We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 bedroom accommodation Coles Bay

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
624 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
2 bedroom accommodation Coles Bay

Does anyone have any suggestions on 2 bedroom self containedaccommodation for 17, 18 & 19 January that will take a 3 night booking?

We were hoping to stay at Iluka but they won't take anything less than 5 days.

We have children aged 7 & 8.

I was hoping to get something for about $150 a night but willing to go to $200 if necessary.

We want something in Coles Bay close to Freycinet NP and beach.

Any help would be appreciated. I've had a look at Wineglass web site but there are so many listed to know which might accept 3 nights.

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 bedroom accommodation Coles Bay

As I am returning to Tassie next week for our 3rd trip, but this time with 4 adults, I have been doing heaps of reasearch to s/c 2 bed. We only have 1st 2 nights in Hobart booked then are free wheeling it around, knowing that the weather can be so unpredictable.

But gettting back to your enquiry.The following may help. Obtain a copy of Discover Tasmania, from Tavel agent,or it can be posted. view their website www.discovertasmania.com.au. Over 100 pages of acc. anyway in Bicheno ( 30mins from Coles bay) this years edition, so therefore 07/07 xmas season listed, most have min 2 nights. Not much acc at Coles Bay from what I can see.

check Bicheno by the Bay, 20 timber bungalows.

Diamond Island Oceanview apartments,

Bicheno East Coast Holiday park

Bicheno Cabins & tourist Park (part of the cosy cabins group)

Sandpiper ocean cottages, www.sandpiper.au.com(?? I think)

these might give you a lead.

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 bedroom accommodation Coles Bay

Hi Qld aussie,

I forgot to mention the following-to some may be trivial, but yet interesting (especially with kids).

Another thing that does not get mentioned often, and that I admit was amazing to me on our first visit 9 years ago, is that Tassie experiences twilight in the summer months. We stayed at Bicheno, Bicheno on the Beach, motel and had the most fantastic Venison meal. After dinner we went to return to our room around 9.30pm and realised it was still light. So there we were walking along the beach till about 10.15pm then suddenly, darkness. My husband is a pom, so he thought it was teriffic. It reminded him of england when he was a smallboy.

If travelling the roads of Tassie at night, you have to be aware of animals. There is usually alot of road kill, mainly because if it has been dry (and it can be in summer in tassie), the animals come down to the road edge for eating. This causes problems with cars as they(the animals dart around). If one swerves to miss, obviously accidents happen. I believe the road from Bicheno to Coles is windy, But caution should be taken anywhere when driving anyway.

I admit that there can be a problem of road kill, but this can happen anywhere (certainly does in my rural area in Northern NSW), but just remember that there probably will be some twilight also. This is mostly experienced on the East Coast, so I believe.

What I am getting at, is that after a day exploring Coles bay etc, a return drive to Bicheno is not out of the question and it has beach and penguin rookeries also.

Just another bit of trivial info that may be helpful to people planning their trips.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 bedroom accommodation Coles Bay

there is accommodation in Coles Bay but can be hard to find on internet. We rolled up to coles Bay in Feb. & could not find any available accommodation, but one estate agent had a list of about 30 places to stay in Coles Bay that he handled & they were mostly private holiday homes (all were booked out), unfortunately I gave this sheet of paper to someone else & they have lost it. But if you go to a large Post office search thru Coles Bay real estate agents (cant be too many of them)or google yellow pages on net. There are also quite a few resorts type place - very pricey. Then there is the caravan park which looked pretty good to me (but was fully booked out for our night - large wedding group in town)- lots of log cabin style blocks. There are also lots of B&Bs there, they just dont seem to need to advertise thru the net. Coles Bay is a small town itself but certainly has lots of accommodation but some are hidden away. Your other alternative is Bicheno but its a pain having to drive 30-40 mins each way just to get to Coles Bay & national park.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
624 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 bedroom accommodation Coles Bay

Thanks for your help.

After your suggestions, Flossy52, I managed to get a booking with the Bicheno East Coast Park. They were able to offer a deluxe 2 bedroom cabin or a 2 bedroom unit. I took the cabin because the rooms have doors.

Stella 099 I would have preferred Coles Bay as it is closer to Freycinet NP but obviously it is a popular place, the cabin park there would not take a booking of less than a week at this stage, I can't afford to take the chance on not booking somewhere at this time of year if we want 2 bedroom.

Thanks for the tips on twilight, that will be good with visiting the National Park and driving back to our cabin.

I thought I saw on a web site about penguins. Do they have penguin sightings here?

I was actually going to book a Penguin Tour at Low Head when we stay at Launceston.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 bedroom accommodation Coles Bay

I don't know what it's like as we stayed at Coles Bay and ended up deciding to relax with a leisurely meal in the evening (followed by some unexpected possum watching) but this is the website for the Bicheno penguins.

www.bichenopenguintours.com.au/bpt_main.html

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
624 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 bedroom accommodation Coles Bay

Thanks MacKnee. I'll have a look.

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 bedroom accommodation Coles Bay

Glad to hear that you found something hopefully to your liking. I believe the penguin tour is very informative, and that you have to be very patient. This is because you go and sit down where they come out of the water, and you could be waiting awhile, but certainly worth it in the long run.

If you just want to see them yourselves, I believe that you can just go down along the shore in certain areas and see them for yoursselves. The locals will be able to tell you where. But for the kids, I guess the informative tour would be better.

Cheers

8. Re: 2 bedroom accommodation Coles Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 01:19