We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can Tasmania be a daytrip?

Redondo Beach...
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Can Tasmania be a daytrip?

I'll be in Sydney from June 15 to June 20 and was wondering if it made any sense at all to take a daytrip or maybe an overnight trip to Tasmania.

I understand that we'd need weeks to see it properly probably, but I doubt when I'll be in that part of the world again and I feel like I should try if it's worth it at all.

This is part of a larger trip in which we're going to Auckland, Rotorua, Christchurch, Sydney, Cairns, and Brisbane over 3 weeks.

I've found some mid week airfares on Virgin Blue for $75 AUD one way which seems like a great deal.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can Tasmania be a daytrip?

don't bother!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can Tasmania be a daytrip?

You will still need to spend time getting to and from the airport (at both ends) plus allow check in time. With no baggage, and checking in online would not be so bad. You still need to be ready to board with VB at least 30 minutes before departure. You would then get to Hobart or Launceston? and perhaps do a coach tour to actually see anything in such a short period of time. Your flights would have to correlate with the tours available.

Plus of course it is likely to be freezing cold and wet in Tassie, plus perhaps foggy at either end and flights could be delayed. It might just end up being a complete and utter waste of time.

I love Tasmania - spent 6 days there and saw everything I wanted to see. Personally, unless you are over 90 or know your life time is short :-) I would leave it for another time.

Hobart
Level Contributor
461 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can Tasmania be a daytrip?

Much as I love Tassie I'd give it a miss in this case.

Take the chance to hit somewhere unusual in your time in Sydney - maybe get out of the city

I am sure the Sydneysiders can suggest something :)

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can Tasmania be a daytrip?

personall, I adore Tassie,could you maybe shorten any of your other destinations, so you could go to Tassie for a few days?

Also, have a look at Tiger Airways for deals aswell as Jetstar.

Jetstar could get you there midweek with cabin baggage only for $39 one way.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can Tasmania be a daytrip?

meant to say 'personally'

sorry.

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Can Tasmania be a daytrip?

I have just had 3 weeks in Tassy and found it a wonderful place. I did a mystery flight many years ago and ende up in Melbourne for the day. Even with no planning at all we did and saw so much. So yes it can be done and it could turn out wonderful. But if as dealt with above you have bad weather on that one day it could turn out a disaster.Personally I would spend more time enjoying where you have planned and not taking the chance. After this trip you will want to come back anyway.

The temperature on the east coast here is simular to your west coast only reversed.In June it will be warm in the north and cold in the south.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can Tasmania be a daytrip?

Yes its possible!

I did a day trip flying from NYC to Niagara falls, returning late in the evening and it was fantastic.

You will only get to see a small amount of Tassie, but as you say, you doubt when you will be in that part of the world again, so I say go for it.

The flights are very inexpensive, which is also a great incentive.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can Tasmania be a daytrip?

My take on this question is, No you can't do Tassie as a day trip. Note warnings on weather that time of year, and that Sydney and Melbourne are currently experiencing major delays due to fog, and add that many interesting things are outside of Hobart and Launceston and take added time to get to.

I'd suggest a day trip to Katoomba, Blue Mountains, or maybe an overnight up in the Hunter Valley.

But ultimately it will be up to you and whether you can cope with the stress :-) Cheerz Wab

Hobart
Level Contributor
461 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can Tasmania be a daytrip?

abc.net.au/news/…

flight delayed today :(

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can Tasmania be a daytrip?

If you did an overnight trip (flew in very early & left very late at night the next night) its possible maybe fly into Hobart & out of Launceston or vice versa. I love Tassie. But if you want to see more of NSW take a drive south to Wollongong & coast roads drive along the new cliff road near Stanwell Tops, visit the Buddhist temple (biggest in southern hemisphere) or go north to Port Stephens (Nelson Bay) area, Hunter Valley not far & Morpeth a lovely town, either way about 2 to 3 hrs drive & of course you could easily spend your whole time in the Blue Mts/Jenolan caves area. Sorry just reread your post it seems you only have a short time in Sydney 15-20 so I would explore NSW more.