We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from Bicheno to Launceston

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
291 reviews
Save Topic
driving from Bicheno to Launceston

Thanks to everyone for the gas/petrol info.

I will be staying in Bicheno one night and making my way to Launceston the next.

I just ran the Tassie planner and it had be going south to meet the inland highway. Seemed to imply it would be under 2 hrs to Launceston. Other maps have said you follow the same highway north and had me into Launceston in 3 hrs

The question is if time is not as important as the scenery given which one should I take?

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from Bicheno to Launceston

Cactus, you have three options:

Drive south of Bicheno toward Swansea, turn right and follow the Lake Leake Rd to Campbelltown and the Midland Highway turning right to Launceston. The scenery is lovely up through the Lake Leake Rd. Travel time would be around 2 - 2.5 hrs

Drive north through the Elephant pass through the Fingal Valley to the Midland highway (10k north of Campbelltown) and then through the Launceston. Travel time about 2 - 2.5 hours

Drive north to St Helens and on to Scotsdale and through the Sidling to Launceston. Drive time would probably be around 3.5hrs.

My pick would be the trip to Swansea and the Lake Lake Leake Road to Campbelltown. You get very good views from the ridges above Swansea looking back toward the Hazards and the peninsula.

Hobart
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from Bicheno to Launceston

My choice for scenery would be up the coast to St Helens and Binalong Bay to experience the Bay of Fires area, number one in a list of top places to visit in 2009

timesonline.co.uk/tol/…article4919189.ece

Browse through posts by NE_Tassie for ideas on the route through Scottsdale - also very scenic and interesting.

www.tripadvisor.com/members-forums/NE_Tassie

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from Bicheno to Launceston

Hi Cactus,

I agree with both previous posts. It really depends on what type of scenery you prefer. On our last trip (3rd one) back in august, we came from Launceston to the east coast via campbelltown etc. Very scenic countryside, hills, sheep etc with only a few town stops along the way. The East coast way would have alot more to view, and even though I haven't yet done Bay of Fires during any of our trips,I believe it is spectacular scenery up in that NE cnr. There are cheese fatories etc along the way, and NW of St Helens you could go to St Columbia Falls (great to see) and pop in the Pub in the paddock along the way and have a drink with the resident pig, and enjoy a meal or quite relax. Certainly this route would be much longer and take all day, but you would experience some very lovely and good parts of Tassie. There is a hell of a lot to ssee in the NE.

Enjoy your trip. Just for the record during our trip we travelled 1917klms during the 12 days and spent $A265 on petrol.

cheers

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from Bicheno to Launceston

thanks again everyone

5. Re: driving from Bicheno to Launceston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 12:22