We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving after dark

New Jersey
Level Contributor
117 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Driving after dark

I am planning to take a 6:00 ferry in August to KI with my rental car from Thrifty. We will land at 6:45 after dark. Will it be a problem to drive to Kingscote where I am meeting the rest of my family who are flying? I have heard that you are not covered with insurance after dark due to animals on the roads. Please advise. I can not take an earlier ferry since I am flying into Adelaide at about 2:30

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving after dark

"I have heard that you are not covered with insurance after dark due to animals on the roads. "

This is mentioned often on here. However, may I suggest reading the terms and conditions of your hire car provider rather than relying on someone's opinion on TA? If you can't find specifics there, then contact them and ask. Get their response in writing.

It could be a very expensive exercise to find out after the fact that the advice you received on a travel forum was wrong...

Edited: 05 February 2012, 21:01
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving after dark

I have just called Thrifty direct for you to confirm their particular policy. Some Car Hire Companies have specific clauses but Thrifty will allow you to drive to Kingscote from Penneshaw at that time. they do have a dusk to dawn clause for the Northern Territory but not Kangaroo Island at this point ... They also will allow you to drive on unsealed roads but not Four Wheel Drive tracks This is a necessity in a way as many of the attractions can only be accessed via unsealed roads (Hanson Bay etc)

As someone who has driven a lot on KI though, I will warn you that it can be dangerous around dusk driving on any roads so even though the limit may be signposted at 100kmph please be extra vigilant on the roads. There are some which are extremely dangerous to drive on at higher speeds so exercise caution. The main highways are fine but again, be aware that Kangaroos etc can be anywhere.

You will be fine to drive to Kingscote when you arrive as the main highway is a good one but I do urge caution when driving KI roads, once you're off the highway the limestone roads often have large potholes and the "red" ironstone roads are VERY slippery along the edges.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving after dark

If you wish to clarify this with them rather than take my word I can provide you with their direct phone number .. rather than the general national number.. as you should deal directly with the Adelaide office.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
117 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving after dark

Thank you so very much. This information really helps

5. Re: Driving after dark

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2013, 10:23