We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Orlando
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report

My husband and I just returned from our Australian Honeymoon and I wanted to write a quick trip report about our fabulous stay on the island.

We boarded the early morning REX flight from Adelaide. After a short 20 minute flight we landed in Kingscote. We grabbed our car from Budget and set off for the Western side of the island.

We headed straight to Flinder's Chase, grabbed a quick bite to eat and drove on to Admiral's Arch. We did the Cape du Couedic hike which was short and not at all strenuous. The weather was absolutely amazing; blue skies and hardly any wind. We walked down the boardwalk to see the seals and then to Admiral's Arch. We spent a fair bit of time watching the seals play. A pair of binoculars would have been really handy. We headed up the hill to our car and then over to the rocks.

When we were driving up to the rocks I was surprised to see people climbing all over them. Once I got up there though I saw that it was pretty safe. We spent a good block of time enjoying the beautiful views and climbing in the nooks and crannies. I would note that if I did have a child I probably wouldn't let them climb without strict supervision. The steep drop offs and lack of ropes would make me very nervous.

We then starting heading back first stopping off at Vivonne Bay then little Sahara. The drive up to Vivonne Bay was our first experience driving on an unsealed road. We had a small Toyota corolla and it was definitely a bit bumpy. The beach was absolutely gorgeous. Aside from one local couple, the beach was deserted. The water was cold and a bit rough but that didn't stop me from wading in a bit.

Next stop was little Sahara. We attempted to drive up the unsealed road but it was in worse condition then the beach road so we decided to park the car and walk. My hubby decided to walk up the dune while I sat and waited. It was getting hot and I didn't feel like dredging though the sand.

It was getting a bit late and I was anxious to get to our lodging so we headed towards Penneshaw. We booked into the Sea Dragon Lodge for three nights. The drive was a bit challenging but was completely worth it. I will write a separate review of the lodge but will say that it exceeded all our expectations.

Second day we set out towards Seal Bay. On the drive over we stopped off at Clifford's Honey Farm. I think the store was okay but not sure if it was worth the detour. Then we went to the Emu and Eucalytpus Distillery. We walked around and were entertained by Celine the darling young kangaroo that was being rehabilitated. It was around 11:30 when we got to Seal Bay. We opted to take the ranger led tour on the beach which was pretty impressive. There were a few seals swimming and "surfing". A big bull trying to defend his territory. Lots of pups and mom's lounging on the beach. I would definitely recommend the beach tour.

My husband wanted to go to the Parndana Wildlife Park. It was not recommended by our lodge hosts but he insisted because he had been there a few years ago and liked it. Boy were our hosts correct. I feel bad writing such a negative review of it but I really have nothing good to say. The cages and animal enclosures were shoddy and dirty. The animals looked sickly and didn't look like they were well taken care of. The entire place was in terrible shape. I did notice that the owners were trying to sell it. My husband kept apologizing because he knew how uncomfortable I was seeing the animals like that.

We then headed to Kingscote to get some fish and chips at KI Fresh Seafood. Definitely a great late lunch. So fresh and the batter on the fish was perfect.

Our third day was meant for beach going. Unfortunately it was overcast and raining when we awoke. Still I was determined to explore the beaches so we went into Penneshaw to look around and check out the ferry. LOL. Not much to see there though we did pop into Dudley Wines for a tasting and to buy a few bottles. We headed to Pennington Bay, Baudin Beach, and then to Antechamber Bay. Thinking back I still cannot get over how pristine the beaches were. Simply stunning. Antechamber bay was the most calm of the beaches we were at. The beach was quite large and we had it all to ourselves.

We drove to the Cape Willoughby lighthouse for a quick stop and then headed back to the lodge to relax a while.

We spent 3 1/2 weeks in Australia on our honeymoon and the few days on KI were among the best. I really fell in love with the remoteness of the island. The people were so friendly and helpful. I wish we would have spent a few more days so we could have seen more of Kingscote and some of the other areas we missed. I will without a doubt return in the future for a longer visit.

Thanks to everyone who helped in the planning

-S

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Great to hear about your trip! I agree that Kangaroo Island is a fantastic place to visit.

I am perplexed by one thing, what was funny about the ferry at Penneshaw?

Orlando
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Sorry... The LOL wasn't in reference to the ferry rather how small the town was.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,579 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

I loved your report and glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

great report .... we'll add it to our list !

5. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about Kangaroo Island