We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

13 Days in Tasmania

Western Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
13 Days in Tasmania

My husband and I are flying to Tasmania Mid Feb 2009, we are thinking of hiring a car and just wandering around would really appreciate any advice on must see places and things to do. whether we need a big car or should we just hire a cheap little car. What will the weather be like as well.

Would love to hear from other travellers who have done this. We are intending to just book accom when we end our day, will that be a problem on Mid Feb? sorry for all the questions but this site is great used it for our family holiday to Phuket and my sons travells to Canada. You can't beat the voice of experience.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 13 Days in Tasmania

Hi. If you do a search you'll find there have been a few threads about Tasmanian must sees, top 5's, top tens. If you'd like to provide us with more information you'll probably get some answers tailored to your particular interests. Since you've chosen Tasmania I assume scenery is part of the attraction. Would you like to see the most accessible sights or are you up for some hiking or are you into serious all-day hiking? Maybe something adventurous, scenic flight, boat trip, flying fox? What about history? Food and wine? Animals? Gardens?

My first thought with cars is, is there enough room in the boot for luggage? If you'll be making stops between accommodation it's probably a good idea to get a vehicle with a boot big enough for all your luggage so you don't need to leave anything visible on the back seat.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 13 Days in Tasmania

Hi Ainsley, welcome to the forum.

We are also planning 14 days to Tasmania (febr. 12-26) and have received tons of great info by the forummembers and after reading LP for Tasmania and checking this great www.discovertasmania.com site we came up with the following:

Day 1: Arrive Hobart, drive to Tasman Peninsula. Stay Eaglehawk Nest. Stay 3 nights

2.Drive to Bicheno. Visit Freycinet and around stay 3 nights in Bicheno. Another option is to stay in Coles Bay.

3. Drive from Bicheno via Scottsdale to Launceston. Cataract Gorge stay Launceston. Stay 1 night

4. Launceston-Mole Creek-Sheffield-Cradle Valley. Stay 2 nights. Not set in stone though.

5. Cradle Valley-Rosebery-Strahan-Queenstown-Derwent Bridge Long driving and sightsseeing day. Maybe we stay anywere else like in Strahan or Queenstown

6. Derwent Bridge-Maydena. Stay 2 nights. Styx valley, Mount Field NP, Lake Gordon.

7. Maydena-Huonville-Geeveston. Tahuna Airwalk

8. Drive to Hobart and stay last 2 days.

We've made reservations for Eaglehawk Neck and Bicheno. We will wing it the rest of our trip.

The reason for staying 2x3 nights at the east coast are the beaches and the ocean, coming from a country in mid winter. But re your lovely Perth beaches like Scarborough and Cottesloe, this prob. won't be of interest to you so 2x2 nights maybe a better idea for you.

We are renting a Toyota Camry for the whole periode because I know it has sufficient bootspace (same as a Ford Fairlane, a car we rented before in Australia). And we like a comfy car on our travels. Our visit to Tasmania is part of a much longer trip. We'll be renting a SUV for the rest of our trip but we have been told you don't need a SUV in Tasmania.

I'm sure the experts will chime in but this already may be of some help.

Happy planning

Tet

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 13 Days in Tasmania

Eaglehawk Nest must be Eaglehawk Neck of course. Sorry.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 13 Days in Tasmania

Thanks for the replies, have started looking through previous threads.

In answer to your question we are definately interested in scenery and the history.

We would like some trekking probably not all day but we are not frightenend of walking for a few hours in fact my husband would love that.

I am certainly hoping to get maybe a garden or two in and certainly some museums and art galleries. We also are interested in scenic flights and perhaps something a bit more adventurous like a flying fox. Keen to have a go.

We will also be interested in Wine and Food, we are thinking of staying at B & B's so we can also get to meet the local people.

thanks for giving us a glimpse of your intended intinary. I have looked at the recoomended websites and have also order brochures. Cant wait 2 months and counting.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 13 Days in Tasmania

Hi Ainsley, You may find my October 2007 Trip Report useful. From that you'll notice we stayed in a few B & Bs and have posted reviews on TA but we did book in advance (like way in advance) because we like to research where we are staying and not just take pot luck on the day and spend valuable time searching. Enjoy Tassie!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255096-i887-k1548…

chardy77
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 13 Days in Tasmania

Hi, My husband ans I visited tassie in April 2008 and loved it so much we plan to go again in 2009. We loved Port Arthur and surrounding area and you should really take the time to do the Ghost Tour in Port Arthur it was fantastic even if like us you dont believe! Also while you are in the Hobart area take the time to do part of the Huon Trail. If you like nature and walking, the Tuhane Airwalk is a must and there are some great wineries and cheese botiques to stop and see. Personally I think condsidering the time we spent travelling its best to hire a reasonable size car. We had a Nissan Xtrail and it was great. Hiring through budget, when we booked this cost the same as a mid sized sedan like a elantra etc. Personally with regard to accom even though we prebooked our accom when we went I wouldnt bother to do that again. I would just book the first night and then just book as I went, as there are so many places to stay. You can never tell just what there is to do in one area and all the visitor info centres are well equipped to help out. There are plently of them and all the staff are very helpful. Enjoy your trip I'm sure you'll love it...

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 13 Days in Tasmania

Flying fox at Tahune walk, awesome slide at Dismal Swamp, Adventure cruise from Bruny Island. train ride at Ada Bay. A TV travel show- actually it was Australian Geographic, took the commentator flying over the Gordon River and Lake Pedder. Possibly took off from Hobart or maybe Queenstown.

History - Strahan( on the cruise), Hobart, Port Arthur. everywhere.

Gallery at Burnie - paper sculpture! amazing mural inside the info centre, Deloraine ( good coffee opposite); Sheffield wall murals all around town.

Gardens = Botanic Garden in Hobart, ; another well known south of Launceston(can't remember name. But find a 'Visit Tasmania' brochure which lists open gardens for different areas and dates. South of stanley - wood craft. and not forgetting the one man show at/east of Derwent Bridge - truly a work of art in wood. The leather coat was wood.unforgetable.

Better to stay at Strahan than Queenstown imo.

Queenstown has quite a good museum of the old bad days. There is a tour which takes in the old railway and an old mining? timber milling area in the wilderness. I don't mean the Rail from Queenstown to Strahan. Different.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 13 Days in Tasmania

Well, A Happy New year to you all of course.

About bookings. Chardy went in april but in februari I would book, esp. Cradle Mountain. I spent hours checking hotels for our visit in febr. this year but places fill up quickly. We also wanted to wing it but on second thoughts, we prebooked several places.

And GB, congrats on you un coming 1K!

Tet

Sydney, NSW...
Level Contributor
11 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 13 Days in Tasmania

We're going to Tasmania in March. We're driving down from Sydney and will be staying at the following:

- 1 night at Devonport (Spirit of Tas gets in at 6PM)

- 2 nights at Strahan

- 3 nights in Hobart

- 3 night in Bicheno

- 1 night in Launceston

- 2 night in Cradle Valley

- 1 night in Devonport (Spirit of Tas leaves at 7AM)

We plan to do the West Coast Wilderness railway in Strahan; Port Arthur; Tahune Airwalk; Cataract Gorge and a few short walks here and there.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
768 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 13 Days in Tasmania

Had a five week holiday in Tassie December / January five years ago, and have been back each December since (until last year).

The only accommodation we have ever pre-booked has been in Hobart for the Christmas / New Year week. Never had any trouble just winging it evrywhere else each night.

Some of our favourite spots (not in any order):

Port Arthur (if visiting the area it's well worth allowing a couple of hours to go visit the ruins at the Coal Mine Historical area)

Stanley.

Burnie - watch the penguins come into shore for free from the boardwalk in the middle of town, and watch wild platypus in the river just five minutes drive from the centre of town.

Gordon River Cruise from Strahan (though we've never really liked the town itself)

Take a scenic flight over the south west from Strahan.

Cradle Mountain / Dove Lake walk.

The waterfalls and the accommodation at Lemonthyne Lodge.

Mount Field National Park.

Zeehan Museum.

Ross - beautiful historical town and great scallop pies and seafood pasties at the old bakery.

Lillydale Falls

Hobart - Mt Wellington for views and walks.