We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's Tassie like in November?

Seville, Victoria
3 posts
Save Topic
What's Tassie like in November?

My wife and I want to go to Tassie for two weeks in November 2007, and want to know 2 things - What's the weather like over their then, and what is a good cheap itinery to tour by our car and cheap accomodation? We want to see all the Major Attractions we can, including old Railways, Mines, worthwhile Museums, Old towns and bridges etc., that we can in two weeks. Can anyone help us with this info please? (P.S. we're in our 60's)

Adelaide
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What's Tassie like in November?

Hi Ollietom1944

I can't answer your question with experience, but hope we both benefit from your question....

We are also going to Tassie in November (23 days - post prior to yours)

So far everywhere we have booked I have asked the same in regards to the weather, the response I am getting is that November is one of the better times to be there.

Here's hoping they are right for you two and the four of us.

I would be please to get responses from some of the "locals" with first hand experience....

It may help us all in the planning of activities, etc.

Good luck with your plans, we may even cross paths along the way.

Cheers Khasie

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's Tassie like in November?

Hallo, I have only been to Tasmania once, in November '99 for 12 days.

it was absolutely freezing and rained every day. Not all day every day but not 1 day did it not.

We were mostly in Hobart visiting family, also toured the West coast.I still have the fetching umbrella I bought in Queenstown, it features raining cats & dogs.

In Strachan it was much like Sydney today-p****g down. For 2 days we hoped for a scenic flight of the Franklin & the Gordon before giving up and taking a river cruise.

Fortunately family have moved to Melbourne where the weather is much more reliable!

Seville, Victoria
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What's Tassie like in November?

Thank you folks for answering my query. Looks like We'll have to keep asking around - good Luck for your trip in November. Ollietom.

Tasmanian
Level Contributor
187 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's Tassie like in November?

A local perspective on the weather!

Novevmber can be very nice indeed. But it is spring and it is meant to rain!

The west coast, that's where Strahan is, is a rain forest area and it's going to rain more there in November than on the East Coast.

Day time temps can be around 17-24, night time about 7-10 so just bring a jumper and a coat and an umbrella or a rain coat and you'll be right. Alternatively if you want to be guaranteed of fine weather , well almost, come in February or March!

Museums:

Several of those around! You may enjoy the Pearns steam world at Westbury, or the Esk railways museum in Launceston, pat of the Queen victoria museum ( but in a second location), it's old railway yards and workshops been turned into a museum and art gallery.

Don't miss the Zeehan museum on the west coast.

And the Beaconsfield gold mine museum.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What's Tassie like in November?

hi ollietom...i've been to tassie 6 times over 9 years. Yeah..it's a bloody ordinary place! Nah...i've been to your neck of the woods too, and i'm thinking its a little cooler in Seville in Winter than tassie will be in November!! hee hee.

Weather can change quickly so if you don't like it just hang about for 10 minutes! Take some clothing that suits all types of weather. We were in Strahan in November and it was cold and rainy (about 14C) but as has been stated..it's a rainforest so you have to expect it!

We were blessed with great weather everywhere else we went esp. East Coast. My photo to the left was taken at Binalong Bay up near STHelens. Looks like Queensland, doesn't it? Anyway, grenerally speaking I havent found the weather to be too bad except perhaps for up Mt Wellington where...in Winter...its bloody dreadful! COLD!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's Tassie like in November?

Nov 05 was great. No rain for us. But cradle Mtn you did need a jacket.

Seville, Victoria
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What's Tassie like in November?

Thanks heaps for the extra info folks. Especially the local info. My, it does sound a bit like Melbourne - 4 seasons in one day, eh? Stay well, and thanks again for the help! Ollietom1944

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's Tassie like in November?

you will have no probs getting around Tassie in the two weeks, except wanting to stay somewhere and soak it in.

Launceston, the Cataract Gorge is really worth it.

also a drive up the Tamar valley, you can see the Beaconfield museum on the way.

Bernie- Great Cheese factory and tasting room. Also I believe a truly unique paper factory, where you see paper sculptures that take your breath away.

Cradle Mountain is worth an overnight. it is so spectacular. If money is tight, then stay in the nearby (around 15kms) hamlet. cant remember the names but there are a few, just use trip advisor or google to find them.

Strachan and Queenstown. the old railway well worth the trip and now i believe there is an alternative for the diesel half of the trip. If you like railways you will love this trip.

Queenstown is not a real tourist town, but if you dont mind driving around long bends, it is much cheape to stay there than in Strachan. we have relatives in Queenstown, so we have stayed there twice now, and gone down to Strachan for the day. Just dont read while in the car and if necessary take carsick pills, the road is that windy. but beautiful.

havent been to the east coast for over 20 years, but Bicheno and Hobart and of course Port Arthur are all worth while.

we travelled west to east, then up the east coast back to Launceston.

As you have your car I presume you are coming over on the boat, in which case Launceston is to your east, so either backtrack in the begining, or see it on your way back. It is only around an hours drive away, and most places up on the north are really close to each other.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's Tassie like in November?

We were there Late Nov/ early Dec a few years back. Expect cool, expect rain (although it didn't for us except overnight a couple of times).

Attractions - for railways memorabilia check out the museum in Launceston at Inveresk in the old railway workshops - this was a magic expereience for me - very atmospheric and evocative. Beaconsfield museum in the old gold mine buildings, Richmond & Ross for bridges and old buildings. Also Battery Point in Hobart (I guess Port Arthur is already on your list?)

10. Re: What's Tassie like in November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 18:20