We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly form Sydney to Adelaide or Drive?

Which Adelaide hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fly form Sydney to Adelaide or Drive?

We are planning a holiday in October. We are hiring a campervan in Sydney, attending Bathurst, then have booked Dream Weaver houseboat for 7 nights. We are just unsure weather we drive in camper from Sydney to Adelaide. If we drive, we will lose two days on the river but will it be worth it? What is the drive like and is there much to view on the way? Thoughts please :-)

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly form Sydney to Adelaide or Drive?

Do you mean you would set aside 2 days for the drive? No, if you don't know what you want to see along the route and don't want to make time to do it properly then don't do it, just fly. Plus wouldn't driving incur a one-way fee? Really not worth it.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly form Sydney to Adelaide or Drive?

as a south australian i would suggest flying can get tickets from about $100 one way with Jetstar a subsidiary of Qantas. have driven this route many times and if u go thru the blue mountains its very pretty then opens out to reasonably flat barren plains till u get well into sth australia.And the cost of hiring the vehicle for extra days petrol insurance accommodation etc would far out weigh the cost of a plane ticket.if u look up jetstar u will se e that they have $$55 per person special on the sydney adl sydney flights plus charge s for seating baggage insce still quite a good price tho.,,,,http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/special-offers

dates are from 14th oct to mid dec...

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly form Sydney to Adelaide or Drive?

The OP didn't really mention cost. What confuses me is, the houseboat is booked for seven days, >>if we drive we lose two days on the river<<. Does that mean the boat is booked the day you leave Bathurst? If not, then do the drive. There is a lot of nothingness, but is Midwest NSW nothingness, and if you haven't seen it and you have the time it is worth a look

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,981 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly form Sydney to Adelaide or Drive?

About 25 years ago now,, I left Canberra after work with a few friends one Friday night and we were in Adelaide for breakfast

I am not recommending you do that but I am suggesting you can get there a lot quicker than 2 days.

I find the drive fairly un interesting but I have seen it all before many times as I have lived at multiple locations along the route such as Harden and Balranald.

Just a couple of pointers for the shortest route.

- your sat nav will tell you to go via Wagga Wagga. The shortest route is to turn off at the Harden Temora exit on the Hume Highway after Yass and head for Narrandera. It saves about 30 minutes.

- If you are heading for South Adelaide, turn off in Balranald.

- If you are heading to North Adelaide, go through Mildura.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,431 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly form Sydney to Adelaide or Drive?

Another vote for flying.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
9,774 posts
1,330 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly form Sydney to Adelaide or Drive?

Fly

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,566 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly form Sydney to Adelaide or Drive?

Yep fly!!

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fly form Sydney to Adelaide or Drive?

Fly and relax on the river

9. Re: Fly form Sydney to Adelaide or Drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 06:15