We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adelaide or Port Douglas

Annapolis
4 posts
Save Topic
Adelaide or Port Douglas

I am currently scheduled to fly into Port Douglas mid February. I have spent about 5 months there previously on a schooner and enjoyed the area by land and sea. Friends who live in Adelaide say it will be too hot in Port D. and I should see Adelaide/South Australia instead. I have two weeks and they say enjoy the pubs, go to the wineries and the beach, see Kangeroo Island and it will be easy to fill two weeks. But you have me scared of total boredom. I have to decide right away. Help!

P.S. I've been Alice Springs, Uluru, Sydney, Tasmania, Whit Sundays and loved Brisbane and had fun in Melbourne. (Will have just spent 3 wks in South Island New Zealand.

Mentioned in this post
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adelaide or Port Douglas

Hi SunFlwr - well if you start off with the attitude that you will be totally bored you probably will be!!. I always recommend that people dont go to Port Douglas in February because of the weather - and if you've already spent five months not sure what you would see there that you haven't already seen.

But obviously you do want to go back there - so why are you even asking the question.? I think you just want us to confirm for you that Adelaide is boring.

Well I live here and i dont find it boring at all - but then it has lots of things that interest me - like fantastic restaurants, great wine easily accessible countryside for walking and cycling, lovely beaches and most of the time reasonable weather. If you think all of those things sound boring then I guess better off not to come here.

We have friends coming from Canada in a couple of weeks and staying for a week which will be totally packed with activity and since they are not interested in wine that will not even include going to any wineries and probably not too many beach days either as it isn't hot enough yet..

So why not spend a week in Adelaide to see your friends and enjoy the wine and the beaches and KI and perhaps spend a week in Perth

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
84 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adelaide or Port Douglas

Hi SunFlwr

Welcome to Trip Advisor.

Sounds like you had a bit of a "baptism of fire" with your first postings - sorry about that!

Port Douglas will be around the end of Cyclone season in February, and if you have already experienced the area for 5 months, it might be a good idea to visit somewhere else in Australia for ta change.

South Australia has dry summers, so although we get to reach higher temperatures than Port Douglas, we don't feel the heat as much here. Strange but true!

If you enjoyed Port Douglas, you will be likely to enjoy Adelaide, as the lifestyle here is also relaxed, but there is more to do in Adelaide and surroundings than in Port Douglas.

If you have two weeks, I would suggest that you hire a car and travel around our beautiful State, not just stay in Adelaide. You would have time to look at the peninsulas - Fleurieu which is just south of Adelaide, on the way to the ferry to Kangaroo Island (which is a wonderful place to visit for several days to a week - if it gets too hot, visit Kelly Caves to cool down!), Yorke Peninsula which is the boot shaped peninsula just west of Adelaide (with the Southern Ocean at the tip, and National Park areas), and Eyre Peninsula (the triangle shaped peninsula west of Yorke Peninsula, on the way to the Great Australian Bight). If you like fishing, you will find plenty of areas to dangle a line (from jetties or fishing charters), if you like views, you will find that you take many more photos than you expect, and all the time you are close to water which helps keep you a bit cooler (the breeze off the water is like a natural airconditioning system). Added to that there are beautiful sunsets.

In fact, I'm beginning to think that two weeks is not enough!!

Seriously though, there's plenty to see and do in Adelaide, but the cost of living is lower than other places on the East Coast of Australia, so you can do more for your money.

Have a look at the government website http://www.sacentral.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm and click on the Tourism and Transport link - you'll see what I mean about there being lots to see and do!

I do hope you come and see South Australia, as I really love living here, and I think you will too.

Anita

Mentioned in this post
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adelaide or Port Douglas

Pleeeeeease Anita - do not apologise for me!!!! I find that truly offensive and patronising.

I have posted over 1000 posts here and helped 100s of people so far and many of them have thanked me for it.

But it appears quite clear to me that Sunflwr wants to go back to Port Douglas and that if she does then that is what she should do.

I do not think however that she should expect people on TA to help her by confirming for her that Adelaide is boring because like everything else that is in the eye of the beholder.

On the other hand I do not want to be responsible for encouraging someone to come here and then have them go away saying they didnt enjoy it and they wished they'd gone to PD instead.

Midlands
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Adelaide or Port Douglas

Well for what it's worth I'm a frequent visitor to Adelaide and have spent a lot of time over the years exploring the surrounding areas, and I think it's one of Australia's best kept secrets. For purely selfish reasons I'd rather it stayed that way too.

I second nozzie's comments and would add another summer delight, the open air cinema in the Botanic Gardens.

Adelaide is basically about lifestyle: if you're the type of person who needs constant heavy-duty stimulation and a new sensation every minute then you may be better off elsewhere than in the city, beautiful and civilised though it is. However as has been pointed out the coast is nearby and you can excite yourself with all the usual water-related pursuits. Other things for you to consider: a few relaxing days on a Murray River houseboat; renting one of the numerous delightful vineyard cottages in and around the Clare Valley and chilling out with fine food and wine and cycling through the valley for a while; heading north up the Flinders Ranges for some bushwalking (there are quite a few decent hotels and restaurants up there these days). Really there's so much to do. The SA tourism website is a good steer. I would advise perhaps a week in the city and a week with a hire car exploring further afield. Hire car is a good idea anyway -they're cheap in Australia, though Adelaide public transport is pretty good.

Annapolis
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Adelaide or Port Douglas

Well you all have been most helpful. And, as of this moment I have been successful in changing my ticket to go to Adelaide. I was having a hard time deciding as I have good friends I made while in Port D and was hoping to see them. I confirmed last night they are still in the process of looking for a new home and are not sure where they will be. Rather than keeping my ticket for PD, and risking my being there without them, I decided to go to Adelaide a place I've not been and sounds interesting.

I sincerely appreciate your quick and informative comments. I never go to a place starting out with negative projections. But I do choose trying to be informed first. I had read the banter between 2 people bashing Adelaide, and that is what had concerned me.

So I am going and am excited about it. So now anyone that wants to recommend places to see, where to eat, etc. have at it. I'd love to hear.

Oh yeah if there is a place to read about the best way to get around this site, let me know.

Annapolis
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Adelaide or Port Douglas

P.S. Photography is a major hobby of mine & I have even been fortunate enough to be published. I mention that so you know I take it quite seriously and am happy taking pictures of nature wonder, places and people and even plan to get a new wide angle lens before I depart. Walking and taking pictures and I'm a happy camper. Good food, good wine - wow that's a plus. My dollar will stretch further, fantastic. I already know Aussies are wonderful people. Heck people I met in Fiji insisted on picking me up when I was in Brisbane and showing "their Gold Coast" to me. They wouldn't let me take the train to meet them. When I was in Tasmania someone I met from Melbourne offered to show me all the marinas and outskirts of Melbourne when we were both there. I would not have been able to see all I did without his help. We had a delightful day. I could go on and on telling of my excellent experiences.

So if you know of a good restaurant, site whatever, let me know. I love the city and the country and am completely open to different options.

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adelaide or Port Douglas

Hi again Sunflwr

I think its extremely unfortunate that there are people on this forum who choose to berate Adelaide. I suspect many of them have only been here once and because we didn’t have a big theme park they thought it was not interesting. If you are looking for a genuine Australian lifestyle experience (not tourism experience) then certainly Adelaide can give it to you.

Interestingly just today there is a post on the Adventure travel forum from someone stating how disappointed they were with Australia Zoo and how the best wildlife experience they had in Australia was at Cleland National Park near Adelaide.

Re wineries- there are 4 main wine region near Adelaide - the Clare Valley, The Barossa and the Southern Vales and Adelaide Hills. They are all different. Barossa tends to be big and commercial although there are also some little hidden gems such as Rockford and Henshkes . Clare is known for it s Rieslings and Southern vales for its reds, the hills are best known for lovely crisp whites such as sauvignon blanc.

Re restaurants there are hundreds - and choice depends on the type of food and the price you want to pay. Need more information to help with this one. For info about Adelaide look at http://www.southaustralia.com/home.asp

Mentioned in this post
Adelaide Hills
Adelaide Hills
Greater Adelaide, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,695 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adelaide or Port Douglas

I also second visiting Adelaide and the surrounding areas. Its a very interesting state with a diversity of landscapes. I also find it a place that represents the real Australia.

What makes it interesting is in each direction you decide to travel you have a completely different landscape and terrain. For example if you go to Barossa or Clare Valley you have fertile vineyards all with distinctive personalities. The history in the area is also very interesting with the influence of German and English settlers.

If you travel inland you have the awesome outback, The Flinders Ranges, Simpson desert, The Sturt desert and Lake Eyre and the Hay Plains...not to mention a hundred more historical towns and sights.

If you travel south you have the wonderful Fleurieu Peninsula with its wonderful national parks and beaches. Kangaroo Island, Granite Island, Hindmarsh Island are all on your doorstep. Not to mention the wonderful wildlife, which can be seen around every corner.

I find South Australia to be very under rated and to me it has some of Australia's best landscapes.

Mentioned in this post
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adelaide or Port Douglas

Hi Ellemay

Did you enjoy your trip to kangaroo island?

Also another very interesting and photogenic area is the River Murray - especially the lower Murray from Murray Bridge to Walkers flat. Someone has suggested a houseboat holiday for Sunflwr and I would second that. The river and its bird life are really fascinating and a houseboat is a great way to chill out for a few days.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,695 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Adelaide or Port Douglas

Hi Nozzie,

we had a very interesting trip, firstly in Adelaide, where we tried a few of your suggestions for dinner. We really enjoyed the melting pot with its degustation menu and I thought Hyde Park to be a lovely suburb. One of our best meals was actually at the convention centre, usually the meals in conference's can be extremely boring but we had a three course meal and it had to be one of the best we have ever had....I did give them our compliments...saying we were extremely impressed...(we have had heaps of conference dinners!)all over the world.

Our trip down to the Fleurieu Peninsula was also incredibily interesting, we did'nt even get to Kangaroo Island (LOL) we ran out of time.There was too many things to see in such a short time, so we decided to go to K/I another time (seeing we are in Adelaide frequently). ..catch a plane over from the airport...

We did however get to see Hindmarsh Island, Murray Mouth, Coorong National Park, Granite Island, Victor Harbor (penguins),

and best of all some of the Heysen Trail....awesome coastal views..

so we were pushing it to see K/I so we just sat at Cape Jervis and said "next time"..... I did take some nice photo's which i'll post later

on my reviews....especially some great coastal shots on the H/Trail.

We really needed a few more days, to see and explore the whole area.

Mentioned in this post
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
Adelaide, Australia