We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wildlife parks in Tasmania

Townsville,North...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
wildlife parks in Tasmania

We are visiting Tasmania (from Nth Qld) over the Christmas holidays and would like to visit some wildlife attractions. We have teenagers. I've looked at many over the internet but it is hard to choose which are the best. eg: Zoodoo WP (Richmond), Something Wild WS (Mt Field NP), Wings WP (Gunns Plains), Devils Heaven (Launceston), Trowunna WP (Mole Creek), East Coast Nature World (Bicheno), Bonorong WP (Brighton). Please help!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wildlife parks in Tasmania

The one we visited was the Tasmanian Devil Conservation Park

www.tasmaniandevilpark.com

We enjoyed it but I don't know what else to say as we aren't in a position to compare it with the others.

The other one that seems to get mentioned I think is Trowunna. And have you heard of the seahorse place? We wanted to see it but ran out of time. Oops, I guess I've just given you more to think about.

If you can't get any helpful comparisons perhaps the way to decide would be to look at how the locations fit in with the rest of your plans?

Townsville,North...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: wildlife parks in Tasmania

Thanks MacKnee. We will have 4 weeks in Tasmania so will be going to most areas and will probably try to see a variety of animal type attractions - maybe Seahorse Word, a devil place (maybe Tas Devil Conservation Park or Devils@Cradle)and a general wildlife park???

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: wildlife parks in Tasmania

Trowunna is great. Didnt do the seahorses either..maybe next time...but it's heavily advertised as being fab just about everywhere you look (& Tasmanians dont lie about these things).

At Bicheno there are penguins too in case you didn't know...no crowds like in Victoria and a much more personal and intimate experience. Cheap as chips too. Worth a look esp. as you have 4 weeks. They have accomodation on-site. Its called Diamond Island.

You might also consider a tour of Maria Island with a guide...in Summer it'll be heaven. All sorts of critters and aside from them it's totally uninhabited. Ferries to the island leave from a town called Triabunna not far (1.5 hours approx.) from Hobart.

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
299 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wildlife parks in Tasmania

I would also recommend Trowunna. It's not huge as zoos go, but the fact that they so carefully recreate natural environments for the animals is to be admired. You won't need very long here. No more than 2 hours, unless you're just enamoured with the Tassie Devils like we were.

We also did the Seahorse World and nextdoor Platypus House in Beauty Point. After having been platypus spotting in the wild, seeing platypus in tanks was a bit of a letdown. The part we enjoyed was meeting a couple of echidnas up close in their very own room. The Seahorse World was neat, but it was one of those experiences that I had hyped up in my mind and afterward felt the time (& money) could have been better spent elsewhere.

If you want a platypus guided tour, I'd suggest the one in Latrobe. At a $10 donation/fee it's cheaper than the Playtpus House (was $15 when we were there in 06). The downside is the time limit of dawn- or dusk-only tours.

www.latrobe.tas.gov.au/site/page.cfm…

We regretted not having enough time to see penguins. I guess it depends on what animals your teenagers are interested in as to what to do. We love any and all animals, so we really enjoyed the experiences Tassie had to offer.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: wildlife parks in Tasmania

Another thing to consider if you are interested would be a dive.

This one (among others) I found on discovertasmania.com

www.discovertasmania.com.au/home/index.cfm…

Its up at Bay of Fires (NE Launceston) and near Binalong Bay - beautiful! seriously the best beach in Oz - and you'd get to see the seadragons etc up close and personal. There are other tours closer to Hbt that take you to the sea kelp forests which are huge. Seals, dolphins etc etc

If you guys are adventurous then it might be something worth looking in to?

Townsville,North...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: wildlife parks in Tasmania

Thanks for the great ideas everyone!

Tasmania
Level Contributor
111 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wildlife parks in Tasmania

Hi,

I live just down the road from Gunns Plains Wildlife Park - so called me biased!! hee, hee! I do love it there, because it has animals from EVERYWHERE - not just Tassie devils. It also has cute accommodation cabins too if you are interested!

www.discovertasmania.com.au/home/index.cfm…

While you are in the area, you could also visit the famous Gunns Plains Caves,

Here is a link:

www.discovertasmania.com.au/home/product.cfm…

Then to top of a great day drop into the Leven Vally Vinyard for a drop or two!

http://www.levenvalleyvineyard.com.au/

Anyhow, hope you have a great trip, happy planning and safe travels,

Cheers

Lyn

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wildlife parks in Tasmania

Hi Lyn, is that near Leven Canyon? OP is going for four weeks (lucky people!) so would you suggest they include that on their trip? I don't know what it's like these days, hubby and I went there on our first trip a couple of decades ago. Also, speaking of caves, somebody was asking for a comparison of Tassie caves just the other day.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
111 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wildlife parks in Tasmania

Hi Macknee

As the crow flies in Tassie Leven Canyon isn't too far from Gunns Plains - probably 30-40 minutes. All three would be worth a visit if in the area and enjoy that sort of thing.

Ahhh, would be nice to be on holiday! lol!

Cheers

Lyn

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wildlife parks in Tasmania

Nice to have four whole weeks :-) Should be a great holiday. Hubby and I spent three weeks in Tassie and the family's more recent holiday was two and a half weeks. We have a list of things we haven't seen yet, and a list of things we want to see again.