We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One month in Tas - Itinerary needed

West Aust
11 posts
Save Topic
One month in Tas - Itinerary needed

Hi all

We have finally found the money and time to visit Tas in Jan next year and we are loooking for an itinerary and accomodation to last us the month. Because we are going for the month, we'd prefer to stay in self contained/cottagy/farm stay types of accomodation and would ideally like to stay in the same place 3-4 nights per stop. Two adults and two well behaved kids aged 10 and 11. Max price per night $140 avg.

any ideas?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One month in Tas - Itinerary needed

Hi. I see you started this process a couple of years ago, though for a shorter length of time. I would suggest you have a look at the links given, and maybe get some brochures as was suggested, and have a look at some trip reports. These are just some of the great ones I remember.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g255096-i887-k22…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g255096-i887-k15…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g255096-i887-k18…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g255096-i887-k21…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g255096-i887-k18…

Maybe you could post a tentative itinerary to give us an idea of what sort of holiday you are hoping for, and then we could help you refine the details. One thing I will mention is that you can no longer do tours of Cadbury's. You can still visit and do some shopping.

www.cadbury.com.au/sites/cadbury/index.php…

West Aust
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One month in Tas - Itinerary needed

yes we did start this process before and ended up travelling closer to home until we had the time to dedicate to a longer trip. We basically just want a bit of advice not so much about specific activities but the suggested towns/locations that we could be based in as a centre for touring around. We figured that we would start in Hobart, then go across to strathgordon, over to the west coast, up through cradle mountain and across to the east coast and down to hobart again. Once we have the suggested towns that are centralised points then we will start looking for accomodation and then activities around the area. As I said, we would like to enjoy a 3-4 day break in each location and not have to rush through...thats what we have been saving 2 years to do, not have to rush and save money!

activities we enjoy are walking, animals, working farms. We are still undecided about boat trips, depending on the length of time.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One month in Tas - Itinerary needed

A whole month is a wonderful length of time to see Tassie. This website may help you decide which areas to base yourselves: www.discovertasmania.com

Through that site you could request a map and booklet of sights to see as well as a booklet of walks you could take throughout Tas.

One place I can highly recommend in Mole Creek is Blackwood Park Cottages - www.blackwoodparkcottages.com.au. (Check out the reviews on TA) From there you could visit the Trowunna Wildlife Reserve, the Great Western Tiers area to enjoy walks, waterfalls, caves etc., Sheffield murals, Ashgrove Cheese factory, Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm etc. etc.

Enjoy the planning!

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One month in Tas - Itinerary needed

Wow a month in tassie. how wonderful. Hubby & I recently had 12 days -Our third trip (returned a few weeks ago). If you are inclined you could go back and read my daily reports.

We mostly stayed in "Cosy Cabins" or other tourist park accomm. Great cabins everywhere we stayed and very comfortable with everything supplied from shampoo and hairdryers, to comfy beds and warm doonahs.

Anyway with regards to "Budget" accomm you could check out and obtain copies of "Caravan & Holiday Park Guide to Tasmania" from www.caravantasmania.co.au or www.discovertasmania.com. My copy is 2005/06 so hope it is still available. Another site to check out is www.jasons.com- they have lots of free booklets ( for the world over) but their Tasmania -accommodation Directory 2008 is a great sourse also.

We stayed Cosy Cabins-Mornington- hobart. Central location but right near highway which was a little noisy. Dover Tourist Park was good base for down south. Actually stayed at Queenstown tourist park- Very basic gravel part, but cabin was cosy and cheap. 2 nights- Cosy Cabins- Cradle Mtn- (actually snowed while we were there-amazing). Out on East Coast we stayed at Triabunna tourist Park- Spectacular cabin here and only $77pn. Other overnight stays were at cottages or B&B units. As you are going in high season (jan) you have to book-especially at Cradle - no matter where you stay as it is very popular.

I haven't been out as far as Strathgordon, but believe it is interesting country out there. We are bush walkers and nature lovers, so mainly do activities long these lines.

Cheers for now - ask any questions if I can be of assistance.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
37 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One month in Tas - Itinerary needed

Hi

You will thoroughly enjoy your time in Tassie. (not that I am biased!). You should check out the NE of Tassie, too. We have some magnificent beaches, rivers, waterfalls and mountains. Good bushwalking -- including short easy walks. There is a themed trail - Trail of the Tin Dragon (you can view this on the web). Towns in this area are Scottsdale, Branxholm, Bridport, Derby-- all with accommodation in your price range.

Toowoomba
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: One month in Tas - Itinerary needed

One 'must see' is Bruny Island.(South of Hobart) If you go to

brunyisland.net.au/accommodation_index.html

It will give you accomm on the Island. We had a week at 970 Adventure Bay Road and although the quoted price may be a bit more than your average requirement we found that direct contact with the owner reduced it quite a bit. 4 adults and three kids had plenty of room. Check out the Eco Cruise down the East Coast of the Island - your kids would really appreciate it. Drive to the Lighthouse at the southern tip of the Island. Check out the penguins just after sundown at The Neck and climb the 1000 steps to the lookout there. If you are into walking you might also like to take a day cruise to Maria Island (North of Hobart). It was a penal settlement there before Port Arthur.

Enjoy the Island (we plan to revisit in February - we have a son at Scottsdale (N/E).

West Aust
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: One month in Tas - Itinerary needed

Thanks everyone for the posts, finally we have agreed on an itinerary of sorts

Richmond 2 nights - booked

Ross 1 night

Bicheno 2 nights

Binalong Bay 1 night

Launceston (or pref a small town near) 3 nights

Burnie 2 nights (or nearby)

Mole Creek 3 nights -

(hopefully blackwood pk - is staying in mole creek close enough to visit cradle mt without having to stay there?)

Strahan 3 nights (one night derwent bridge??)

New Norfolk 2 nights ( to see strathgordon/mt field)

Huon/Bruny 3 nights

2 nights around sorell or thereabouts

2 nights hobart

I think that I have all the suggested ideas covered! hows that sound? We are hoping to get some farmstay type places rather than stay in a location that is overly crowded.

We are also hoping to visit some fruit farms/honey farms and poss go and fish for trout (hubby!) if anyone has recs

thanks in anticipation

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One month in Tas - Itinerary needed

Your itinerary looks great to me. Mole Ck to Cradle Mt takes about 50 minutes. You could consider visiting Cradle Mt on the day you drive from Burnie to Mole Ck.

Make sure you visit the Sorell Fruit Farm. Yum! www.sorellfruitfarm.com

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One month in Tas - Itinerary needed

Agree itineray looks pretty good, depending on what you intend to see around each area.

Only query is with regards to stay at Sorrel, towards the end. Is this with the intention of heading to Tasman Peninsula? Considering you are doing Richmond in the beginning (which isn't very far from Sorell) to then go back to Sorell and then Hobart- they are all very close together.

On our recent trip when we left Hobart and headed south to Huon via Bruny Island ( day visit only) we took 5 days to get back to hobart to head towards New Norfolk, But we did go right to the bottom- Cockle creek.

Only other comment is not much around Derwent BRidge, except "Wall in the wilderness" worth a visit, and a stop at Tarraleah. But certainly a change of scenery perhaps, rather than extra night a Strahan, again depends on what you wish to do/see around Strahan. Being peak holiday time, accomm prices will be high, also.

cheers

West Aust
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: One month in Tas - Itinerary needed

Thanks for the suggestion Floss:

Perhaps then we should spend

3 nights in Huon (and make Bruny Is a day trip?)

3 nights on the Tas. Peninsular

and the last 3 nights in Hobart?

I think thats what you are suggesting? Is 3 days on the Tas peninsular too much? we wont see much of the coast near trianbunna/orford so we could split the time and spend a night there?

does that seem like we would get the area covered? We are most keen on seeing this part of Tas more so than any other and dont want to miss out on anything... :)