We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days itinerary suggestions: from Adelaide to Melbourne

Level Contributor
45 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
4 days itinerary suggestions: from Adelaide to Melbourne

We will arrive Adelaide on Sept 1 and have to be at Melbourne Sept 4 evening/night.

We like scenic sightseeing and prefer self-guided tour, public transport, but will also consider self-driving. We are interested to visit Kangaroo Island but not sure if we have enough time.

Any advice?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,748 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days itinerary suggestions: from Adelaide to Melbourne

How are you getting to Melbourne?

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
9,979 posts
1,338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days itinerary suggestions: from Adelaide to Melbourne

Welcome to Australia :)

Given your limited time, there are a variety of options:

1. Here's a link to a website listing a range of Kangaroo Island tours: www.sealink.com.au/kangaroo-island-tours/

As you can see, you can take a day tour to Kangaroo Island, or stay there overnight or for several days exploring

3. You could spend several days in Adelaide exploring the sights, then fly to Melbourne

4. You could consider driving to Melbourne along the Great Ocean Road- I would allow a couple of days to do that

5. Here's a link to the South Australian tourism website: southaustralia.com

Bon voyage:)

Edited: 06 April 2014, 08:43
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days itinerary suggestions: from Adelaide to Melbourne

It might be a bit of a rush to get down to KI for a day, I generally recommend at least a night on the Island. For those who have limited time the day trips are good but they are long days and if you've arrived late the night before and need to drive off to melbourne the day after I think it could be pushing things a little.

There are many options for you if you are travelling self drive to melbourne and it's hard to suggest a lot without knowing if you are staying in the city or heading off immediately to Victoria. If you love wine I'd suggest driving via Adelaide Hills/McLarenVale or the Coonawarra where you will find plenty of stop-off points. Are you interested in rural scenery or coastal scenery? Do you want to get out of the car and do things or view from the car ? Did you want to explore the city of Adelaide itself before heading to Melbourne? Do you want to see our native animals? (unsure where you are from so hard to know) The bottom line is that unless we know a little bit more about you and what really interests you it is difficult for us to suggest anything other than just the generic information listed above.

Level Contributor
45 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days itinerary suggestions: from Adelaide to Melbourne

Hi everyone,

Appreciate the reply and the tips to review the websites.

We live on the pacific coast of Canada and have traveled a lot on the coastline of Pacific Ocean. We are interested in coastal scenery and like to get out of the car to have a short walk and see native animals and wildlife and nature wonders. This is our first trip to Australia. We have planned to travel Perth/Uluru/Melbourne/Tasmania/Cairns and now have these 4 days gap because the new jetstar route direct from Melbourne to Uluru. We skip Sydney and Alice Spring. We prefer one of the following but not sure if it is doable.

1/ Self-driving to Kangaroo Island (KI) from Adelaide airport (ADL) on Sept 1 and return Sept 4 to take flight to Melbourne (MEL). Will the rental car be able to get on the ferry? The ferry for 2 people and the car are very expensive. Is there other way, e.g. public transport to Cape Jervis and rent the car on the island? Which one will be more economical? Will two full day/night enough time to travel around KI? Any budget accommodation on KI?

2/ Self-driving from ADL to Mel via Great ocean road. It will be nice to have some city sightseeing at ADL before heading down to MEL. Where should we stop for the Sept 1/2 & 2/3 & 3/4 night? There is a 3 day tour from Grovvy Grape with similar itin. but we prefer self-guided tour as it is more relaxed. Does the car rental charge one-way fee?

We will be at Melbourne for 4-5 days before heading to Cairns. We will consider joining a 1 day tour to the Great Ocean road if we choose to go KI. However, we are just not sure KI visit "WORTHs IT" as we will also go to Uluru, that is considered as our "once in a life time" trip. Will you consider KI is also a "must see" same as Uluru?

Sorry that we have so many questions. We have learned so much about traveling by asking the EXPERTS on the forum. Any recommendation in traveling the other part of Australia are also welcome.

Thank you

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,748 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days itinerary suggestions: from Adelaide to Melbourne

Either of those itineraries would be good.

As a "must see' I would rate GOR above KI.

You need to check with the car hire company whether they will allow you to take the car on the ferry (some do ,some don't)

You could catch the Sealink bus and ferry and hire a car on the island or you could fly to KI with Rex and hire a car when you get there. That is what I do and I think it does work out cheaper - and definitely better time wise.

You probably will incur a one way drop off fee if you drive ADL-MEL.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
9,979 posts
1,338 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days itinerary suggestions: from Adelaide to Melbourne

1. I suggest you skip Kangaroo Island, and visit Cleland Wildlife Park while you're in Adelaide- here's their website:

environment.sa.gov.au/clelandwildlife/Home

While KI gives you a great experience, I'm not sure you can fit it into your limited time frame. Cleland should deliver a good and accessible wildlife experience, including seeing kangaroos at close quarters and cuddling a koala

2. If you like driving, GOR is regarded as one of the world's great scenic drives

3. Hence, I would suggest your Option 2 is the better one

4. KI is a delightful and worthwhile place to visit, but given your limited time and cost, it might be a place you may need to leave off your itinerary

Bon voyage :)

7. Re: 4 days itinerary suggestions: from Adelaide to Melbourne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 06:17