We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mclarenvale

Singapore
Level Contributor
229 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Mclarenvale

Will be driving from Crowne Plaza Adelaide to Mclarenvale,thinking of staying overnite but any suggestions where to stay?Anything along the route will be good.

Mentioned in this post
Adelaide
Adelaide
Greater Adelaide, Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,272 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mclarenvale

Plenty of options in McLaren Vale

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g499714-McLaren_Va…

Mentioned in this post
McLaren Vale
McLaren Vale
Singapore
Level Contributor
229 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mclarenvale

Any suggestions any other places to stay besides Mclarenvale thats also on the driving route?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,272 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mclarenvale

McLaren Vale is less than an hours drive from the city. Most of the drive is through suburbia - so no.

Mentioned in this post
McLaren Vale
McLaren Vale
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mclarenvale

Not so much 'on the way to McLaren Vale' as 'Go through McLarenVale' to get to.........Victor Harbour and Port Elliot. Two of my favorite spots in all of SA.

If you are there in winter, Victor Harbour is one of the best places to spot Southern Right Whales.

There is also a colony of Little Penguins.

There are some great walking trails, quite a few good little art galleries and lots of cafes and restaurants.

I would drive down to McLaren Vale,spend some time checking out the wineries (making sure the driver watches how much they drink VERY carefully), then head down to either Victor or Port Elliot and stay there for the night.

Mentioned in this post
McLaren Vale
McLaren Vale
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,272 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mclarenvale

Ummm - Emel the penguins are very few and far between these days. You will really struggle to find any wild ones- though there are a few breeders in the penguin centre.

AND its Victor HarbOr - no "u".

I actually work in VH (though I don't live there) and its also not a place I would recommend for café culture - especially in the winter- most places have very short opening hours. Was down there for a wedding 2 weeks ago and other guests were complaining that they couldn't find a cup of coffee on a Saturday morning.

McLaren Vale is actually MUCH more interesting food wise IMO as is Willunga

Mentioned in this post
Victor Harbor
Victor Harbor
South Australia, Australia
McLaren Vale
McLaren Vale
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mclarenvale

Things must have quietened down in the last couple of years since I used to visit regularly.

My friends had a house at Port Elliot and we spent many an enjoyable weekend with them at Victor and Port Elliot. Brunch was always a highlight, followed by a long walk and a spot of whale watching.

I've only seen the little penguins once and thought that I was just there on a bad day as there didn't seem to be many of them coming out of the water.

I bow to your current experience of the area.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,272 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mclarenvale

Port Elliot and Goolwa are also better than VH for food/coffee options.

But the OP was actually asking about McLaren Vale.

Mentioned in this post
McLaren Vale
McLaren Vale
8. Re: Mclarenvale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 06:16