We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter in Tassie

singapore
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Easter in Tassie

hi

Our trip to tassie will stretch through to the Easter weekend and we specifically would like to catch salamanca market on saturday,April 11th. Just wondering if it will be business as usual in hobart over Easter?

Also would it be worth visiting the fruit farms in this period? We are hoping to do some fruit-picking as we are travelling with a truck load of kids and they would be thrilled. Any fruits that may still be in season?

thanks

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter in Tassie

Definitely business as usual at Easter for Salamanca and anywhere 'touristy'. Maybe some shops that normally open Saturday mornings in the city might not, but they 'll be the non visitor type places.

Easter is quite a busy time in Hobart - are you prebooking accommodation.

Re the fruit - not too sure, but if your travels include the East coast, be sure to find Kate's Berry farm just outside (south) Swansea - there wont be any fruit picking for the kids but they 'll love the ice creams made from farm grown fruit.

Closer to Hobart there is a fruit farm at Sorell - thats on the route to Hobart from both East Coast and Port Arthur - it'd just be chance if they have any fruit for picking in April, but they do offer pick your own fruit/veges in season.

singapore
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter in Tassie

hi dev

thanks so much for your reply. It has put my mind at ease. yes, we will be booking accomodation as soon as we firm up our departure dates. thanks for the warning.

as for the fruit farms, we'll prob drive by kate and/or sorell (schedule permitting) to try our luck anyway :)

one more thing; tentative plans now are to arrive in lonny ( 1-2D), then to cradle mountain(1-2D) and lastly to hobart, from which we will depart. After CM, we are hoping to catch some part of the east coast - coles/freycinet.. I've read of people looping back to lonny from CM, then down the east coast or down to hobart from CM and then up the east coast again. I can't really decide which is a better route for us, keeping in mind that we have kids ranging from infancy to 12 years old with us.

we have about 7-8days to play with from lonny to departing hobart and are interested in kid-friendly activities, nature, photography and FOOD :)

Please help to suggest a scenic route with interesting stops for the kids and if necessary, a base for the night.. if it's too long a drive from CM to the east.

thanks once again

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter in Tassie

We spent last March in Tassie-Easter was early and we were in Hobart at Easter-the markets were definitely open.As was everything else in Hobart.

As to the fruit there was the last of the cherries in March.The raspberries were slowing down.Apples though will be virtually in full production.

australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter in Tassie

In Launceston - City park for monkeys in park, Cataract Gorge - kids love the suspension bridge on walk at top of park (Gorge is parkland with walk up one side and gardens on other). Check out accommodation at Windmill Penny Royal for easy access to Gorge and riverside walks -

CM - East Coast.

Those who go CM - Hobart via west coast do it to see Strahan and Gordon River - need a day for that and maybe too logn for young children.

I'd back track toward L'ton, and head south on Midland Highway, and at Conara head for St Marys, and then south down the coast. The other alernative is a longer route through L'ton and the very NE hitting the coast further north ....Quite scenic but thinking both time you have available, and legnth of drive for kids might make that a 'too long' option.

Before heading to the coast you could go south (on Midland H) to Campbell Town and (especially) Ross. Very historic town (old building/bridge) with nice leafy main street and nice bakery.

I missed a earlier bit too.....between CM and L'ton see Sheffield - murals on many buildings.....and I think there is a wildlife park near Mole Creek.

Back on the coast route ....Between St Marys and the coast is Elephant Pass - steep drop both sides of the road, is sort of spectacular. Safe but a few people who dont like heights might avoid it. Approaching Bicheno is another wildlife park, and also a sea Life centre in town.

Freycinet is definitely a scenic attraction. Apart from in Bicheno not a lot of child interest things on the coast - though plenty of beach opportunity, especially once you get south of Freycinet...(Swansea/Orford area).

australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter in Tassie

You asked about a overnight stop CM- East Caost. The logical would be Campbell Town or Ross, but both are day time places.......if you can make it to coast in one (long) day i would.

Maybe someone else will suggest otherwise, Depends how quickly you leave CM area and if you see the towns in bwyeen there and L'ton prior to getting to CM or plan to slowly do it coming back out from CM.

Looking at a map you will see there is also a road from Campbell Town to east coast (via Lake Leake) hitting the coast further south - might be a shorter option, even if you go north as far as Bicheno when get to the coast. It is a much lesser used rote and I am unsure how well maintained, though cant imagine it to be terrible.

singapore
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter in Tassie

thanks drron.

dev, that's a lot of very useful information.. thanks for the lifeline, you've saved me from a massive headache :) will look at the map again and read up on your suggestions.. cheers, angela

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter in Tassie

Hi, I just thought I would give you a few suggestions of things to see in Tassie, with kids. Obviously these will depend on what routes you end up taking. There is the Playpus house in Beauty Point, suburb of Hobart. www.platypushouse.com.au

The Honey Farm, Chudleigh near Mole Creek ( on way from CM To Launceston ) near the caves. www.honeyfarm.com.au

Tasmazia & village of loweer crackpot. This is near Sheffield ( town of 40+ murals). www.tasmazia.com.au.

There is seahorse musuem I believe, north of Launceston. I have been there.

At Bicheno on the East Coaast, you can view Fairy Penguins coming home from the ocean of an evening. There is a tour which gives you all the histry and life of penguins, or if you ask the locals you can go and see them for yourselves if you know where to go. check out www.bichenopenguintours.com.au. april is a quieter month with regards to no. of penguins that come in, but you can be luck.

I agree with dev's suggestions, having travelled to Tassie on 3 occasions, there is a lot to see in any direction and between going from A to B. Another site to check out if you haven't already, which is full of info, and brochures that you can download (including one on seasonal fruits available) is www.discovertasmania.com.au. Hope these few suggestions help in your planning.

Cheers

australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easter in Tassie

I think in a previous post Beauty Point which is NOT a suburb of Hobart has been confused with Battery Point, a historic Hobart suburb....Both SeaHorseWorld and Platypus House are at Beauty Point, north of Launceston.....to visit both would take more than half a day, allowing for travel time.

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easter in Tassie

OOOOPs, my mistake. I admit that I haven't been to either, and was going from memory, which is obviously lagging. But hopefully web sites would have corrected my thoughts. Sorry about that Mamum, but as mentioned I was just giving you some ideas of places to visit with kids.

Thanks Dev for the correction, and add this into my memory bank for nextime.

Cheers

10. Re: Easter in Tassie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 11:19