We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which one better? metrocard or visitor pass?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
297 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
which one better? metrocard or visitor pass?

Hi,

I'm in dilemma whether to get a metrocard or visitor pass as I'm not sure how the public transport system goes. Can I do any refund if I purchase a metrocard and at the end of the trip I don't manage to use up all the credit?

Do I save more when I use a metrocard?

Thanks.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
1,352 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which one better? metrocard or visitor pass?

You have asked a most interesting question, which is very difficult to answer without knowing how you intend to utilise public transport!

The Metrocard stores credit, and debits the fare on each journey

The Visitor Pass allows unlimited travel for the period of its validity

Bon voyage:)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
747 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which one better? metrocard or visitor pass?

Hi livien! I gather from your previous posts you will be visiting Adelaide in the near future, is that correct? If you would like to put your proposed itinerary on the TA Forum that might help some of us advise you further. Regarding the public transport system in Adelaide....It is an integrated system connecting Trains, Tram, Buses and O-Bahn (North -East Busway). You can use the same ticket on the entire network, transferring seamlessly between the different modes. If you are a visitor you may purchase a metrocard Visitor Pass for 3 Consecutive days travel for AUD25.00. After the 3 days the card can be recharged. It is not possible to get a refund so only put credit on the card which you think you will use.

If you don't think you will use consecutive days travel...you have some options...you may purchase a single daytrip ticket AUD9.70.

You could purchase a 'normal' metrocard initial cost AUD5.00 plus the amount of credit you want to apply to the card. The amount deducted from the card depends on the day and time you travel. Here are some links with more details and information

http://adelaidemetro.com.au/Tickets/Fares

adelaidemetro.com.au/Visitor-Pass-Campaign/H…

You certainly save money with a visitormetrocard or normal metrocard over the purchase of 'single trip' tickets.

Some visitors keep their metrocards for future travel, others give their cards to friends who are travelling to Adelaide, others may decide to leave their cards with the hotel concierge where they are staying, who can then pass the card to other visitors.

Travelling by public transport in Adelaide is pretty easy, just make sure you check timetables and know what your return departure time options are. Services decrease after 1900 hours. Some trips you could do would be the Tram to Glenelg, Train to Port Adelaide, O-Bahn to Modbury (Tea Tree Plaza) (a large shopping centre)(along the River Torrens Linear Trail). Bus to Hahndorf, Train to Brighton (at the beach). Train to Gawler. Bus to Cleland Wildlife Park.

I hope this has been of assistance!

Mentioned in this post
Adelaide
Adelaide
Greater Adelaide, Australia
Glenelg
Glenelg
Cleland Wildlife Park
Cleland Wildlife Park
1,154 Reviews
Crafers, Australia
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which one better? metrocard or visitor pass?

Thanks Angus! You just answered one of my queries about Adelaide.

Mentioned in this post
Adelaide
Adelaide
4. Re: which one better? metrocard or visitor pass?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2015, 05:18