We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kangaroo Island vs Uluru

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kangaroo Island vs Uluru

I will be traveling through OZ in July/Aug for a month. I want to go to Uluru and Kangaroo Island, but my budget wont allow both. Do you recommend one over the other? Do you have any suggestions on how to cut cost in order to see both? How many nights in each place is enough time to get a good taste, but still be most cost efficient? Thanks for your help.

1. Re: Kangaroo Island vs Uluru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 May 2013, 09:52
2. Re: Kangaroo Island vs Uluru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 May 2013, 05:35
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,048 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kangaroo Island vs Uluru

Gasp, I hope that 1st reply was just poorly worded, but as it stands it’s really not appropriate.

As to the question at hand it’s going to depend on what you’re looking for. As has been pointed out they are very different destinations. We loved our visit to KI, but if you’re doing the usual tourist routes involving Sydney and the Great Barrier Reef and tropics, I would recommend Uluru over KI because it is different. Beautiful and unique as KI is, I think it is similar enough to what you can access in you’re the other destinations that you’re not missing out as much as if you skip the opportunity to see the red centre. Uluru is a great place to learn about indigenous culture also, IMHO the rock, its spirituality and its indigenous people have to be explored as a package. Don’t go to Uluru just for the sunset. It doesn’t always perform.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,957 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kangaroo Island vs Uluru

Hi,

I also agree with Snodge my vote would go towards Uluru only because its very unique. KI is also very impressive although its completely different. It would be fabulous if you could stretch your budget to see both.

Consider looking into the fares with Jetstar which are offering cheap deals as they are opening up this route for the first time in June. See link below for details.

jetstar.com/mediacentre/…

If you hunt around for a cheap deal you maybe able to see both destinations. Consider also staying at the cheapest place at Uluru ie Pioneer Lodge so you can save some $$$.

For additional info on Uluru see the link below.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17672-Uluru_Ng…

My Trip Report KI

tripadvisor.com/…20620773

June / July is our winter so it will be chilly in KI & cold in Uluru at night. Although the daytime will be lovely,

Edited: 01 May 2013, 07:40
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kangaroo Island vs Uluru

Excuse me there was nothing racist in my answer to the Op in this message. But your response to accuse me of such was. and I will report yours

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kangaroo Island vs Uluru

I have reported both your reply, and the other poster, and asked that my answer be removed. I am most certainly not a racist, and I am deeply offended

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,403 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kangaroo Island vs Uluru

Wow that's a hard choice.

It may depend a bit on where else you are visiting, but I think I have to agree with the others and say Uluru. It really is unique.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kangaroo Island vs Uluru

I would not consider post 1 to be racist in the extreme, poorly worded perhaps and #2 could have improved matters by clarifying the errors in #1. Uluru was handed back to the aborigines a few years ago who then leased it back to the Australian Government under a 99 year lease to run in conjunction with the aborigines. There are several National Parks which are run this way by both the Commonwealth and Territory governments. I don't know what the situation is in other states.

Like most National Parks you need to pay an entry fee to enter, some of this money is used in running the NP, wages, upkeep etc and some goes back to the communities involved.

A permit is not required to enter the 'tourist area' in Uluru but if you go outside the 'tourist area' then you are on aboriginal land and therefore a permit will be required. You need a valid reason to apply for a permit, eg work in Docker River or to drive through to Giles or Warburton. There are restrictions on where you can go and your length of stay, basically you have to keep to the road with a couple of minor restriction such as a detour to Lasserter's cave.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kangaroo Island vs Uluru

In my opinion Uluru and the surrounding area including Kings Canyon, would be the more interesting place to visit as it is so different from what there is elsewhere in Australia. Kangaroo Island, a nice place but there other islands around which are as good or similar.

Cost wise KI would probably be cheaper, there is a range of accommodation in Uluru ranging from camping to cabins to hotel rooms. Depending on numbers in your party it may be cheaper to fly to Alice Springs and hire a car to visit Uluru, it is all on good sealed roads though if you want to visit Kings Canyon some of the access is on a gravel road and rental companies do not allow their cars to travel on gravel roads.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kangaroo Island vs Uluru

LsBob I was going to leave thread alone, the Op asked about both places. Kangaroo Is has a long pioneering history for a small Island. I thought it may be interesting for an OS traveller. We are so young to many other countries. There are as you say many others just as unique for different reasons. This History is close to my private life, . Uluru just as unique. Thank you for upating me re it being leased back to the Aust Govt. I was not aware that had occured, but I did know there were parts which MAY require a permit. I was alluding to this in my post. I hope the traveller can make a right decision.

Get answers to your questions about Kangaroo Island