We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Spare Hours Adelaide

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
4 Spare Hours Adelaide

Hi, we have 4 hours spare with a hire car in May before we have to pick my sister up from the airport any suggestions where to drive to maybe for a nice morning tea.

Adelaide, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Spare Hours Adelaide

Hi Susan, as a local I would recommend heading to some of Adelaide's seaside suburbs, such as Glenelg, Brighton or Henley Beach.

There are some great cafe's in this area. My favourites are Zest and Grind It down Glenelg.

If you are looking to go for a longer drive in the Hills and getting into the country side, I would suggest Stirling or Hahndorf these towns are about 30 minutes drive out of from the CBD and offer a range of cute, cozy cafes.

Hope this is of some help.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
9,918 posts
1,339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Spare Hours Adelaide

Adding to the list....

1. Botanic Gardens

2. Mount Lofty House

3. Scenic Hotel Norton Summit

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Spare Hours Adelaide

Thank you so much - will definitely follow your advice.

Cheers

Sue

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Spare Hours Adelaide

Thanks for this Ellie we now have a full day as well with the hire car and would like a day trip. Our flight leaves Adelaide at 6, so looking for suggestions for a round trip.

Cheers

Sue

Adelaide, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Spare Hours Adelaide

Well I have a few suggestions for you Susan,

If you are interested in heading to some wineries I would head to the Adelaide Hills, this is where Hahndorf is a cute German country town, and nearby are a some great wineries, I recommend Shaw and Smith, Nepenthe and Bird in Hand (make sure you use the spittoon for who's driving). The drive through the hill is really quite beautiful.

Another popular wine tasting area is in McLaren Vale which is about 40 minutes from the centre of the city. There are a lot of great wineries and good wine produced in this region.

If you are not interested in wine tasting, and want to head out a little further I suggest to do a drive to Victor Harbour, Port Elliot and (depending on time) Goolwa. These seaside country towns are out of Adelaide and easy to get to and just over 1 hour drive (you actually drive past McLaren Vale on the way through). There are some cute places down there and you could walk over to Granite Island in Victor Harbour, and have a coffee at Horseshoe Bay in Port Elliot. The scenery here is quite beautiful. If you to head here take a warmer jacket as it is often a few degrees cooler then Adelaide, but nothing unbearable.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Spare Hours Adelaide

Thank you so much Elle

Cheers

Sue

L R
adelaide
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 Spare Hours Adelaide

we like semaphore, lovely beach and not as built up as glenelg Try foot, swedish tarts, - a walk along the beach to largs and a coffee at the cafe there (the one up the street) would be a pleasant couple of hours

8. Re: 4 Spare Hours Adelaide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Adelaide