We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tasmania or Kangaroo Island? or neither

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
182 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Tasmania or Kangaroo Island? or neither

Thanks Tet, We are retired, so every day can be leisure for us. This means travel to Australia is to see what we can see. Planning to be in Cairns 4 1/2 days, Uluru 3 days, Brisbane 6 days, driving

Sydney to Adelaide from Sept 6th to Departure on 20th. (13 1/2 days) Had planned Aug 15 to 23rd in Fiji, but am wondering if I should add time to Cairns and only be in Fiji a day or two to get a little break from long flight. from US- Can only change one flight segment without penalty.

, We are use to traveling when vacationing and only expect to see some highlights. If there is so much to see in KI; what would you not see in another area. Frasier Island? Blue Mtns? Hunter Valley?, Barossa valley?Great Ocean Rd?,

Places I have not been and hope to go are, South America, Iceland, Vietman. Husband has been to South America. We have been to most National Parks in US. Hopes this helps you in recommending what to see in KI or Tasmania. Thanks for any help.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tasmania or Kangaroo Island? or neither

Ha, your new thread.

Welll, I only can tell you what DW and I would do

If I get it right you're coming to Australia between aug. 23 and sept 20 right? And you have another 7 days for Fiji?

I'd do this:

1. Fly Brisbane. Rent a car for a week. Take the City Cat, visit South Bank do your shopping in Queen street and enjoy Brisbane. Drive to Hervey Bay for several days. Visit Fraser Island (a must!) on a day trip or stay overnight. Make a half a day whalewatch cruise. On your way from Brisbane to Hervey Bay is Australia Zoo. I would recommend a visit also. Brisbane's hinterland also is scenic with Glass House Mountains, several lakes etc. After Hervey Bay drive to Noosa at the Sunshine coast. Superb location and very relaxing. Great food and beaches. Then drive back to Brisbane for your flight to:

Cairns. No sandy beaches in Cairns but just north of it are lovely beaches like in Trinity Beach and Palm Cove. I'd rent a car again and visit Daintree NP and Cape Tribulation. A day for Great Barrier Reef, Atherton Tablelands, Kuranda. Visit sunday morningmarket in Port Douglas and relax. You also can stay PD of course. I would allow at least 5 days for Far North Queenland.

Alice Spings/Uluru.

Red Center should not be missed. Take a flight to Alice Spings and rent a car. If you rent a 4wd you can take Mereenie loop drive (permit needed) to Kings Canyon. From Kings Canyon to Uluru and Kata Tjuta. Lodging is rather expensive here but just bite te bullet. Stay several days and drive back to Alice Springs. Many great places around Alice. Too often overlooked by people only visiting Uluru. You easily can spend a week for Alice, Uluru etc etc.

After Alice take a flight to Adelaide. Don't rent a car in Adelaide but take a connecting flight to Kingscote on Kangaroo Island and rent a car there. I would recommend to stay 3 nights on KI, 2 full days. Fly back to Adelaide and see the cfity.

Last but not least. Take a flight from Adelaide to Sydney and app. spend 4 days. No need to rent a car in Sydney. Ask for things to do on the Sydney forum. Travelling by ferry is a must imo. Esp the ferry to Manly.

Now let me see. 4 days for the domestic flights, 4 days Sydney (incl a visit to Blue Mountains NP), 4 days for Adelaide/KI. 6 days Alice/Uluru, 5 days Cairns, 6 days Brisbane and around makes 29 plus the travel between Fl. and Australia. Not much time left for Fiji I'm afraid.

I would be happy to include places like Tasmania, Darwin and Melbourne, not to mention Western Australia but you'll have to come back another time and prob you will. We started our trips to Australia a long time ago and what was supposed to be a "trip in a lifetime" turned into 6 visits up till now.

I don't say this itinerary is perfect but if gives you City, Reef, Rock plus awesome Kangaroo Island.

Hth

Tet

Edited: 10 July 2010, 17:40
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tasmania or Kangaroo Island? or neither

Great advice TET. I love Tasmania but would still probably go down there in December/January/February rather than September... It will still possibly be chilly at times on KI but much chillier in Tassie.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
182 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tasmania or Kangaroo Island? or neither

Thanks Tet, Our flight segments are prebooked. There was an airfare sale going on and hubby needed to guess the time frames and book all at once. Stipulation is we can change one flight one time without penalty. So if there are other changes will need to weigh costs.

Originally Fiji was at end for rest, but only direct flight to Fiji from US is on the way over to Australia, so it was put at the beginning. So thinking we might change this segment to add on more time to the next Australia seg.

For medical reasons; I need to stay "cool" in hot environments, so we only booked Uluru for 2 nights towards the beginning of the trip hoping it won't be too hot for me too long. He prebooked an aircondition car.

Itinery is: Fiji Aug.17-depart Aug.23

Cairns (booked at Port Douglas)Aug 23-Aug 28

Uluru Aug 28 12:55 depart Aug. 30 1;25.

Brisbane Aug. 30 (eve arrival) to Sept 6 depart

Sydney arrive 1:50 PM for driving until we depart from Adelaide

Sept 20th.

Unfortunately at time, I was not computer literate for queries on Trip Advisor, you are kindly "teaching me" the how to of posting- example "my thread! :) So rather than not have a trip to Australia; I went for 5 weeks; hoping I could squeeze enough in. We were thinking this would be it for Australia, but who knows; maybe that long flight won't be too bad.

So KI needs to be in the last segment.

Originally had planned to see at end before flight out of Adelaide- after driving from Sydney. I have seen a post on an inexpensive flight to Adelaide. So what forum would one post Sydney to Adelaide Itinery Sept 6th thru Sept 20th? with KI.

Where do I need to post following question? or can it be on "my thread"

So,could we squeeze Kings Canyon in, sunrise and sunset at Uluru, the olgas? We booked a cabin at Uluru campground; since everything was expensive and we were trying to squeeze in as much as possible - figured only were sleeping in cabin. (no one seemed thrilled with their accomodations) wondering if 1st eve walk a little of Uluru and sunset (if not too hot), otherwise then need to do sunrise 2nd day and then walk). This would mean could only get Olgas in. thinking it may be possible to do sunrise last morning and get to airport for 12:55. Wasn't thinking of entire walk around Uluru. Open for suggestions. Do we need 4 wheel? wondered about airconditioning.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tasmania or Kangaroo Island? or neither

Definitely don't miss sunrise and sunset at Uluru. This is an amazing experience which you don't get to replicate anywhere else. Don't forget your camera. It was freezing cold early in the morning when we were there (end of April) but worth the wait. It was amusing to see rows and rows of coach buses along the lookout strip. Sunset was spectacular. Walking around the base took approximately 2 1/2 hours. It was hot in the daytime, definitely need an airconed car and lots of fluids, also hat & sturdy walking shoes. The only downside was there were lots of persistent sandflies when we were there. We also visited the Olgas and Kings Canyon (about 3 hours drive each way). The drive to Kings Canyon was quite enjoyable - saw wild kangaroos and red sandy desert all the way. Really felt like we were in the outback. Stopped by Curtin Springs for lunch en route to Kings Canyon. Having been to Grand Canyon in the US, Kings Canyon didn't have the 'wow' factor for me.

Also tried kangaroo and camel meat (in a burger) - not bad. In case you're short of time, perhaps do Uluru and the Olgas.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tasmania or Kangaroo Island? or neither

Sorry, forgot to mention that you won't need a 4 wheel drive to visit the places you mentioned. We rented an automatic 4-door sedan.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tasmania or Kangaroo Island? or neither

You only need a 4wd if you want to drive from Alice via Mereenie loop drive to Kings Canyon, but as you arrive aug 28 in Uluru and depart aug 30 you won't have time for that. Actually with only one full day I'd concentrate on Uluru and Kata Tjuta and not drive to Kings Canyon. Maybe rent a car to drive around. We also did it by car. Gives you more freedom. Buying flynets for the walk around the Rock might be a good idea. You can buy them at the visitor center. I'll get to your RT thread later.

Tet

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
182 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tasmania or Kangaroo Island? or neither

thanks leisure2go. have been to Grand Canyon several times- always a WOW! hiked down Angel Path to that low point and up by moonlight. beautiful! went to France's (Grand Canyon) and nothing to US Grand Canyon. Thinking Kings Canyon might be a dissapointment for all of the rushing to get it in.

Do you agree?

Would like to raft down US Grand Canyon. Wondering if Tet14 has done this?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
182 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tasmania or Kangaroo Island? or neither

thanks Tet, we do have rental car booked. Hubby booked mid size to be certain decent airconditioniing. Will it be very hot during day? If not too hot for long; then we could downsize to small; especially if not driving to Kings Canyon.

How much were fly nets there? I bought some netting here to attach to our hats. Afraid of "everything is expensive there!" Do I need it covering arms?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tasmania or Kangaroo Island? or neither

"Do I need covering arms>> Lol My wife does and I don't. Flies don't sting, they just are annoying and part of Australia. Don't worry too much. You mean Bright Angel trail and Grand Canyon du Verdon in France. Not to compare indeed. Never done a river raft. They start Lees Ferry and take from 3 days to much longer. GC is 240 miles long. Yes, we've been to GCNP 4 times both NR and SR. This year will be the 5th time. I don't think nature can be disappointing. Kings Canyon is not like GC. That doesn't make it a disappointment imo.

Tet

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
182 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tasmania or Kangaroo Island? or neither

Tet, must be a woman thing.....I do not like them landing on me! Thinking too warm for long sleeve- so maybe will create my own net sleeves. :) just curious on premade price in visitor center.

If had more time would probably enjoy Kings Canyon; but hubby is keeping rental mid size - said only $10 day more- may find time anyway.

Do you feel Ellemay's time on KI is recommended? or are you there Ellemay? fly in KI late afternoon- leave 1 1/2 days later?

Also, we are thinking of Adding time to Sydney (don't know if possible yet) when fly earlier from Fuji. Then when we fly in for last segment Sept 6, just take off on driving trip. Sydney will be cooler in Aug.20th rather than Set.6, so will we be missing a prettier Sydney? If this is the cae, then maybe add more time to Cairns. Our original flight from Fuji to Cairns, change planes in Sydney. Still think we have one segment we can change without penalty

Thanks to all who are posting and helping me.

Get answers to your questions about Kangaroo Island