We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B/w Hobart and Strahan? Cradle Mt. Which town to fly from?

Victoria
Level Contributor
79 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
B/w Hobart and Strahan? Cradle Mt. Which town to fly from?

We are intending an 8 to 10 day visit of Tasmania in Nov 08. Focus will be around Hobart, Strahan and Cradle Mountain.

I'm interested in thoughts on what we could do to break a day drive b/w Hobart and Strahan.

Also, should we stay on Cradle Mountain, or do a day trip from somewhere close? We don't want to spend too much on accommodation (eg. $130+/night for a couple)and our enjoyment of the wilderness usually involves sightseeing and short walks. We will be travelling there from Strahan.

Finally, is there any stand out attraction in Burnie, Devonport or Launceston that should influence our decision of which town to fly back to Melbourne from?

Thanks, Alan

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B/w Hobart and Strahan? Cradle Mt. Which town to fly from?

Stay on Cradle Mountain – you'll make better use of your time.

Fly from Launceston: it's a pretty town and neither Burnie nor Devonport do much for us.

singapore
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B/w Hobart and Strahan? Cradle Mt. Which town to fly from?

cosy cabins hostel in cradle mountain was fantastic! you can choose the small huts for 2 pax - i stayed there when i was there.

i'm not sure how much it costs since i did a tour with under down under.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B/w Hobart and Strahan? Cradle Mt. Which town to fly from?

Fly home from the place that gives you the best price.

Burnie airport is actually in Wynyard.This is close to Table Cape-might still see the Tulips.But you can stay in Stanley a quaint tourist town with a fishing problem.An hour's drive will easily see you at the airport in Wynyard.

Devonport.Again there is a lot around with the towns of Sheffield, Deloraine etc being an easy drive to the airport.

I spent a month working in Burnie and did several trip reports of the attractions around there and deloraine as well as a weekend at Cradle Mountain.Just search this forum.

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B/w Hobart and Strahan? Cradle Mt. Which town to fly from?

I am planning our third trip to tassie for early august. This time we are flying to hobart ( from Brisbane) and doing a circle over 12 days.(4 adults).

Anyway, in reply to your queries, Launceston and close surrounds has heaps to offer and day trips out and about, plenty to see. Bigger airport (presumably) and fairly close to everything. We plan to stay at cosy cabins mostly, during our trip as they are offering 2 bedroom cottages, $132 per nite for 4 adults. We intend to stay with them at cradle mtn, so was inerested in other comments made about there. We plan on staying at cradle for 2 days, plenty of walks etc to do. Up that way, Sheffield ( town of Murals) is a must, and the caves at Mole crek are great, through to Deloraine then Westbury is a nice drive ( Pearns Steam museum is very interesting) then onto Launceston. Previously we have stayed at strahan and did a wilderness flight (quicker than doing the boat cruise), this time hope to spend more time at queenstown.I believe Tallaleah has interesting hydo to view, plus highland cattle would be unique. Mt field national park is interesting, New norfolk pleasent but I admit my favourite region is the Huon Valley ( SW of hobart). A must is the Tahune Airwalk, visit to Geeveston and we plan to go all the way down to Cockle creek. The most southern point/road in Australia. Anyway, Tassie has so much to offer in too short a time. Just do your research and costing of what costs what. Enjoy your trip whatever you plan to do, but be flexible, depending on weather.

Carol

Melbourne Aust
Level Contributor
156 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B/w Hobart and Strahan? Cradle Mt. Which town to fly from?

Hi VicAlan,

Hobart is the most beautiful city in Australia and it would be a criminal offence not to stay there. There are numerous options in Hobart - Mt Wellington, Mt Nelson, Port Arthur, Battery Point, Salamanca Place, Bruny Island etc.

I wouldn't bother breaking the journey from Hobart to Strahan except for meal stops. New Norfolk is sizeable and there are shops at Hamilton. Queenstown is of interest for some sightseeing.

I agree with EllaDexter - stay at Cradle Mountain, otherwise you'll waste a lot of time.

Also, Drron suggested Stanley - this a is a unique little town of immense interest, lots of different accommodation options and the best crayfish in Oz. You could easily use it as a stopover from Cradle Mountain to Burnie/Devonport on your way.

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B/w Hobart and Strahan? Cradle Mt. Which town to fly from?

Hi VicAlan,

Can't emphasise enough about doing your research and really get an idea on what you would like to see. As mentioned earlier I am planning my third trip. Ist trip was for 14 days ( 9 years ago) and we did the loop ( Launceston/launceston)and missed NW cnr ( Devonport, stanley etc). And 2nd trip ( 3 yrs ago) we based ourselves at Sheffield for 5 days and did day trips all around NW cnr, (flew into Launceston) then came through the middle back to hobart , via New Norfolk) to visit friends and do another quick trip down into Mt Field National Park, then flew out of Hobart (back to BRisbane). Every corner or area of Tassie is different, with so much to see and on offer. Distances between towns may be short, But there is so much to see in between. It can be adventerous and wilderness, or food and wine or historical. You just have to choose. Keep in mind also, if interested in outdoors/walking - National Parks $50 pass is a must if entering many N.P rather than paying daily car entry fee. Yet many other walking areas are in Forestry run areas, and there is entry fees etc ( eg Tahune Airwalk, near geeveston). Plan, go, be ready for any type of weather ( don't presume that it will stay warm) and thoroughly enjoy ready to plan your next trip.

7. Re: B/w Hobart and Strahan? Cradle Mt. Which town to fly from?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 12:26