We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

having made the decision....

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16,952 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
having made the decision....

that Kangaroo Island was worth the hassle to get there (thereby dumping our previous plans to stay around Melbourne/GOR) we are now trying to figure out logistics. First week of November, we will arrive in Kingscote on the last flight, and leave 5 days (4 nights) later on the first flight back to Adelaide. We'll be picking up a car at the airport.

I've read much of the tourist brochure, so I'm wondering where we can stay the first night that we will not have to be driving after dusk? We're thinking of splitting the time, one night near airport, two nights elsewhere (suggestions?) and last night again, close to the airport.

We are primarily interested in seeing the wildlife, the National Park, and the coastlines/beaches.

Thank you in advance.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,668 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: having made the decision....

There is quite a wide range of accomodation - self catering , hotels/motels , B&B's. Can you give us an idea of budget and preferences.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16,952 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: having made the decision....

Hi Nozzie. we usually prefer self-catering but for only 2 nights it doesn't seem worth it. Hoping to stay under $200/night. I'm thinking about the Kangaroo Island Wilderness Retreat. It gets us to the west end of the island and there is at least one room that would work. Also considering Hanson Bay cabins but they seem really remote.

For first and last night, hopefully cheaper, near the airport.

thanks.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,069 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: having made the decision....

www.tourkangarooisland.com.au

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,668 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: having made the decision....

Nuri I am sure Siouxxie has already perused websites. She is asking for personal opinions and experiences. Puleeese can we stop with the links every time.!!

S if you want to stay in Kingscote near the airport Correa Corner B&B is nice http://www.correacorner.com.au/ but it is too far to walk to restaurants etc for dinner - or the apartments belonging to the Ozone Hotel are nice. auroraresorts.com.au/Accommodation/AuroraOzo…

Dont book the hotel. Stayed there a few weeks ago - and was not impressed.

Nice dinner option in Kingscote at Bella's restaurant also a very good Mexican (though you probably get enough of that at home)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,668 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: having made the decision....

Sorry S got a bit waylaid as an email just arrived with final details of one of our African safaris - (have had a few problems in South Africa with tour operators stuffing us around).

Re the western end I think the wilderness retreat is OK. Friends have stayed there and enjoyed it. Its never my choice because being on an island I like to be near the sea- BUT as you say Hanson Bay is very remote AND you would need to have all your own supplies.

The only other real choice is the incredibly expensive Southern Ocean Lodge.

Edited: 05 July 2011, 10:18
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16,952 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: having made the decision....

ah yes the Souther Ocean Lodge. hahahaha. wish i could afford it but alas!

i have gone to that website nurio, and have browsed the entire brochure. I've gone to the TA reviews, and read over this forum. but i can't get a sense for whether it's feasible to just stay in one place near Kingscote (yes I would love to be looking at the water) for the 4 nights, and drive to the west and south ends. we'll have 3 full days to explore.

nozzie, thanks for your suggestions. i do hope your South Africa safari gets worked out! i'm bummed we're not going next year, but we WILL get there!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,668 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: having made the decision....

I would stay in at least two places with one being near the western end.. Driving back and forth can get a bit tedious we've found after 5 visits.

One other option though still requires self catering -but spectacular position is tourkangarooisland.com.au/accommodation/…

We think South Africa is sorted now. Unbeknownst to us we had been booked on a 23day camping tour - though we had confirmation and had paid a deposit for an accommodated tour. The operator seemed completely unwilling or unable to give us what wed booked and paid for. Now going with another operator but have had to switch a few other things around as the new tour leaves two days earlier than the first one we had booked. Arrgh - so much easier when you do it all yourself.

Edited: 05 July 2011, 23:04
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: having made the decision....

we stayed at Ozone apartments and thought they were excellant to use as a base,

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g261647-d506…

Edited: 06 July 2011, 01:34
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16,952 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: having made the decision....

Well I just discovered a new reason not to drive back and forth out of Kingscote every day...Budget (car rental) has limited free mileage and after that it's a whopping 27 cents a km. not used to paying mileage. I have an enquiry in with Hertz, so we'll see what they have to say.

New topic but....are ATM's plentiful on KI, and are credit cards readily accepted?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,668 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: having made the decision....

I wouldnt say ATMs were plentiful as there are really only two major towns - but both Penneshaw and Kingscote will have at least one ATM. Yes credit cards are accepted readily everywhere Ive traveled in Australia in the last 20 years. Though some places dont like Amex or Diners club cards.

Get answers to your questions about Kangaroo Island