We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Cost of Getting from Airport to Accommodation in City

Auckland
Level Contributor
151 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Cost of Getting from Airport to Accommodation in City

I have just spent about half an hour trying to get up to date costs on a shuttle or taxi to accommodation in the vicinity of the convention centre, required prior for part of approval process to attend a conference. I cannot believe how difficult it is to navigate the various sites to try to find this out, I have never had this trouble with other cities.

It seems the Skyline shuttle no longer exists and others don't seem to give information easily for transfers to hotels. Tried to use estimators on a couple of taxi sites but they won't accept the address without a suburb - CBD or City Centre don't work. Aaagghhh, so frustrating.

Can anyone help me please? Don't have a final destination yet as accommodation options still require approval but likely to be Oaks Horizons or Mercure Grosvenor or there abouts. A price for shuttle and taxi to compare would be great if possible. Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Oaks Horizons
Oaks Horizons
631 Reviews
Adelaide, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Cost of Getting from Airport to Accommodation in City

I use the following web site which has a Google Maps backend and seems to be quite accurate:

http://taxifare.com.au/

I just put in "Adelaide" as the destination which was accepted fine (with origin Adelaide Airport).

The cost is only $15 to $20 according to that site- which I think is reasonable, maybe $25 if traffic is bad. Adelaide airport is extremely close to the city by world standards. I don't know about shuttles, I've never used anything but a taxi since the fare is so reasonable given the proximity.

Auckland
Level Contributor
151 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Cost of Getting from Airport to Accommodation in City

Thank you so much for such a prompt reply. Didn't realise the airport was so close, no wonder there aren't any shuttles. Will go with $25 which will give me some leeway. Much appreciated!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Cost of Getting from Airport to Accommodation in City

Yes there is an airport shuttle...a mini bus called skylink.

Also adelaide metro has just started a jet bus service, and a 3 day visitor transport card for $25....see www.adelaidemetro..jetbus ♡

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Cost of Getting from Airport to Accommodation in City

Bus fare one way should only be about $3.80 or so.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Cost of Getting from Airport to Accommodation in City

Yes I think the reason is that by far the quickest and easiest way to get to the cbd is to jump in a taxi.. ten minutes on a good day... perhaps thirty in peak traffic (rare) and you're there..

Edited: 08 August 2014, 05:44
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Cost of Getting from Airport to Accommodation in City

The Jet Bus service is by far the cheapest option, but I too would just grab a taxi, as that can take you straight to the hotel door with no fuss.

The airport is only about 6km from the CBD (around 15 minutes in traffic), so as others have already suggested $20-25 would be around the mark.

6am - 7.00pm peak rates are $3.70 flagfall, then $1,77 per kilometre

7.00pm - 6.00am, offpeak rates are $4.90 flagfall, then $1,94 per kilometre

Taxis are always waiting right outside the doors of the terminal as you exit.

7. Re: Help! Cost of Getting from Airport to Accommodation in City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:17