We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KI itinerary & questions

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
KI itinerary & questions

After doing a bunch of research I think I've come up with a decent itinerary for our upcoming trip to KI but I wanted to ask those who've been there before.

We are planning to go to the island for 4D/5N not including the travel time, arriving on a Monday and leaving on Saturday.

Day 1-Arrive at Kingscote airport, pick up rental car, drive to Kingscote to get groceries then drive to one of the lodges at Cape du Couedic in Flinders Chase Nat'l Park.

We are planing to arrive on the 2:30 PM flight and I was wondering if we'd have enough time to go into town to grocery shop, then drive to Cape du Couedic before sunset, which should be around 7:15 that night? I would think so but, just checking.

Day 2-Tour Flinders Chase Nat'l Park.

Day 3-Tour Flinders Chase Nat'l Park until around 3PM. Then drive to Emu Bay accommodations.

Day 4-Go to Seal Bay or Parndana Wildlife Park. The wife not only loves to see animals she likes to feed and pet/hold them as well so while others might not find the park to be of interest I know the wife will love it.

Day 5-Go to Seal Bay or Parndana Wildlife Park. Go to whichever one we did not go to the day before. Somewhere between days 4 and 5 I'd like to go to Island Beehive to pick up some honey.

Day 6-Drop off car and fly out at 10:30 AM and onto Sydney.

I'm not looking to go and do everything, only looking to go on a few trails at the Nat'l Park. I'd rather spend more time at fewer places and take lots of photos of the remarkable rocks, admirals arch, animals, beaches and cliff landscapes.

Does this sound like a decent/doable itinerary or am I missing something?

TIA for any replies.

Ken

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KI itinerary & questions

All looks fine to me. Yes you will get to Cape de Coudiac by 7.15.

Re honey you do need to be aware that it is not legal to take honey from another country into the US.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KI itinerary & questions

Hi Ken. That all sounds do-able. I particularly love the Snake Lagoon/Rocky River walk in Flinders Chase. Pack a picnic lunch and eat it on the beach. Keep an eye out for Platypus along the way.

You will have plenty of time so I would suggest picking up the South Australian Tourism Commission Kangaroo Island Booklet from the Tourism Centre when you arrive and use that as your bible.

I have sent a link which you might whet your appetite !

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KI itinerary & questions

nozzie i think honey is permissible to be brought back to the US. Here's my proof:

These are excerpts taken from the US Customs and Boarder Patrol website under the section Travelers bringing food into the US for personal use.

The following are generally admissible:

-Honey- comb honey, royal jelly, bee bread, or propolis if it is not intended to be fed to bees (USDA Miscellaneous and Processed Products Manual, Table 3-101)

Table 3-101 states that if the honey is not intended to be fed to bees nor

used in beekeeping enterprises (comb honey or honey to be eaten or

beeswax for candles, for example) , then it is to be released.

Is there anyone who has tried to bring honey back from Australia to the US confirm that you were able to or was it confiscated at customs.

Thanks.

Ken

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KI itinerary & questions

TW thanks for the link, now I can't wait to get there even MORE! Reading up on the Snake Lagoon walk, it sounds like the perfect way to spend our 2nd day at the park before heading out to Emu Bay.

BTW just how crowded does the park usually get during mid-week in late March early April? From what I can tell most schools will still be in session when we will be there.

Thanks.

Ken

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KI itinerary & questions

Ken I only know that Americans on the tanzania forum were advised that it was illegal - but I cant find the link now.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KI itinerary & questions

No worries nozzie :) As I said in my op I've done a bunch of research and when I figured we'd want to bring back some honey I went and found the relevant customs information :) I'd rather be prepared than surprised.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: KI itinerary & questions

Hi Ken. Flinders Chase is a big park.. even in peak times it's not really likely to become as crowded as many major tourist spots often become. I think you'll be fine. I have done the Snake Lagoon walk myself and really enjoyed it.

With a bit of luck you'll find you have the entire pretty beach to yourself... and that's pretty special..

Have a great trip and I hope you will write a trip report on your return as they are a great way to help other travellers plan their own trips.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: KI itinerary & questions

The only place in the world you can't take Aust honey is NZ. Everywhere else us fine though each country has their own quantities.

We were in KI last week and stayed four nights. One of the biggest disappointments was Seal Bay. Went there 20 years ago and a ranger walked Along the beAch with group tours and it was free. Now you have two options take the left boardwalk for $15 dollars and the closest you get us about 100 metres. Alternatively take the right hand boardwalk for $30 and you will approx 2.5 minutes on the beach. We found the staff very indifferent towards everything. Real let down as the last time we went we had a great guide and were really looking forward to this time.

Everything else in KI was great. Don't forget Stokes bay. Just a beautiful beach with a little shack selling delicious fish and chips.

Flinders Chase is wonderful and you can see seals for free at admirals arch. Park has a $10 entry fee

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: KI itinerary & questions

<<The only place in the world you can't take Aust honey is NZ. Everywhere else us fine though each country has their own quantities.>

Actually I dont think that is true. In fact you cant take any honey at all into Western Australia!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: KI itinerary & questions

Honey from the eastern states of Australia can be taken into Western Australia if it had been pasteurized eg heat treated and has the accompanying paperwork from the state authorities. Honey from no mainland states or any other country can be taken into kangaroo island due to their unique Ligurian bees that are only found on KI.

I double checked my facts with AQIS and they confirmed that Aust honey can be taken to all other countries with the exception of NZ

All countries will have their own limits for private use