We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car with a 4 am return

Which Adelaide hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis, MN USA
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car with a 4 am return

Our flight out of Adelaide is 6 am, and we need to return our renal car at 4 am. The rental car companies at the airport don't open until 6 am. Are there key drops, or any idea of a company we can use to return the car at 4.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
9,780 posts
1,330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car with a 4 am return

Welcome to the TA Adelaide forum:)

I suggest you contact the company you are renting from directly to make arrangements for the return of your car

Shifting gears, I hope you have a great time in South Australia!

Bon voyage:)

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,929 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car with a 4 am return

And if there are key drops, be sure to take plenty of photos of the car as you drop it off, don't want any claims of damage coming back to haunt you.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,698 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car with a 4 am return

Happens regularly. Companies provide drop boxes. No biggie. I have done it myself at Adelaide Airport. Take photos with your phone before and after hiring and mention you will be dropping off out of hours when you pick up.

Hallett Cove
Level Contributor
362 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car with a 4 am return

There shouldnt be any real problem with the world wide recognisable companies...its only the more obscure smaller operators that might cause off-site problems at that hour. Check to see if your co. has inside terminal a.h. drop....cheers

Minneapolis, MN USA
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car with a 4 am return

Thank you for your responses. The rates from Access rent a car through Airport Car hire are substantially cheaper than other car rentals. Has anyone used them or had trouble with them? Is Access a large company there?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,943 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car with a 4 am return

Never heard of access. the fact they have meet and greet concerns me at 4am… what do you do if no one turns up?

I would suggest with an after hours drop of you stick to companies like Hertz, Avis, Budget, Thrifty. Joining their loyalty program (free) such as Avis Wizard, often gives a much cheaper rate.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car with a 4 am return

All good advice on here. Take lots of photos & don't forget to lock your car when you return it. It will be dark so make sure you have a flash camera. You really would have to use the on-site major rental agencies at the airport. I highly doubt the smaller companies will come out at 4am to finalise your rental return and get the keys, so you may be stuck with problems in such an instance.

Europcar are another firm that has a large presence here. Look up the rental company websites direct, not through a booking agent or consolidator-type site.

The only other thing you might be able to do is look up prices on Australian airline websites. Each airline partners with particular rental car companies and often offers discounted rates. So go to the respective airline website (Qantas, Virgin Australia, Jetstar, Tigerair) & then find the link to hire car bookings on their website.

8. Re: Renting a car with a 4 am return

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 06:16