We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Adelaide to Melbourne - Need suggestions

Vellore, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip from Adelaide to Melbourne - Need suggestions

Hi, I am driving with family - wife and 8 month old child. Provisional itinerary is start on 23 July from Adelaide and reach Melbourne on 24 afternoon with a stop for the night some place; return - start on 26 morn and reach Adelaide on 28 eve.

I cant afford to take my time on the onward journey, hence I feel the direct route through Nhill will be the way to go; but while returning, I would like to take the scenic route via the Great Ocean Road.

The input I seek is in regard to the following

1. Suggestions for a safe place to stay overnight during the onward journey.

2. Got work at Prahran in Melbourne, any ideas regarding places to stay nearby

3. Best way to utilise the time during the return trip

4. Suggestions regarding places to stay during the return trip.

I wasnt born with a silver spoon, neither was one thrust into my mouth; hence budget per night would be around 100 dollars if possible. Lesser would be great, but more would be accepted with a sigh.

Thanks

Ajay

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
9,906 posts
1,339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from Adelaide to Melbourne - Need suggestions

Welcome to Australia and TripAdvisor!

1. I suggest you drive to Melbourne in one day, especially if you have two drivers in your party. Otherwise you could stay overnight somewhere like Horsham. Driving to Melbourne in one day allows you to either spend a day sightseeing in Melbourne or an extra day on the return trip

2. In Melbourne, I suggest you look at serviced apartment operators such as Quest, Oaks and Mantra

3. On the return journey, I suggest you look at staying overnight in places such as Apollo Bay, Warrnambool, Port Fairy, Mount Gambier or Robe- depending on the time you decide you have available

Bon voyage!

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,906 posts
1,339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from Adelaide to Melbourne - Need suggestions

Here is a useful link:

australia.com/explore/…great-ocean-road.aspx

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
6,522 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from Adelaide to Melbourne - Need suggestions

You might be struggling to get accommodation at around $100 a night but as it is off peak season you may be able to get something at that price if you shop around.

As you are an overseas visitor please read the section in the top right hand column of the Australia forum titled driving in Australia before you commence your trip even if you have driven in Australia before.

www.visitvictoria.com.au will have plenty of information to assist you in planning your trip.

The GOR forum has plenty of recent information if you do a search of that forum.

Good luck with this and drive safely.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
707 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from Adelaide to Melbourne - Need suggestions

Hi! Ajay. I have travelled between adelaide and melbourne and back many times over the last 30 years. Nhill is halfway but Horsham is the bigger town and has more accommodation options. check out cabins in caravan parks they are reasonably priced. You could drive through in one day as suggested however with an 8 month old and taking into consideration the early sunset times (kangaroos start to come out from dusk) at this time of year you are probably wise to break the journey particularly if you haven't travelled on country roads before. The road has improved over the years but most is still single lane in either direction...if in doubt don't overtake, stop every two hours to refuel, for a drink/something to eat and stretch. Coonalpyn and Nhill Ararat, Beaufort, Ballarat are good places to stop. Public toilets and places to eat in all of these. There is a nice bakery in Nhill. From Ballarat it's pretty much dual carriageway into Melbourne. Plan your route into & out of Melbourne well and be aware of the toll roads. I agree with the other reviewer re accommodation in melbourne try for an apartment. If this trip is your only opportunity to do the great ocean road then go for it, but the weather may not be that great, could be cold and wet/windy which does not make for great sightseeing, having said that anywhere in that part of the country in July could be cold/and wet!. Try cabins in caravan parks on the return journey as well. I agree with the other reviewer re stops on the return. Good travels and enjoy the time as a family!

Vellore, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip from Adelaide to Melbourne - Need suggestions

Thanks AdelaidianTraveller, I'd love to reach melbourne the same day, but dont want to push my luck. I will see how it goes. How advisable is it to just get on the road and seek accomodation on reaching a town on the way?

Vellore, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip from Adelaide to Melbourne - Need suggestions

Thanks Farmrick, I have read it and found it useful.

Vellore, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip from Adelaide to Melbourne - Need suggestions

Thanks, Angus, your suggestions are helpful. Like I asked Adelaidian Traveller, how advisable is it to look for accomodation after reaching a town enroute? You said watch for Toll roads, could you elaborate?

I have driven on the left of the road all my life with traffic going both ways in roads without medians, and sometimes have faced vehicles coming at me in my lane even. I find Australian roads very relaxing and peaceful. But I will ensure that I am reasonably rested and alert by taking frequent breaks.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,906 posts
1,339 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip from Adelaide to Melbourne - Need suggestions

I suggest you start your drive from Adelaide either early- about 7am- or wait until about 9am, so you do not drive in peak hour traffic

With two drivers, and rest breaks along the way, you should reach Melbourne by late afternoon/ evening

I suggest you look at Google Maps for driving directions- that will give you "toll free" driving directions

Here is the link for details about Melbourne toll roads: http://www.citylink.com.au/home.asp

Bon voyage!

Edited: 01 July 2014, 23:44
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip from Adelaide to Melbourne - Need suggestions

Adelaide to Melbourne is a fairly straight forward day trip, not overly taxing, but you do need to schedule regular rest stops for long distance travel here.....you will see signposts along the way encouraging you to take a rest when weary

As suggested, do it during daylight hours if possible, as at night the interstate trucks take over the road, and kangaroos can also pose a problem....I did it overnight during winter once while towing a caravan, never again!

I generally have rest stops at Tailem Bend, Bordertown (or just over the border), Horsham in Victoria, then straight into Melbourne.

You'll have no problems obtaining fuel or food, as all the major towns have roadhouses, where even showers are available (for interstate truck drivers).

Generally speaking it's around a 7-8 hour journey, do watch your speed though, as even though it's mainly straight highway travel, the road is always policed with radar guns to catch the unwary (and I'm sure they catch plenty).

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road trip from Adelaide to Melbourne - Need suggestions

On the way back, the Great Ocean Rd is a far better drive, and one you are wise to take your time with...it's considered one of the "must do's" even for Australians, with stunning views and lovely little seaside towns.

Where you choose to stay along the way will be your own decision, dependant on whether you like the larger towns or something more like a small village atmosphere.

From Melbourne head through Geelong, and consider a short stop (or even a hike) in Lorne as there's some lovely countryside to take in.

Travel the Great Ocean Rd at a leisurely pace, taking in the cliffs, Twelve Apostles and shipwreck coast, while concentrating on the road fully as a driver.

Pt Fairy is about 250km from Melbourne, so anywhere from there onwards makes a good first stop. Also consider Warnambool (a much larger town), or Pt Campbell a smaller seaside hamlet.

Either Robe or Mt Gambier also make great overnight stops for your second night. My own personal favourite of the two is Mt Gambier, as I enjoy the Blue Lakes, tour of the Aquifer, underground gardens, and cave tours....at Mount Gambier I actually choose to stay in a cabin at the caravan park, as it's relatively inexpensive, you have your own cooking facilities, it's surrounded by some good walking trails and overlooking the Blue Lakes, plus you have the time to discuss the trip with other travellers, comparing notes and discovering other points of interest.

From this area head on through Coonawarra (wine growing region), Kingston (small seaside town), Cape Jaffa and the Coorong.

Cross the Murray River at Wellington, then head through Strathalbyn, Goolwa and into Victor Harbour which makes another great stopping point for the third night (Granite Island, penguins, whale watching, cockle train, horse drawn carriage ride).

From Victor Harbour through the Fleurieu Peninsula and Mt Compass, Yankallila and McLaren Vale back into Adelaide.

All along the way you will find things of interest and activities to take up your time. Research all these towns to find things of interest to you (there are many to choose from), and taking your time on this trip will really make it something to remember.

Get answers to your questions about Adelaide