We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week holiday in Adelaide - stay just in the city?

Nelson
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
A week holiday in Adelaide - stay just in the city?

Hi, my husband and I (50yrs) are escaping for a city buzz to Adelaide for a week. Keen to do venture out to Kangaroo Island and Barossa and Hahndorf but not sure whether to just do day trips or stay anywhere other than central Adelaide??? Seems that there is plenty to do just a day trip away.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week holiday in Adelaide - stay just in the city?

I would do at least an overnight on Kangaroo Is, there is so much to see.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week holiday in Adelaide - stay just in the city?

If you only have one week I would suggest that Kangaroo Island is more than a day trip,.......it''ll take over 2 hours driving from the city, then an hour on the ferry just to get there (same in return), so that would be more than 6 hours from a single day trip gone without even seeing anything on the island,

Following this, the different attractions (Remarkable Rocks, Kelly Hill Caves, Admirals Arch, Seal Bay, Flinders Chase, etc) can involve quite a lot of travel with the island being 150km long. so I believe you should allow about 3 days for the Kangaroo Island portion of your trip, taking accomodation on the island....certainly no less than at least an overnighter which would provide you with two part days top explore the island and its attractions.

Both Hahndorf and tha Barossa are convenient for day trips from the city though....maybe a half day for Hahndorf and a full day for the Barossa.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
1,344 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week holiday in Adelaide - stay just in the city?

Welcome to the TA Adelaide forum:)

1. Here's the link to the South Australian tourism website: www.southaustralia.com

This offers many ideas for sightseeing and day trips

2. Here's a link for Kangaroo Island sightseeing tours: www.sealink.com.au

3. You could base yourself in Adelaide, and take day tours to various areas - doing that, you could easily spend a fulfilling week in Adelaide and environs

4. For wildlife experiences closer than KI, try the Cleland Wildlife Park and the Monarto Zoo:)

Bon voyage!

4. Re: A week holiday in Adelaide - stay just in the city?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 June 2015, 10:35
Hallett Cove
Level Contributor
363 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week holiday in Adelaide - stay just in the city?

And dont forget we are the city of churches....with our latest cathedral "Adelaide Oval" thebest cricket arena!!(if you are here over a weekend a game of AFL for something different). Museums, Library and Art Galleries on North Terrace ( northern CBD). or awalking tour through themarket and restaurant precinct southern CBD

There is so much dining potential in the city or tram ride to Glenelg eateries etc.

There is a local wine tour (all day which takes in Adelaide Hills and McLarenVale) usually including mornos and a lunch...so you get to see a fair bit of the city and its environs. TA is sure to have a list of such ventures.If you ae thinking KI then maybe a trip down the peninsular doing your own wine adventure thu McLaren Vale, overnighting at Victor Harbour and an early trip to the ferry to KI.

Sorry for the overload....enjoy

Kalgoorlie-Boulder...
Level Contributor
27 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week holiday in Adelaide - stay just in the city?

Adelaide, KI and the Barossa in 5-7 days is probably one location too many. Check out the South Australian tourism website for additional information to help you decide.

We did Adelaide and the Barossa in 6 days - 3 nights each, staying at Nutripoota (close to Maggie Beer and Grant Burge). From there we launched day trips to Hahndorf, etc.

Recommendations:

1. Adelaide Market walking tour

2. We stayed in a chalet at Nutripoota - the kitchen was invaluable for the fridge (to store our daily wine purchases) and to prepare all the gourmet nibbles and extras. We didn't cook - just ate!

3. Don't go to Hahndorf on the weekend, especially Sunday!

4. Find a wonderful vineyard - don't fret, most will ship wine home free of charge if you purchase a certain number.

5. The Barossa Weekend market - a highlight. Can't remember if it was on Saturday or Sunday - it was just great. Bought beer, chocolate, cider vinegar, jams, salami, balsamic vinegar and cryvact meat for the larder and delicious Cornish pasties, coffee, German cakes and pate for instant consumption.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A week holiday in Adelaide - stay just in the city?

Hi Genabena, I agree with many of the other posts. If you are into wine then day trips to the Barossa, Clare or McLaren Vale are recommended. I definitely suggest a trip to the Adelaide hills and Handorf/Stirling for great restaurants.

The Adelaide Central markets on a Friday night/Saturday are always busy but interesting. Recently I went on a relatively new Adelaide chocolate tour (organised by a company called Foodi tours). The cost of the tour was reasonable (~AUD$39) given the duration of the tour was approximately 2.5-3 hours. We visited 7 venues and had tastings at each, learning about the history of chocolate and the chocolate making process. From established chocolateries to up and coming producers, the tour was a delight for the senses!

You also can't go past the beautiful beaches of Adelaide - Seacliff, Glenelg, Henley Beach (all close to the city) or a day trip to Port Willunga or Victor Harbour. I hope you have a great trip.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A week holiday in Adelaide - stay just in the city?

You've not indicated your interests, your mode of transport or your physical abilities which does make it difficult for us to really offer much more than general advice and, as everyone has an opionion, you'll end up with a lot of superfluous information.

IMHO Kangaroo Island is wonderful for those who seek out pristine environments and nature but certainly is best enjoyed over a few days. It's not a small island.

The SATourism website is the first point of call for tourist informationbut I also suggest you might like to look at some short videos which showcase of the closer regions to Adelaide. I've posted these links before and many people say that they have found them helpful. They give you a brief snapshot of each region and from those, you might be able to select some things of interest to you. With the exception of KI many regions are just a short drive away (Adel Hills, Clare, Barossa, Fleurieu) Take a look and then see what things appeal and perhaps make more specific plans. We can then offer you more information regarding accommodation and itineraries after you decide WHERE you will be and for how long.

www.salife7.com.au (type "must see must do" in the search box and all the regional clips will show)

9. Re: A week holiday in Adelaide - stay just in the city?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2015, 05:15