We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day tasmania

Singapore
4 posts
Save Topic
4 day tasmania

We are planning our honeymoon to Australia and will be flying in to Tasmania from Mel around mid May for 4 days before leaving for Sydney. We will arrive at hobart and depart from launceston. Given the number of days, please advice if I should do the east coast or the west coast during our stay. I will also love to visit farms of local produce. Please help to recommand. Thanks.

Narooma, Australia
Level Contributor
977 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day tasmania

Stick to the east coast - there is lots to see there.

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day tasmania

Hi, Knowing that May will be much cooler for you, (be prepared to wear layers of clothing), possibly the east coast would be preferable, with perhaps a small diverstion up the middle to see some of the historical towns.

Depending on your time of arrival and departure, and presuming that you are hiring a car, and collecting it at the airport

Try 1 night stay in Hobart- check out Hobart, Richmond and surrounds, then up east coast towards Bicheno (could do Tasman Penninsula (Port Arthur???) along the way)

then either continue up towards St Helens, then NW to Launceston

OR from Bicheno, double back a short distance and head west to Campbell town, quick visit back to Ross, then head up to Launceston.

Spend time around Launceston & surrounds before departing.

Check out www.discovertasmania.com.au, this is a mine of information. There is a brochure section, that will have lots listed. You can either download then and view them, order and get posted out. There is one on local produce etc that may help you with your interest in local product.

Hope this helps, just a little.

Cheers

Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 day tasmania

Hmm... so you think if i do the east coast, i will have some time for cradle mountain ?? Perhaps a night stay ? 4 days seems tight so I doubt there will be any time for cradle mountain. Not sure if I should do cradle mountain at all. Thought it's one of the must do item in Tasmania but it seems like I wont have any time for it.

Will certainly check out the website for more information. Thanks all...

Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 day tasmania

BTW, any good place to recommand for fresh good value oysters ??

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 day tasmania

HI, CM is an isolated National Park area, where you have to like walking/hiking, and cool weather. On my three trips to Tassie, I have been to Cradle twice, and not yet actually walked up Cradle. Usually misty and not worth going, because you can't see the view. You will require to purchase a National Parks pass ( either daily entry or a 2month visiting one approx $A56 if entering any N/parks). There are plenty of boarded walks to do, and the most popular, which is the main tourist photo seen in Publicity about tassie, is at Dove lake. Depending on your number of stops for photo's etc this can take 1-2 hours.

If you really want to do Cradle, then your trip would be western side of tassie. Four days isn't very long, and you will want to enjoy yourself. Perhaps look at other places/activites available on western side, and see what you may prefer to do.

Cheers. Ps I admit I have't eaten oystr down there, so can not recommend.

duncraig
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 day tasmania

In Hobart have a look at Salamanca Place and walk thru Battery Point. With only 4 days stay on the east coast. Stop at Richmond for a look and head to Bicheno. Bicheno is beautiful. Overnite at Tidelines of Bicheno is recommended. Bicheno is a small seaside town and has a few cafes (good eating). Go via Elephant pass then to St Helens. Nearby is Bay of Fiers. From St Helens stop off at St Columbus falls, 15 min walk from carpark. There are many attractions along this road to Launceston. In Launceston make sure you visit Cataract gorge. Have a meal at the Metz in York St. Good value. Have fun.

Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 day tasmania

Wow ... thanks all for your recommandation ... think i will do the eastern side instead and give cradle a miss. Will take into consideration all the contributions and recommandations here ... thanks.

Hobart
Level Contributor
461 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 day tasmania

Cradle mountain is spectacular, but the advice you have been given is right

4 days is not enough - and in May its likely to be bad weather there anyhow

Make a point of going to Freycinet, which will give you some view/natural beauty :)

Hunter Valley, NSW
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 day tasmania

We did the exact same trip as you (except we had a few extra days) for our honeymoon back in 2004!

We found a lot of touristy things were closed in May like the lavender farms and the "foodie" places but heres what we did (and had an awesome time)

Arrived Hobart and walked around the city on Monday night, not a single soul about presumably due to the weather and the day of the week, but it wasnt scary at all.

Bay of Fires is a 3-4 hour drive from Hobart if you dont stop, but there are lots of nice places to stop along the way. When we were there it was unbelieveably windy and we couldnt get back in the car quick enough but the photos look beautiful!!

Next we went to the Launceston area, we skipped the city itself and went fishing for the day on the pier at Beauty Point. It was sooo romantic, the weather was lovely and there was a bait shop/petrol station about 500m from the pier where we bought hand lines and bait - there is a seahorse museum/hatchery on the pier as well - it was ok, but you wont miss much unless you love seahorses.

Having said all that though there is lots of touristy things to see and do in Launceston itself.

Coming back we went to a tassie devil park near Deloraine/Mole Creek. It was fantastic, and really cheap! I think $10 each and we got so close to the animals and there were no crowds - fantastic!

Second last day we went to Port Arthur, the night time ghost tour was by far the best part, just be careful of wildlife when you're driving there at night - there are lots of suicidal animals in Tasmania!

Last day we were in Hobart, Salamanca markets are only there on Saturdays i believe, but they are well worth it - very high quality market stalls with tasmanian woodcrafts etc... just check you can bring it home through customs!

Now i notice you're from Singapore, so your main concern is going to be the cold, especially in Hobart. Those antarctic winds howl through hobart and you may well freeze - just bring a really good jacket, because during the day it will be lovely and warm (but dry, not humid at all) and you will get down to just a single layer during the day but at night you'll want a warm windproof coat to go out for a walk.

Tasmania is lovely - have fun!

10. Re: 4 day tasmania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 08:17