We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trowunna or Zoo Doo ?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
624 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Trowunna or Zoo Doo ?

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on which wildlife park to visit? I don't think it is necessary to see both. We have kids aged 7 & 8.

We are in Launceston area for 5 days.

One of the days was allocated as follows:

Marakoopa Cave, King Solomon Cave

Trowunna Wildlife Park, Stephens Leatherwood Honey Factory, Devils Gullet State Reserve

To visit Zoo Doo we would have to drive there from Bicheno Bay on our 2nd last day and then drive to Launceston where our accommodation is for 2 nights. According to Google it would be 2 hrs to Richmond and then 2.5 hours up to Launceston. Not sure if this is worth it???

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trowunna or Zoo Doo ?

As you'll be in the area I suggest you visit Trowunna. We got the impression Trowunna Wildlife Park was more a reserve and research centre rather than a tourist attraction. Make sure you arrive in time for a guided tour as it was most interesting and we even got to nurse a wombat.

Hobart
Level Contributor
461 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trowunna or Zoo Doo ?

Hi

I would definitely give Zoo Doo a miss.

I have never been there to be fair - but thats way too much driving for this attraction. Especially as the kids are not likely to enjoy the drive.

There are some kid orientated farms in the Launceston Area - Dr Harrys Hobby Farm is one of them.

I'll have a look and see what I can suggest :)

Hobart
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trowunna or Zoo Doo ?

Skip Zoo Doo, but don't miss the (free) monkeys in Launceston City Park.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
624 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trowunna or Zoo Doo ?

I'm glad you said give the Zoo Doo a miss. It sounded like it might be ok, but thought the drive was not worth the visit.

So do you still think it is worth visiting Trowunna?

We are thinking of going to Seahorse World.

We saw the monkeys at the park last time and walked around the park. Kids liked it here so will probably go again the day after we arrive and look around the city a little - something fairly easy going as we fly in fairly late.

Natt - I'll wait to hear more from you hopefully with some suggestions around the Launceston area.

Where is the hobby farm?

We have 5 nights here and we do hope to meet up with a long time email friend at Punchbowl Reserve on one of the days.

Can you tell me what these markets are like and what they have at them?

We like to visit Sunday markets for a browse.

Cypress St Market

York Town Square Market ??

Launceston Esk Market

Evandale Market

Penguin Market, (too far away ??) Don Village Market

Thanks again

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trowunna or Zoo Doo ?

Trowunna definitely is worth a visit expecially if you get there in time for a guided tour.

Hobart
Level Contributor
461 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trowunna or Zoo Doo ?

Hiya

here is some links for you:

Tamar Island Wetlands Conservation Area - nice little walk & cheap!

…tas.gov.au/reserves/tamar/index.html

Dr Harry's Farm - have not gone & there may not be tours so check (he is having health issues):

http://www.drharrysfarm.com.au/

Launceston Lakes - not sure about this one as its $40 for a family. I have never gone. I would be e-mailing them and asking them to justify the cost

http://www.launcestonlakes.com/

Grindelwald - this can get expensive and from memory your best bet is to have a snack/meal there as you will get a discount on things like the bouncing pillows

http://www.tamarvalleyresort.com.au/index.php

Basin Chairlift (Trevallyn) - I would take food as it gets expensive

Kids Paradise & Tailrace Park (orientering)- 1.6MB download

http://www.kidsparadise.net.au

orienteering.asn.au/gfolder/Development_Reso…

Phenomena Factory (museum) - planetarium is closed

http://www.qvmag.tas.gov.au/phenomena.html

Hollybank Forest:

forestrytas.com.au/visiting/…hollybank-forest

Hope thats enough to get you started :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
624 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trowunna or Zoo Doo ?

Hey Natt

That's fantastic, thanks for all your efforts. I have tried to research but haven't heard of most them.

I appreciate your help.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
305 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trowunna or Zoo Doo ?

Hi,

We went to zoo doo and really loved it. Despite alot of bad reports from locals. We also went to Trowunna and enjoy that. But they are totally different types of places. Trowunna is a wildlife park, focusing on conservation. Zoo doo is purely for entertainment. You go around in a small bus feeding animals such as camels and ostriches who poke their heads through the window. They also have the miniture pony races which are also alot of fun and they have the petting zoo. If you are in the area, you like animals and have a good sense of ridiculas humour, it is a good few hours entertainment.

We also went to sea horse world and found it interesting, but not worth the entrance fee for what you got, in our opinion

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
624 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trowunna or Zoo Doo ?

Thanks for the report. I'm not sure about the Trowunna Park, kids are a bit young for being interested in conservation stuff.

We were thinking of going to Seahorse World with friends over there....will wait and see on that one.

10. Re: Trowunna or Zoo Doo ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 16:20