We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on 3n/4d KI Itinerary

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
35 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback on 3n/4d KI Itinerary

My husband and I are visiting Kangaroo Island as part of a trip to Australia/New Zealand next February and I am looking for feedback/suggestions on our tentative itinerary. Our flights are already booked so our arrival/departure is fixed but other than that we are open to suggestions! We are in our mid-to-late twenties and we are mainly interested in: wildlife, hiking, unique scenery, kayaking, wineries/breweries. We will have a rental car during our stay. We have yet to book hotels but I am considering Flour Cask Bay Retreat and KI Wilderness Retreat. Thanks in advance!

Day 1:

Fly into Adelaide (arrive 10:20am), pick up rental car,

Pick up groceries in outskirts of Adelaide

Leisurely drive to Cape Jervis (stop to eat lunch at winery along the way)

Ferry to Penneshaw (Should we take the 4pm or 6pm?)

Stay at Flour Cask Bay Retreat

Day 2:

South Coast Road: Seals Bay Conservation Park, Vivonne Bay for Whiting Burger & swim, Little Sahara

Stay at Flour Cask Bay Retreat

Day 3:

Flinders Chase National Park

Hansen Bay for Koala Walk or possibly Nocturnal Tour

Stay at KI Wilderness Retreat

Day 4:

Drive back towards Penneshaw (suggestions for stops along the way welcome!)

Lunch at Sunset Winery

Explore Penneshaw

Ferry back to mainland (Should we take the 5:30pm or 7:30pm?)

Drive back to Adelaide

I’d really like to do the ocean kayak tour by Cruising Kangaroo Island but not sure where to fit it in. The tours leave from Browns Beach in the American River area at either 9am, 1pm, or 5pm. I’d also love to fit in a meal at Andermel Marron & Café, visiting Emu Ridge Eucalyptus Distillery & Rookery Wine/Cider, and a swim at Emu bay or Stokes Bay but was unsure if we could squeeze those locations in without it being too hectic. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback on 3n/4d KI Itinerary

Make sure your hire car company lets you take the car to KI. KI has a lot of dirt roads and wildlife, and some companies don't allow cars to be taken there at all; others won't let you drive between dusk and dawn due to dangers of crashing into wildlife and the remote roads. There are companies who let you hire them on the island.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback on 3n/4d KI Itinerary

You could probably include Emu Bay or Stokes Bay into Day 4 and are definitely worth the inclusion - On Day 4 if you were to leave early - head up to Kingscote - stop in at KI Spriits and try their gin and liquers. Grab early takeaway lunch from Kingscote (my preference the Seafood takeaway located in Mobil service station - award winning and fantastic) take lunch to Emu Bay - swim.... head to Sunset Winery for late afternoon platter and wine tasting and then take the 7.30pm.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback on 3n/4d KI Itinerary

Hi,

Your itinerary looks good to me. Don't forget to try the Whiting fish burger in KI !

my TR on KI may also give you some other ideas.

tripadvisor.com.au/…20620773

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
35 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback on 3n/4d KI Itinerary

Thanks to all for your input. Ellemay I used your trip review (among many others) to help me in planning our itinerary :) TripAdvisor is such a terrific resource! I think that we are going to stick with this as our basic plan and adapt as needed once we get to KI. I can't wait for our trip!

Level Contributor
9 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback on 3n/4d KI Itinerary

Hi there, great trip you have planned. D'Arrys Winery at McLaren Vale comes highly recommended with bookings essential and take the 4pm ferry for sure. Allow 1 hr 15 min for an easy drive from there to the ferry and remember you need to be there at 3:30pm.

Noting your interests, I would highly recommend visiting Kangaroo Island Fresh Seafood ( see TripAdvisor reviews) and for location stay at the Wilderness Retreat as it is much closer to the main National Parks and wildlife attractions. Kangaroo Island Outdoor Action, based at Vivonne Bay, have sand boards for surfing the dunes at Little Sahara, kayaks for paddling in the Harriet River and guaranteed viewing of kangaroos in the wild if you do the last tour of the day on the quad bikes. You get to see part of Kangaroo Island that is otherwise inaccessible, learn about Kangaroo Island from local guides and it is only twentyfive minutes drive back to the Wilderness Retreat. Highly recommend Marron Cafe for lunch and also Dudley Wines for their whiting pizza and fantastic views with a glass of wine. Stokes Bay is worth the drive if you can fit it in, and a swim with wild dolphins with Kangaroo Island Marine Adventures will amaze you. Wishing you all the best with your holiday.

6. Re: Feedback on 3n/4d KI Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Kangaroo Island