We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Platypus

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
20 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Platypus

Will be in KI for 3 full days in February, as part of a 5 week vacation in Oz. Ever since seeing a platypus in my school books best part of 50 years ago I've wanted to see one in the flesh so to speak. What should I do to maximise my chances? Thanks JRW

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,644 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Platypus

I am not trying to be flippant, but your best chance of seeing a platypus in Australia is at a zoo or aquarium. In fact, the Sydney aquarium has a large tank near the entrance with platypus and I remember watching them swim around for quite a while on my visit there a few years ago.

I have actually spotted platypus in the wild and it's not easy. I went on a guided tour with a ranger at Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve in Canberra right after dawn. (I understand they are most active at dawn and dusk.) We had binoculars and waited quietly and patiently for them to appear. We were only able to see their backs as they swam across some ponds. You would probably be very lucky indeed to see them out of the water.

I recall from my first visit to KI many years ago that there were platypus in some ponds at Flinders Chase National Park, although we were there at the wrong time of day to see them. Perhaps if you get there at dawn or dusk and wait patiently with some binoculars, you will be able to see them.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Platypus

I suggest you contact Flinders chase National Park on Kangaroo Island. Direct your query to the Rangers and they can reply whether you are likely or unlikely to see them in the wild. There are particular places they live but I've not seen one there myself. Remember that as with any "WILD" animal, sightings are entirely dependent on the animals,... and as Longhorn says, a zoo may be the only place in the country you're guaranteed to see one.

There is also a place near Adelaide called Warrawong which has a platypus lake. You could email the people there and ask as well... they can tell you how often they see them, the best time to be there etc. www.warrawong.com/about-us/our-animals/

Level Contributor
827 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Platypus

@ JohnWalker,

On Kangaroo Island you can participate in a 'platypus waterholes walk' at Flinders Chase National Park - dawn and dusk will maximise your chances of seeing a platypus. That said, my score is 0-3, so there are absolutely no guarantees.

If you can, Warrawong Sanctuary in the Adelaide Hills is a good option:

http://www.warrawong.com/

http://www.southaustralia.com/S9009447.aspx

Where else are you visiting in Australia ? - because they may present platypus-spotting opportunities.

Adelaide
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Platypus

I agree with all of the above. The platypus is one of Australia's shiest creatures and is a difficult one to spot.

If you are looking for one in the wild, Kangaroo Island represents your best opportunity. But coming from Belgium (my family are from Antwerp), my family were amazed with the wildlife on Kangaroo Island. It is like stepping back in time and seeing koalas, kangaroos, platypus, echidna etc.

To spot all these, i would recommend doing a mixture of your own transport (like heading down to Flinders Chase) and also look into doing a tour on the island. The drivers are in constant communication and they often have the inside knowledge on where you can spot these animals.

For some tour ideas go to...

www.sealink.com.au/tours

Have fun!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,287 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Platypus

OP - will you be travelling the GOR while you are in Aus?.

IME that is definitely the best place in Australia to see platypus- and i have searched on KI (a few times) in different parts of Queensland and in Tasmania and also at the above mentioned Warrawong - and never seen one. We went out on this tour in April this year http://www.platypustours.net.au/ and saw six platypus - (some very close up) in the space of two hours.

Edited: 03 November 2010, 07:55
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Platypus

We have had 100% success rate on the tablelands near Cairns if you head this way also.

kangaroo island...
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Platypus

You might see them at the Platypus Waterholes in Flinders Chase, but I haven't seen them there and can't be bothered looking any more. A number of years ago I was chatting with the then head ranger and by sheer coincidence he was showing the waterholes to an International film crew and a platypus swam between his son's legs! What a fluke.

Canberra
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Platypus

Hi, you don't need to go to a zoo to see platypus. If you are going to be in Far North Tropical Queensland, go to Tarzali Lakes www.tarzalilakes.com and you will see lots of platypus. Tarzali Lakes is an aquaculture farm that grows eels and jade perch but they also offer platypus viewing, fishing, food from their restaurant and they even have a smokehouse that produces some very good products. I have been there four times over the last couple of years and each time, I saw many platypus.

Canberra
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Platypus

Try Tarzali Lakes for viewing platypus - www.tarzalilakes.com

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,255 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Platypus

Heard you the first time PatriciaCanberra. The unnecessary repetition of a website, plus the lack of any other posts, does raise the possibility of your contribution being self-promotion?

OLD THREAD . . . . NO FURTHER REPLIES NECESSARY

Edited: 11 May 2011, 06:51
Get answers to your questions about Kangaroo Island