We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adelaide to Melbourne by Firefly Coach - anyone done this?

France
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Adelaide to Melbourne by Firefly Coach - anyone done this?

As the title, is this a good service ?

We are travelling between Adelaide and Melbourne on the 27/28 December. First time visit to Australia so don't want to view Victoria from 35,000 feet.

Would take a train but only one during that one is the 26th and we are spending that day with family.

Firefly looks as though it's a good service, any experience?

Thank you

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
9,807 posts
1,330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adelaide to Melbourne by Firefly Coach - anyone done this?

How much are they charging? It may be not much more expensive to fly...

Bon voyage:)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,994 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adelaide to Melbourne by Firefly Coach - anyone done this?

G'day Gelsie,

I've done the journey on both Firefly and Greyhound, as well as The Overland.

Of course The Overland is the most leisurely and scenic, but as it's not in consideration, no point discussing it.

The Firefly Express Daylight service is unfortunately the longest of the bus services, it being almost two hours longer than the Overnight Service. That said, the timetable has considerable traffic time scheduled, and it can arrive early. However, you are catching it intentionally to view scenery, which would eliminate the Overnight service (which ironically covers more townships than the Daylight service). Thoughts;

Pro's - you will get to see parts of Victoria that you wouldn't see, unless you drive yourself.

Con's - it is a long journey (12 hrs compared to Overnight service which is 10.5 hrs), and the meal stops at the service stations are horrible (so if you're going to do this, aside from drinks and sweets, bring some basic food). It can get overwhelmingly hot during the Daylight service, so be sure to dress light. Sunglasses are a must. Use every opportunity to use restroom before the journey and during the meal stop. Nobody ever wants to use toilets on a bus.

Summary - if you can reschedule your itinerary to catch the Overland, I would take that option. There's no comparison to levels of comfort (being able to walk around).

An alternative to minimise the duration on the bus, is the VLine DayLink. It is a 10hr bus from Adelaide to Bendigo, then train into Melbourne.

Lastly, as AT suggested above, it is often cheaper taking a LCC to Melbourne, but that would defeat the purpose of the road trip.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 14:46
Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
9,807 posts
1,330 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adelaide to Melbourne by Firefly Coach - anyone done this?

Have you thought of renting a car and driving?

AT@TA

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adelaide to Melbourne by Firefly Coach - anyone done this?

Yeah I have, but not during daylight hours.

I purchased a classic car in Melbourne, sight unseen from part of a car collection, then had to get over there in a hurry to pick it up, intending to drive it home along the Great Ocean Rd as my first big trip, and to see how it performed on the journey home.

It was too much hassle to get from my home to the airport for a flight, then from Tullamarine Airport in Vic to where the car was in East Brighton, so I instead chose to take the overnight Firefly coach which departs Adelaide about 8,00pm (from memory), where I could catch a few winks on the way, and arrive in the centre of Melbourne first thing in the morning (where the car owner could meet me).

I had a meal at Chinatown in Adelaide (very close to the central bus depot) prior to leaving. The coach stopped for food and drinks in Horsham Vic, then did the final leg to Melbourne arriving at about 6.30-7.30am (again from memory only)..

The service was excellent, in a modern, clean and comfortable coach, and I slept most of the way to arrive relatively fresh and ready for a long day.

I can't quite remember the cost though, so just going on my very dubious memory I recon it was about $60-80.

France
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Adelaide to Melbourne by Firefly Coach - anyone done this?

Thanks

No it's is not much more expensive to fly and would be quite convenient too for other reasons, but that defeats the object of getting to see a little of Australia. Although we sometimes enjoy flying we never enjoy airports, unless Australia has something mighty different to anywhere else on the planet.

It's hard to believe but we do enjoy long distance bus travel from time to time. It can be a very social thing and I don't have to drive either so can look out the window as much as the non drivers. It's possible to get a feel for the country outside your window by being on the road, impossible from a plane.

We are renting cars twice during our Australia visit and intended to drive from Adelaide to Melbourne, but we had a few family arrangements to make before we could book the third car rental and didn't see that as it's over the Christmas period the prices would double. Add to which the worldwide car rental industry ability to invent extra charges that are not explained or even given values until you book, the cost to drive during the Christmas week has become prohibitive... seriously.

Thanks to you all, it's very helpful, and in particular to RA as you have confirmed what we hoped.

KVE 1005, do you want to become our personal tour guide? You have given such great information over a number of threads. If you are ever in France there's a couple of beers waiting for you unless we are in Adelaide, Brisbane or Melbourne during our coming trip.

We haven't deserted rail, starting to plan the following now to include the CZ from CHI to SFC, we have been let off of the leash.

Cheers

Edited: 10 August 2014, 16:17
France
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Adelaide to Melbourne by Firefly Coach - anyone done this?

That should read -

"If you are ever in France there's a couple of beers waiting for you unless YOU are in Adelaide, Brisbane or Melbourne during our coming trip."

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adelaide to Melbourne by Firefly Coach - anyone done this?

Actually, that should read -

"Ranger, as YOU are in Adelaide during our coming trip, there will be PLENTY of beers waiting for you!" :)

Edited: 10 August 2014, 16:56
France
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Adelaide to Melbourne by Firefly Coach - anyone done this?

My Bad

(just learnt that a couple of days ago and not 100% sure of it's meaning!)

Sorry didn't look at where you are, but we are in Adelaide from 7 - 13 December and 26 - 27 too, but those last two days may be busy. Ranger you are right of course and it would be a pleasure, but can we debate the word plenty?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,994 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adelaide to Melbourne by Firefly Coach - anyone done this?

G'day Gelsie,

It's my absolute pleasure. Like many people on the forums, I enjoy helping out wherever we can, and it just so happened that your itinerary coincided with areas where I have had some experience.

Thank you for the kind gesture, and would be delighted to be your personal tour guide 😊. By coincidence, I recently finished consulting for a new hotel in Paris, which may have been a good opportunity to share a beverage. But please be sure to enjoy both the beer and wines in Australia, as it is definitely one of the things we have, that is "something mighty different to anywhere else on the planet".

Although the cost of driving/transport over Christmas maybe prohibitive, the positive over this period (up until around the 27th December) is that hotel rates in the major cities are quite low. So in terms of timing, it's a good opportunity it to take advantage of some good rates.

I have this funny suspicion that 'plenty' in Ranger terms, means 'more than any other human being' 😝

Edited: 10 August 2014, 18:16
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Adelaide to Melbourne by Firefly Coach - anyone done this?

And I am only joking around.........I do not expect anyone to supply me with beer.

If you are in Adelaide though, feel free to drop me a line by personal message here, whereby I can supply my contact number.

Early/mid December is generally a busy period for my work, prior to the week off I normally take between Christmas and New Year, but if you run into any unexpected problems during your stay, or need some fast local advice, I can certainly do what I can to help or offer assistance/guidance over the telephone.

Geez with the nice weather here during December, if you or one of your party are feeling extra extra adventurous, and if you've/they've never been on one before, maybe if you twisted my arm hard enough, I could even be convinced to down tools, call it quits for the day, and pull the Harley Davidson out of the shed for an hour or two one afternoon, for a quick tour through the countryside or the Barossa Valley! Much better than a bus ride for scenery, a great excuse for me to stop work, and this one's even for free..............IF you entrust your safety and wellbeing to a complete stranger, in a foreign country, riding on the back of a motorcycle! Hahaha!

Oh, and in my own short time here on these forums, I've quickly learned that you can trust that KVE fellah for good up to date and reliable information and advice!

Edited: 10 August 2014, 18:51