We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay; wildlife;1st time visit

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
364 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay; wildlife;1st time visit

We're planning the Trip Of A lifetime to Australia. We'll only have a couple of nights ion kangaroo Island. Where should we stay to maximize wildlife viewing? We'd probably like to rent a house or cottage. Yes, we'll drive to places during the day. Looks like kangaroos and wallabies are almost guaranteed. Seeing somewhat more unusual wildlife would be really cool! I'm looking at places on Stayz and the Kangaroo Island accommodation website and liking ones with "wildlife on deck." I promise we'll use common sense; we don't let our local wildlife eat from our hands! But is Vivonne Bay best? Someplace else????

Separate question: Can we legally collect fossils anywhere on KI?

Many thanks!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,742 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay; wildlife;1st time visit

my favourite is Hanson Bay www.hansonbay.com.au/beachfront-cabins/

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,577 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay; wildlife;1st time visit

Generally speaking the more "off the beaten track " you are, the more likely you are to have wildllife on your doorstep

Places which spring to mind (without an idea of your budget ) include Lathami Lodge, Cape Forbin Retreat, Cape Hart Wilderness Retreat, Hanson Bay (as mentioned above) Blue Seas D'Estrees Bay,

Vivonne Bay is lovely but be aware that only a few places offer ocean views. Do check the location on Google to confirm that the pictures on the home website are actual views from the house not just those of the area. Many people booking Vivonne Bay have been disappointed to discover that their home is in the bush and the beach is acutally a long walk away so I always recommend that people check closely.

Many holiday homes located in less-popyulated areas will have wildlife nearby... Having said that I've booked holiday homes on Island beach (a popular destination) and had wallabies bouncing up the front steps !

Is there anything specifically you want to see? (ie Sea Eagles, Seals, Wallabies, Cockatoos? Koalas?) as there are places which would offer more likelihood of sightings than others if you had anything specific in mind. Also.. will you have a car? will it be a high clearance car? some of the best places require a sturdy vehicle so that would make a difference.

Have you read the KI trip reports here on TA?

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,577 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay; wildlife;1st time visit

Can't speak from a legal perspective but it's probably not a problem unless you're in a National Park.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,742 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay; wildlife;1st time visit

Re the fossil question …adam.com.au/hayesjd/…home.html.

Note it is illegal to take fossils out of Australia.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
364 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay; wildlife;1st time visit

Thanks to all! I've love to see a possum or an echidna or a sea eagle. Though anything local there will be fun and wild to us. I had NOT realized the removing fossils from Australia is illegal, so thanks for that info. We'll have a car (clearance unknown, though if its an issue , I'd spring for something higher).

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
407 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay; wildlife;1st time visit

We loved Eleanor River Homestead...central location and abundant wildlife on the property.

http://eleanorriverhomestead.com.au/

My Review:

tripadvisor.ca/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

7. Re: Where to stay; wildlife;1st time visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 May 2013, 14:26
Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
364 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay; wildlife;1st time visit

Thanks one and all for your advice! I contacted the Australian embassy about fossil collecting. The issue is exporting them. Australia has strict, though somewhat vague and cumbersome requirements for what can be taken out of the country. A designated museum expert must examine the specimens and certify that they are not unusual, and thus protected patrimony. Or that they ARE unusual, and thus protected patrimony! AND one has to specify where one wants to collect, so the proper expert can be contacted. Live critters seem like much more fun--and easier!

9. Re: Where to stay; wildlife;1st time visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Kangaroo Island