We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Twelve Days july august - Hobart to where - have hire car

victoria point
3 posts
Save Topic
Twelve Days july august - Hobart to where - have hire car

Hi we have never been to Tassie,are in our fifties with no kids on board. Will arrive in tassie fri july 24 hire a car an stay for 12 nights.

We like the idea of staying in Hbart for a few days and going to the markets on sataday and we will go to port arthor for a day or more if required. But does any one have any ideas for us for the rest of our stay,,,, there seems so much but we know that being winter it may limit some of whats available to do.

We have not had a holiday away for 18 years and are not well travelled

We are not kyakers or long distance walkers

We have never seen snow and would like to see it

Like food and wine especially seafood

oh and did i mention we like wine and especially seafood

Love beatiful scenery

any ideas from you more traveled people would be appreciated

thankyou

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,694 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Twelve Days july august - Hobart to where - have hire car

You would have time to do a complete loop. This is just a vague suggestion.

Hobart

Huon Valley

Port Arthur

Freycinet Peninsula/Bicheno

St Helens/Binalong Bay

Launceston

Cradle Mountain

Stanley

Strahan

Hobart

There are some lovely short walks for people not into serious hiking. You might like to do a search in the Tasmania forum using the words "trip report". There have been some great reports. These are a couple of recent ones.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g255096-i887-k25…

victoria point
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Twelve Days july august - Hobart to where - have hire car

thanks for your reply , it has given us something to start on for our itinery as has other info in the forum

once again many thanks

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,694 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Twelve Days july august - Hobart to where - have hire car

Feel free to post a draft itinerary for comments if you like.

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Twelve Days july august - Hobart to where - have hire car

Hi treeman,

We too fit your age group. Have travelled to Tassie on three sep. occasions over past decade (12days, 7 then 12 again last August, 3rd +). Check out my history and read my report from trip last year. It may assist you, though we totally changed our itinerary upon arrival due to unexpected circumstances. Doing some extra searches on TA will give you heaps on info. Also check out www.discovertasmania.com.au. A mine of Info. Check out brochures- there is one you can view or download about 60 great short walks to do around tassie. You can also get them posted to you.

We had first two nights booked in Hobart at Cosy Cabins, then found our stays as we travelled around. No worries at that time of year. I had a list of possible accomm places with me and rang ahead to book if needed. The main one was Cosy cabins at Cradle. We stayed 2 nights, and were blessed with snow overnight. It was wonderful. The landscape transformation overnight was amazing. We quickly got dressed and headed to Dove Lake early and did the walk and got some amazing photo's before the snow started to melt. We just happened to be in the right place at the right time. But having said that, I kept an eye on the BOM site before departure(Bureau of meterology) to check out temps etc and road conditions and those affected by snow. Weather was certainly crisp and cool, but you dress with layers. Depending on your budget (we unfortunely go very low key) there are some great cruises to do eg Peppermint Bay (sth Hobart), Gordon river cruise (strahan) and also the West Coast Wilderness Rail trips ,strahan to Queenstown is amazing (though pricey). There is lots of other things to see down the Tasman Penninsula apart from Port arthur, I personnally love the Huon Valley region. Air walk, caves, Ide Bay train ( though it may not be operating that time of year), national parks, lots of fresh localproduce & seafood down that way.

Locals are always very friendly anywhere in tassie so do not be afraid to talk and ask questions. Sometimes you find out about hidden treasures, that are not mentioned in the usual touristy things.

Have fun planning, will assit wherever we can.

Cheers, for now

victoria point
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Twelve Days july august - Hobart to where - have hire car

thanx for your input flossy52 , we appreciate it,

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Twelve Days july august - Hobart to where - have hire car

Hi Treeman,

I agree with MacKnee. Do the round trip. You have plenty of time and there's lots to see and do. I'm 60 but quite fit and like walking so my personal preferences may not suit even though I'm also greatly enamoured of wine and seafood as well.

If you want a sensational view of snow on the central plateau just outside Mole Creek (on the route from Deloraine to Cradle Mt) is a lookout called Devil's Gullet. Easy drive and about a 5-10 min easy walk to the lookout itself. It can be incredibly windy and icy cold (or calm and sunny!) because you are actually on top of the central plateau looking directly at Cradle Mt (only about 20km as the crow flies) but worth it even for 5 mins - and some photos. Don't go if it's raining! Often snow on the ground as well but the road is usually clear.

If you are doing the west coast bear in mind that the road Cradle Mt to Queenstown can be treacherous in winter. Try to avoid driving early in the morning as it can be covered in 'black' ice. Lethally slippery. Usually OK by late morning but still icy in the shaded parts so take care. I've done it countless times in winter with due care and no problems. Same is true of other roads around Tas particularly around Mt Wellington in Hobart and on the Huon highway (I live way down the Huon valley) but most have flashing lights warning you of icy conditions and most are OK by late morning.

I agree with Flossy too that you should read other posts/travel reports especially those that indicate a similar timeframe in Tas. There will be masses of info.

Have fun!

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Twelve Days july august - Hobart to where - have hire car

Please make sure that you take the time to read the three trip advisor reports that MacKnee has suggested. They are inspirational, and have so much info on what others haver done in Tassie.Mmakes me want to go back and do what I still have missed out on.

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Twelve Days july august - Hobart to where - have hire car

And here's another Trip Report you may find helpful:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255096-i887-k1548…

9. Re: Twelve Days july august - Hobart to where - have hire car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 04:19