We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self-touring on KI

Centre County, PA
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
self-touring on KI

I am trying to get a feel for the cost of self-touring when one considers car rental and entrance fees. I'm sure it's less than a formal tour, but is it enough less to be worth the challenges? Thank you

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
791 posts
657 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: self-touring on KI

Not sure what challenges you mean SABmum, we didn't find any. Depends on whether you enjoy doing the research or prefer to have it all organised for you etc.

We were there last Dec for a single day ex Adelaide. We flew in with Rex from Adelaide on the first flight (which had us on the ground in Kingscote airport well before 8am.

We hired a car (booked ahead) from 1 of the 2 major rental companies represented - no dramas there - and headed off out of the airport before 8am toward the seals at Seal Bay visitor centre (which has 1st tour at 9am sharp by the way), then worked our way around main attractions clockwise back to Kingscote for a pub dinner before going back for the last flight back after 7.30 pm.

If I had my time again I'd allow another day.

An alternative is to take a car from mainland by ferry - for 2 people it was line-ball on cost,and there was additional transit time to take into account.

Because the main roads are few, the order of attractions suggests a fairly logical sequence and some attractions have guided tours at set times you will have tour groups at many of the attractions even if you hire a car - but wait 10 minutes and you have the place to yourself. And self-touring you can stop where you want for a meal, coffee etc (well...there aren't that many options up the western end really)

Not sure of the price on a tour group, but the Rex flight was about $75pp each way, car including full insurance was maybe $120? (I remember it was a bit pricier than in a major city). Entrance fees were maybe $40pp for the day, plus meals etc & about 1/2 a tank of fuel (I'm guessing a bit - I didn't keep that close a track, we were enjoying ourselves too much.)

2. Re: self-touring on KI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 05:24
Get answers to your questions about Kangaroo Island