We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pronunciation of Coober Pedy

Silva, MO
3 posts
Pronunciation of Coober Pedy

This may sound silly, but I don't know how to pronounce the name of this town. I am a third grade teacher who teaches a unit on Australia each summer. The section of the unit on Coober Pedy is especially interesting to my third graders. I don't believe I am pronouncing the town's name correctly, and I really need to know if I am or not. Thanks.

London / Brisbane
Level Contributor
260 posts
1. Re: Pronunciation of Coober Pedy

i always thought it was pronounced like

kuuba peedee

(that was hard trying to use other letters to pronounce it)

SUNSHINE COAST...
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
286 reviews
2. Re: Pronunciation of Coober Pedy

The previous poster is correct ( and a good use of letters to !!)

We spent a week in CP two years ago - it is a fasinating place, living underground, all those OPALS, the landscape. We had a great time, I want to go back !

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
55 reviews
3. Re: Pronunciation of Coober Pedy

It's a habit of Australians to pronounce anything ending with -er or -or as an "a". So "after" becomes "afta". "Coober" becomes "Cooba" etc.

Silva, MO
3 posts
4. Re: Pronunciation of Coober Pedy

Thanks so much to each of you for clearing this up for me.

Silva, MO
3 posts
5. Re: Pronunciation of Coober Pedy

Thanks so much to each of you for clearing this up for me.

Coober Pedy South...
1 post
6. Re: Pronunciation of Coober Pedy

Just a note from Coober Pedy, a resident.

Coo is pronounced like Boo like a Casper the ghost would say.

Ber is pronounced like you would cut off the word But, "bu", I don't know that I really agree with the thought that it sounds like an "a".

A lot of people get Coober mixed up with Cooper because of Cooper's Creek, which is a long way to the east of us.

Pedy sounds like Pee Wee (Herman) and is rightly earlier described as Peedee.

I live in a "semi-dugout", which means that my kitchen and bathroom are on the top level, in a brick structure, my lounge and bedrooms are down 15 steps into the hill. In summer I can feel the cool downstairs by the time I am halfway down the stairs and in winter I can feel the warmth of the dugout downstairs. It is very cold outside in winter with cloudless skies and chilly winds.

Angie J Coober Pedy

Get answers to your questions about Coober Pedy