We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kangaroo Island things to do

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Kangaroo Island things to do

Does anyone have any recommendations/comments on the things to do on Kangaroo Island? (going in August) There seem to be so many things to do - is anything not to be missed, or not worth seeing? I am interested in nature/wildlife but have seen a fair few roos before.

Also, has anyone actually seen a platypus on the Platypus Waterholes Walk in Flinders Chase NP?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
651 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kangaroo Island things to do

www.tourkangarooisland.com.au/default.aspx

We particularly enjoyed the seals at Seal Bay. The coast at Vivonne Bay is spectacularly pretty. Admiral's Arch & Remarkable Rocks not to be missed. And the "free" pelican feeding (donations actively encouraged) at Kingscote in the late afternoon is a real hoot!

Depending on your interests, the caves are quite interesting too. Similarities with the ones in Margaret R, WA. in my view.

Sorry, didn't do the platypus waterholes walk, but there was a koala in the carpark of the visitor centre the day we were there.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kangaroo Island things to do

I've been to KI twice and these were my favorite things to see and do:

Seal Bay, Little Sahara, Admiral's Arch, Remarkable Rocks, Flinders Chase NP (especially doing the Ravine des Casoars hike), Kelly Hill Cave, and Koala Walk at Hanson Bay Sanctuary.

We did the Platypus Waterholes Walk on our first visit and did not see any platypus. Subsequent to that, we did a platypus hike with a ranger at Canberra's Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve and learned several things about platypus spotting which might be helpful to you:

1. Best chance to spot platypus is early in the morning or late in the afternoon.

2. Walk slowly and quietly towards the water because if they hear you, they will dive and swim away. Remain still and patiently watch.

3. Look for ripples on the water

4. The playpus will look like a brown stick in the water.

5. Good idea to use binoculars for spotting.

We did see a couple of platypus at Tidbinbilla, but it took a lot of time and patience. (And basically all we saw was their backs as they swam through the water.)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kangaroo Island things to do

Thank you both - this is really helpful. Not sure I have the patience to wait for a platypus!

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
394 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kangaroo Island things to do

I can only agree with what previous posters have commented on. Some spectacular sights.

But two other points - when we were on KI Oct 07 we stayed at Western Kangaroo Island Caravan Park - rented a cabin, which was excellent. They have a Koala walk which I tyhought might be a little hokey but it was exceptional! Free, for starters. On their property. We saw a number of Koala and also the small breed of Kanga whose name escapes me right now. After that we went to Stokes Bay - well worth the stop as there is a "hiddne" berach which is accessible through a series of limestone boulders (the size of a house!) - quite cool.

We loved it and will return next year!

Late Day Traveller

Ontario,

Canada

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
527 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kangaroo Island things to do

We're visiting Oz for a month next March and I'm planning to visit KI but am not sure how long to stay. We're booking the main flights today before they go up any more (have already increased from first quotes last week!) but have been advised to start booking internal ones as everything is starting to go up with all the fuel surcharges!

We have a 9 and 12 year old and all love wildlife. So can anybody advise whether 2 nights/3 days is about right or 3 nights/4 days would be better. It's one of the main places we want to visit, so want to get it right.

Many thanks in advance.

6. Re: Kangaroo Island things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Kangaroo Island