We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houseboat - where to hire from (SA or VIC)?

Which Adelaide hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Houseboat - where to hire from (SA or VIC)?

Hi

It will be our very first experience on a houseboat and my husband and I will be travelling with our 3 little ones (5 and under). Whilst we look forward to the tranquility of the river, we also want to ensure there are places for us to stop a couple of times a day for our little ones onshore (maybe for food or sightseeing). We are planning to spend 3-4 days on the river in May 2014 and need advice on where should we hire the houseboat from, ie our starting point, and where we should head towards. We would appreciate any advice on which companies to hire from. We are looking for mid to luxury boathouses and our two main concerns are child friendly and safety.

Thank you!

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
9,685 posts
1,329 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Houseboat - where to hire from (SA or VIC)?

1. Welcome to Australia :)

2. Several houseboat operators hire their boats from Mannum- a short drive from Adelaide

3. I suggest you look at this website for details of hirers:

http://www.mannum.org.au/houseboats/

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Houseboat - where to hire from (SA or VIC)?

Another site for u to look at Lydia n....http://houseboatbookings.com/

We have been on he houseboats many times and always loved it.

Upstream from Mannun and down from Renmark are some of the most scenic places to see . They only travel at about 5 knots max so its not a fast trip , just very relaxing and feel like u are the only one on the river.There are a few small towns along the river but not a lot so u have to buy supplies where u depart from .

Gray

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Houseboat - where to hire from (SA or VIC)?

Just some general info onthe Murray river

murrayriver.com.au/about-the-murray/…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Houseboat - where to hire from (SA or VIC)?

Thanks both :)

I have done a lot of research online however am a little overwhelmed by the amount of information. And also, not having been to Murray River previously (though we have travelled extensively in other part of Australia), I am not quite sure what to expect. Whilst that is the fun part, with 3 little ones, we do not want unexpected surprises.

There are so many spots to hire from and we have been debating between hiring a houseboat in Echuca VIC or South Australia and the latter has many different options as well.

So it sounds like Renmark or Mannum might be a good choice. What about Murray Bridge or Echuca? I assume these would be busier spots so more traffic in the water??

Thanks again!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Houseboat - where to hire from (SA or VIC)?

I did wonder about having 3 very young kids they will run everywhere and you will have to watch them all the time..

.The sth aus section of the river is much wider than victorian section ..

Have u considered arriving in say Adelaide and then hiring a car and driving thru the riverland and taking river cruises or paddlesteamer cruises from some of the towns they operate from ?usually 1-2 hours .When u hire a houseboat the hire usually doesnt start til 2 -3 pm on the first day and then finishes 9 - 10 am the last day so really only 1 or 2 days to cruise and that wouldn't cover a very big area???

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Houseboat - where to hire from (SA or VIC)?

Hi gray_p

We are planning to take a 2-week vacation and wanted to build in a houseboat stay sometime during the trip. The original idea was to fly into Melbourne, drive to Echuca (coz it seems like a bigger and more popular town), do a 3 or 4 night stay on a houseboat before doing a road trip to Adelaide and its surrounds. Sounds ambitious I know :)

But we have been thinking if it really makes sense to get to Echuca just for the houseboat given there are plenty of options in SA too. We just wanted to be sure we find the right spot to hire from knowing how limited the coverage would be and that we wouldn't get very far.

My husband is very concerned about the safety (3 little ones running around) as well as security (mooring overnight at a bank, "creatures" in the water etc) so we are still keeping our options open, like what you suggested - going on a paddlesteamer instead of staying in a houseboat.

Where would you suggest to be the "best" spot to start our houseboat journey in terms of little towns along the way, breathtaking scenery and opportunities to hop off/on the houseboat?

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,685 posts
1,329 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Houseboat - where to hire from (SA or VIC)?

Here's the website for Proud Mary cruises...

http://proudmary.com.au

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,685 posts
1,329 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Houseboat - where to hire from (SA or VIC)?

May I suggest you reverse your trip- i.e. go from Adelaide to Melbourne rather than Melbourne to Adelaide...

That way, you could drive from Adelaide to your chosen river town to take a houseboat or paddle boat cruise, then make your way to Melbourne

Mannum is readily accessible from Adelaide- significantly closer than Renmark

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Houseboat - where to hire from (SA or VIC)?

Sound s like u realise that u wont have very long on the houseboat even if hiring for 4 days, at a max u would have 2 days cruising so that would be one day going say up river and the next coming back???

Re berthing at nite w e just used to pull into a deserted river bank and tie up to the trees available , thats part of the enjoyment of houseboating most time u can be alone with no one else around , its not spooky or scarey at all its just peaceful/ but a s first timers u may find it scary to be in a spot where no one else is around and very occasionally u do get mice that come aboard on the tie up ropes and once way had a visiting snake next morning who was after the mice but he left when we got up and move d about. If u were going to Melb after then Mannum would be a good starting finishing point a s its not far off the freeway/highway to Melb , but then u may like to go via the great ocean road ?? very spectacular...

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
289 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Houseboat - where to hire from (SA or VIC)?

Renmark is a good place to hire from. Very beautiful part of the river.