We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitors rent car or hire guide

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
347 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
First time visitors rent car or hire guide

Appreciate any feedback you can give us.

I have seen posts that seem to be dated but is it advisable with only two days for a non hiking couple to hire a guide or rent a car to get around the vast island.

The guides I have contacted are fairly expensive to me (almost $400 per person). I did see Budget Rental. They do allow driving on unsealed roads but not on beaches which seems fine for us.

Know our time is short but if you could please provide some insight that would be most helpful for our November visit. Thank you so much.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitors rent car or hire guide

Be careful of the car hire excess, they are horrendous in OZ.

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
347 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitors rent car or hire guide

Thank you- do you suggest renting a car on the island then?? The regular cars (not 4W Drive) from Budget are not bad at about $80 per day.

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
347 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitors rent car or hire guide

Sorry- misread your email. Do you suggest a guide since the rental add ons are so high?

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visitors rent car or hire guide

a private tour would be expensive

joining a larger tour would take you to lots of places and would be cheaper

having a car would enable you to stop where and when you want for as long as you want

you wont need to go off made roads even if they aren't bitumen

don't drive fast or at night and expect some animal on the road at anytime

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visitors rent car or hire guide

I don't think you will need a guide if you are planning to do the major interest points, as maps with the highlights are easy to come by and all the big stuff is on main roads with good signage. The visitor centers have a lot of info and all the attractions give directions. Lots of the attractions are on the web, as wells here on trip advisor.

You can fly to the island and pick up a car there, or hire in Adelaide and take the car there and back on the ferry. Flying will give you more time, and the ferry crossing can be rough.

Seal bay, Kelly hill caves, admirals arch, remarkable rocks are all on the sealed ring road. You can get a parks pass that covers the entry fee for all of them at a discount. Look for the koala in the car park at the visitor center at flinders chase.

The roads out to the lighthouses are rough, so unless you really want to do a lighthouse tour, it is a lot of time and effort.

The produce and arts are sometimes just off the main roads, with a small amount of unsealed, but well made road to travel so you can hunt honey, lavender, marron, wines, glass, fabrics, eucalyptus oil, etc in comfort.

You do have to pay attention to the fuel points when traveling as it can be a distance between fuel stops especially if you have hired a small car. And packing some snacks and drink is nice so you can stop and admire the view as a break

Enjoy your visit.. Don't forget to go looking for platypus at the waterholes in Flinders chase behind the visitor center

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visitors rent car or hire guide

Many people self-tour and in such cases they often fly down and pick up a car at the airport. If time is tight this is generally what I would recommend. The car hire places on the island understand that many of the major tourist spots are not accessible by bitumen.

I would look at a loose itinerary and do the math.. you can get a car for $80 a day but there is an excess kilometre fee. If you plan to do the Flinders Chase/Seal Bay etc route then this should not be too exorbitant.

7. Re: First time visitors rent car or hire guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Kangaroo Island