We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Input from the Tassie Fans - planning basic FAQ :)

Hobart
Level Contributor
461 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Input from the Tassie Fans - planning basic FAQ :)

Hi all

I am asking for some help :)

I seem to be getting less time on TA - and as its summer I am out and about myself

Which is where I need help. What should be included? Is there anything people would like to see.

I have noticed a few things too - do others think the same?

(a) some people are not searching the net before coming to TA - I think thats because they are not sure of where to start

(b) there are regular requests to give advice as to which hotel is better than another. As I see it, thats what the hotel comments are for. I am not sure about aardvark but I just don't have the $ to stay in all the places people mention :)

(c) there are a number of questions on the forum are just variations of the same thing

(d) reports back from people who have travelled in Tasmania are one of the best resources

Look forward to the comments, hopefully I will get a chance to start the writing this weekend.

Cheers

Natt

Hobart
Level Contributor
461 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Input from the Tassie Fans - planning basic FAQ :)

Darn .. i forgot

I often see some lovely posts in the Tasmanian forum (clear, great use of language etc).

If you have something like that - feel free to post it :)

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Input from the Tassie Fans - planning basic FAQ :)

Hello, Nat,

a. I think some travellers do not know where to start and definitely have not studied the subject vis - Tas. before coming to the forum.

b. It is probably more difficult for you to give advice on Tas accom, because you probably don't stay in them very often. You would have to rely on other peoples reviews. It is sooo helpfull when this is given by visitors. I have not had time to read the set aside reviews myself. I usually stay, and look, for the budget , or other chain motels. wotif is great, too. I have used that for Melbourne.

c. Everybody thinks they have a slightly different question which is theirs, personally. Even though they may have read other peoples queries and answers. Its a bit of a boor, but one must be polite. I sometimes refer them to the others answers.

d. Absolutely. Especially when you have gone to a great deal of trouble and time to give a person some info.

Can't remember what your postscript was without going off the page!

Cheers. Keep up the good work.

UK
Level Contributor
247 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Input from the Tassie Fans - planning basic FAQ :)

Hi Natt, I think that you have hit the nail on the head there with the 'time issue' it is easier and less time consuming simple to ask a question and then hopefully work on the responses.

Personally I am an avid reader of forums of places I intend to visit, I spend way too much time just reading and when something catches my eye I go searching for more information. This is how I planned our recent holiday, its how I found out about Port Arthur, Tahune, Steels Island ect.

I do post hotel reviews and I do read hotel reviews before I book but unless somewhere has extremely negative reports I would book with what I feel comfortable with as everyone has different opinions and regard different things as essental. A hotel we once stayed at and raved about was booked by our friends a few months later, they hated it!!

Just to hopefully amuse you here, when we arrived at Port Arthur I was totally amazed that it was not a town similar to say Hobart, I really did not realise that at all and I was shocked, happily as it turned out as we had a wonderful day, just goes to show tho that if I had maybe just asked the right question I might have known before we arrived. With hindsight I am glad I didnt know as it would have spoiled a lovely surprise.

Hope you have a wonderful summer in your amazing country, we loved it and hope against hope to one day go back.

Jane

Hobart
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Input from the Tassie Fans - planning basic FAQ :)

Hi Natt - here's a few topics that seem to come up frequently and may be worth including in FAQs:

weather

public transport

cadbury's tour

fruit picking

cruises

driving times

walks

must do's

It would also be good to have links to the best trip reports and itinerary posts.

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Input from the Tassie Fans - planning basic FAQ :)

Hi Natt,

Agree with you regards less time for Ta, especially during these summer months. I admit, that I haven't been near my computer for about 6 days.

a) I have noticed that the overseas enquieres don't seem to have done much research before TA enquiries.

b) Hotels- obviously $ is the big factor. Once again those visitors from verseas sem to have the $'s to spend. Whereas us locals, who holiday for a quick change of scenery seem to prefer the lower budget lone of accom.

c) totally agree

d) Feedback from both the locals and those (I guess like myself) who have travelled there obviously have a better hands on info and therefore perhaps a little more enlightening with regards to info shared.

Otherwise I back up ardvarks thoughts, especially weather (and where/how to obtain current uptodate info) & drivingtimes/distances.

Other topics that need to be mentioned and less obvious are with regards to National parks passes; and with car hire, that there are extra costs involved eg insurances, airport taxes (if car collected from airport) etc. Some people work on their budget from the price quoted just for daily car hire (eg $35 pday incl petrol unlimited kms etc).

Also, with more RV's & motorhomes, perhaps info on free overnight stopovers and animal friendly caravan parks etc.

Cheers

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Input from the Tassie Fans - planning basic FAQ :)

I must be wrong but I thought the TA forum was here to help people. I have been on an Italy Bali and Melbourne forum and I guess they are easier because more people read them.

The Tasmanian one is quite small but they must remember we have not seen Tas and haven't a clue where to start so please be patient with us.

Concerning Accommodation we just hope someone has stayed there.

We find out where to do the research through TA.

Cheers

Hobart
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Input from the Tassie Fans - planning basic FAQ :)

Hi harro,

We do like to help, so apologies if the tone of the thread seems otherwise - it's certainly not it's intention!

What I think Natt is suggesting is to make the Tasmania forum more user-friendly by utilising the 'Before You Go' 'Things To Do' type links on the left side.

This way, many of the more frequent questions can be easily researched by travellers, before posting their more specific questions on the forum.

Good questions such as your recent one on the Gordon River cruise prompt a lot of discussion, and become a really great resource for others.

cheers - ardvark

Hobart
Level Contributor
461 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Input from the Tassie Fans - planning basic FAQ :)

The Tassie forum is very small - but I like to think its a friendly one.

Its just my opinion, but when you say TA is here to help people thats not quite true.

TA is a resource. The people helping are fellow travellers. No dedicated staff that I have ever seen.

And those making contributions recieve no reward other than knowing that they have helped out a fellow "adventurer" and they no doubt hope they have made their holiday that little bit more special

So from my point of view I want to help make the most of the place, without having to cover the same ground.

Frees up time.

So umm .. I want to knock the idea that its someones "job", its not.

I see some great Tasmania contributions, and I can only help smile at those that answer. Its so great to see.

Hobart
Level Contributor
461 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Input from the Tassie Fans - planning basic FAQ :)

Hope that did not sound too cranky :(

Arggh the written word

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Input from the Tassie Fans - planning basic FAQ :)

Natt I understand now what you are trying to do and I realize that there are no staff and its up to the travellers. Its great that we can all help each other, only until we have been to Tassie I am not much help.

Before going to Italy last year I found out so much it was such a help we picked great hotels even down to buying the best gelati.

Help where I can on the Bali forum.

I find most people on all forums to be very helpful just now and again you get a snide remark thrown in but thats life.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers harro