We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cradle Mountain & Coles Bay - Questions Galore!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cradle Mountain & Coles Bay - Questions Galore!

Hope people can help me. My partner & I are going to Tasmania this Friday for 4 nights & neither of us have been there before. We are flying to Launceston & have the first 2 nights booked at Cradle Mountain Lodge, then driving to Coles Bay for the next 2 nights at Edge of the Bay Resort.

Just have a few questions, to make sure we make the most of our time but also that we're not being overly ambitious.

1) Our flight gets into Launceston around 5pm on Friday - we're hoping we can get to Cradle Mountain (driving) before it gets dark. Well, the majority of the journey anyway. Does it take much longer than 2-2.5 hours? And what time is it light 'til down there at the moment? I'm guessing/hoping around 8pm?

2) Any suggestions for best walks to do on Saturday from the lodge are welcome! As are recommendations on the food options. A few reviews seem to indicate the Lodge restaurant is disappointing.

3) How cold is it really?? hard to get info on this particular area - only the cities.

3) On Sunday, we will be driving from CM Lodge to Coles Bay. How long should we realistically expect this to take? And what is the best route to take?

4) Any suggestions for nice places to stop along the way welcome - food/wine/scenery/etc.

5) Must-dos while at Freycinet ... planning a Wineglass Bay walk but there seem to be a few. We will have the whole of Monday there too.

6) Any suggestions for the best way to spend our final day? We will check out of Edge of the Bay in the morning, and our flight from Launceston isn't until around 8pm. Are there other places (maybe up the coast) we should try to get to, or is it advisable to just make our way to Launceston (around 2 hours?) and explore Launceston for the afternoon?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to finally seeing Tassie.

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cradle Mountain & Coles Bay - Questions Galore!

Well natters you have left your questions to the last moment, or is this a last minute/thought of trip.? At Cradle National Park, the Walk around dove lake will take about 3-2 hrs. Well worth it, you walk along board walks most of the way. From the Car park, find the path that takes you clockwise around the lake, and then you will be heading down the steeper sections towards the end of the walk, rahter than tiring yourself by walking upwards in the begining (just my opinion).

I have been to tassie three times, last trip back in august (obviously very cold, even snowed at Cradle.) With regards to weather, you truly can have four seasons in one day, depending where you are. Take clothes that can be layered, but definitely a warm jacket or similar (and possibley something waterproof). Wow, only four days. Our last one was 12 and we still have alot to see. I hope that you have already done some form of research on what sites to see, and have abit of an idea. Coles Bay is a long trip from Cradle, which way were you intending to travel there? Presuming you are going south from Cradle, then east towards Hobart, then onto Coles? Lots to see along the way, including waterfalls,nature walks, it will take you all day including stops for siteseing. For your last day, depending on whether you like viewing coastline or country and historical towns, you can either head north through Bicheno, St Mary's etc then NW to Launceston via Scottsdale OR head to Swansea, then head inland to Campbel town and onto Launceston for more siteseeing around there. Alot will also depend on what the weather is like. gather some brochures, and local monthly tourist mags from the airport on arival, these will help invaluably.

Hope this comments help a little. enjoy your short stay.

cheers

Hobart
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cradle Mountain & Coles Bay - Questions Galore!

At Freycinet you can walk up to the Wineglass Bay lookout, with options of continuing down to the beach and along to the other end.

Also visit Honeymoon Bay, Cape Tourville, Sleepy Bay and Friendly Beaches. Eat at Madge Malloys in Coles Bay.

Walk info www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=1315

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cradle Mountain & Coles Bay - Questions Galore!

Thanks both of you!

Flossy - yes, these questions were last minute, my apologies. I have done research - just thought I'd see if anyone who is actually from there or has been there can confirm what I thought/assumed. In case I was wildly off track.

Interesting you're suggesting going down towards Hobart to get from Cradle Mountain to Coles Bay. I had not planned on near Hobart at all - I assumed we'd head back towards Launceston & go from there. But that is why I asked people which way was fastest. Will look at the maps again, thanks for the suggestion.

I know 4 days is short - but hey, you take what you can get. And there's always next time. So many places to see in the world - if only work didn't get in the way!!

4. Re: Cradle Mountain & Coles Bay - Questions Galore!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 07:18