We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanson Bay Cabins or Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hanson Bay Cabins or Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat?

Hi, All:

My husband and I are very excited about our first visit to Kangaroo island in two weeks. We will stay there 3 nights, one night around Kingscote and the other two on the west side.

We definitely want to visit Remarkable rock at sunset. We heard it's not safe to drive after dusk, then our choices of accommodation are limited to Hanson Bay Cabins or Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat. Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat seems a little closer. But Hanson Bay Cabins seem to have better environment.

My question is that how long do we need to drive from Remarkable rock back to Hanson Bay Cabins? I checked with them and they only have Farmhouse Hostel available. How is that?

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Liz

Mentioned in this post
Kangaroo Island
Kangaroo Island
South Australia, Australia
Kingscote
Kingscote
Kangaroo Island, Australia
Hanson Bay Cabins
Hanson Bay Cabins
82 Reviews
Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat
Kangaroo Island...
580 Reviews
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,643 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanson Bay Cabins or Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat?

Two definitely different places. KI Wilderness has more modern rooms and facilities, Hanson Bay has great views but less luxury.. far less. The cost for each property would be considerably different too so you really need to weigh up whether you want lovely comfy beds, modern clean bathrooms, wallabies out the front and a restaurant nearby OR more basic accommodation, older furniture, amazing views and self-catering.

I am not sure what you mean by farmhouse hostel.. are you saying that the cabins are all booked out? if so then definitely go KI wilderness as the cabins have the views of the ocean but I don't know about the hostel.

If you are at remarkable rocks at sunset then you are better advised to stay at KI wilderness as you'd DEFINITELY be driving back down to Hanson Bay in the dark.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanson Bay Cabins or Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat?

Same comment as TW. Definitely stay at the Wilderness Retreat. It's a great place. Afa I know the hostel is at the homestead. No views of the brilliant coast. If you can get one of the cabins it's an whole different thing. Very basic indeed but location location at one of the most scenic coast I have ever seen. We stayed 4 days there. Also keep in mind that to the cabins you'll have to drive 5 kms on a dirtroad and it will be stonedark and the cabins are very secluded. We love places like that but it is not for everybody I think. But with a choice between a farmhouse stay or the Wilderness Retreat I'd pick the last one without a doubt. No oceanviews from the Wilderness Retreat either though. And it will be more expensive imo.

Have a great KI trip!

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Kangaroo Island...
580 Reviews
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanson Bay Cabins or Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat?

Tet & TW_Yachtgal:

Thank you very much for your advice. I will go for Wilderness Retreat then.

Hope the weather will be good!!

Liz

Mentioned in this post
Kangaroo Island...
580 Reviews
4. Re: Hanson Bay Cabins or Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Kangaroo Island