We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adelaide and Wine Country advice

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
29 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Adelaide and Wine Country advice

Planning to fly into Adelaide end March 2014 from Sydney, spend a couple of days in Adelaide, couple of days in Clare Valley and a couple of days either Barossa or Hills, returning to Adelaide for a night before taking the train to Melbourne. Does that sound reasonable timing? We like to stay at B&B type accommodation and are more white wine than red wine drinkers. Grateful for ideas on a scenic round trip and for places to stay - we prefer not self-catering.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
9,974 posts
1,338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adelaide and Wine Country advice

1. I presume you will be renting a car for your travels.

2. Clare has some fine white wine makers, like Geoffrey Grosset.

3. Barossa principally produces red wines.

4. Adelaide Hills has some interesting white wine producers.

5. I suspect your timing is reasonable.

6. I am sure you will receive several ideas on accommodation.

7. I suggest you look at southaustralia.com for inspiration :)

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,974 posts
1,338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adelaide and Wine Country advice

In the Clare region, Martindale Hall is an interesting place to visit- it's an historic home.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
29 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adelaide and Wine Country advice

Thanks. We will hire a car. I am thinking probably Clare and Hills given our white wine preference, but I don't think we have time for McLaren. Looking at the accommodation options - it seems that B&B doesn't quite mean what I think of as B&B, but are more self-catering. Is that the case or am I just not looking in the right places? We would like to stay within walking distance of nice restaurants for the evening.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,974 posts
1,338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adelaide and Wine Country advice

1. I suggest you visit McLaren Vale rather than Clare- it's more picturesque. But it's another red wine district.

2. Many Australian B&Bs seem to focus on self catering (unlike the USA and UK).

3. Unfortunately, I am not an expert on B&Bs near my home town! In the Barossa, at the top end, there's the Louise at Marananga- with a fine restaurant. The Novotel in the Barossa combines accommodation and a restaurant.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adelaide and Wine Country advice

You could spend a day (or 2) at the wineries around Hahndorf (like Hahndorf Hill, Shaw and Smith, Nepenthe and The Lane. These are some of my favourite wineries, with great views and great wines. You could also make a stop at Hahndorf for lunch/coffee/dessert. It's about a 40-minute drive to McLaren Vale if you wanted to stay there (or Hahndorf has a few hotels and B&Bs).

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,577 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adelaide and Wine Country advice

Depending on budget why not look at Abbotsford Country House at Lyndoch. Lovely hosts and a good property for those who love a great cooked barossa breakfast. The Adelaide hills is a good region for white wine .. think Shaw and Smith, Nepenthe.. think varietals like Fiano, Pinot Gris along with the usual reisling and sauvignon blanc. Look for Hosted Accommodation .. not B&B .. in your searches. B&B in australia is often self catering.

Edited: 22 January 2014, 05:58
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adelaide and Wine Country advice

Hi - i am the Owner of the Arkaba Hotel on Glen Osmond Rd - we say the "gateway" to the Adelaide Hills. We are planning on putting together some wine tour options inside the next week. From the Ark day tours to the Barossa, McLaren Vale & the sensational wineries & restaurants in the Adelaide Hills are possible - Clare is a about a 2 hour drive. We have on premise an Enomatic wine dispenser serving some stunning wines by the glass - arkabahotel.com.au/__files/…20List.pdf

Email jenny@arkabahotel.com.au if you would like some more details.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
29 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adelaide and Wine Country advice

Many thanks to everyone for advice. (I'd never come across that definition of B&B before - who wants to cook when they are on holiday?) Anyway, I think we now have a plan that will also include McLaren Vale and are awaiting confirmations. Will post when we get back and let you know what we eventually did.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,974 posts
1,338 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adelaide and Wine Country advice

Bon voyage!!

destin
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Adelaide and Wine Country advice

I am arriving in Adelaide by ship on Feb. 17 at 8 am and departing on Feb. 18. I would like to take a wine tour to Barossa. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks