We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cradle Mt info for the not-so-intrepid bushwalkers

Australia
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Cradle Mt info for the not-so-intrepid bushwalkers

Just back from an overnight trip to Cradle Mountain, and thought this info might be helpful if people are planning a visit. We have been before, but I’ve noticed people on TA asking about level of difficulty etc. The walk around Dove Lake is very beautiful. It takes about 2 hours (including stops to look at the view, have a break). If you intend to go all the way around, walk in an anti clockwise way – that way you get the worst of the steps/climbing out of the way when you are freshest. Most of the track is gravel, and a bit rough. There are board walk sections. There is a far amount of climbing (steps). A person of average fitness should be fine. We are not “youngies” (but are pretty fit), but saw people of all levels of fitness doing the walks. Anyway, you don’t have to do the whole walk – you can turn back if you have had enough. Be sure to walk down to the Old Boat House and then continue on around the lake. The Ballroom Forest is very special. Another interesting walk is the Cradle Mt Board Walk. This is all board walk, but includes many steps. You can start at various points, and can even organize to come out at certain points and get the shuttle bus to another point (you pay for the bus). There is most interesting information and interpretation centre, with maps and all info about these walks and distances etc. Go there before you head off. Even if you are not a keen walker, if you leave the interpretation centre and walk just 2-3 minutes along the board walk you will see the most beautiful rain forest glade. We stayed at the Wilderness Village: www.cradlevillage.com.au – this is self contained accommodation, self catering. It is right in the bush – but so comfortable, beautifully clean, warm. You walk onto the balcony and look straight into the bush – paddymelons (a sort of wallaby), wombats etc. Just lovely!! I should imagine for people who live a “big city” lifestyle this would be a wonderful experience.

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cradle Mt info for the not-so-intrepid bushwalkers

Hi Vicolivia, Interesting and useful info about cradle. We (husband & myself) did the Dove Lake walk some years ago, in the month Feb,it was a misty and very light drissle foggy day, but yet is was beautiful. As the following day was actually our last in tassie on that holiday, we woke to a glorious clear blue skyed day, so we blew the last of our monies and took a flight over the region in a small plane. The best thing we did. The views were fantasic and Dove lake looked great from the air. We haven't done any of the others that you mentioned. We are going back to Tassie in August, taking another couple who haven't been before. Yes I know that it is going to be cold. We are thinking of spending a night at cradle and were thinking of staying at the Cosy Cabins ( 2 bedroom cottages). Any info or comments on what they may be like, if you have seen them at all???? We are from a small rural area of northern NSW but just love the different types of bush and countryside that tassie has to offer, and are looking forward ( hopefully) to experiencing another side of tassie in August.

Have been doing heaps of research even though I've been before, it is amazing what one still finds about assie that is worth seeing.

Thanks for your info anyway, and am sure others will benefit from this.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cradle Mt info for the not-so-intrepid bushwalkers

Glad you found it useful info. You will probably find some good deals on wotif or the accomnmodation places own websites, as it will be low season!! I don't know anything about the cosy cabins there, but they were very near the Wilderness Village we stayed in

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,484 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cradle Mt info for the not-so-intrepid bushwalkers

Good post Vicolivia.

I'm just wondering why it took us significantly longer to walk round Dove Lake. I didn't think my bad knee slowed us down too much except in the steepest sections. Perhaps it was all those photo stops. Or all those snack stops. Which reminds me, I'll mention that in the steepest parts there were some very nice places to sit down and rest and admire the view.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cradle Mt info for the not-so-intrepid bushwalkers

Talking of snacks reminds me to warn all walkers to be very, very careful when eating at Cradle mt. The cuurrawongs are extremeley aggressive - they have huge beaks and will swoop out of no-where and sieze food from ones' hands!!

5. Re: Cradle Mt info for the not-so-intrepid bushwalkers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 07:16