We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hobart at 9pm?

australia
1 post
Save Topic
Hobart at 9pm?

I'm arriving at Hobart on a Tuesday night in April at about 8pm... I figure it will be close to 9pm by the time I get to the city.

Are there any cafes/restaurants that would still be open for dinner at that time near Hobart, North Hobart, Salamanca, Sandy Bay? Which of the suburbs should I try? I'd prefer a cafe or a restaurant to a pub/bar.

Also, any tips on what to do in the central Hobart location over a Wednesday/Thursday? (from morning till early afternoon) Any particularly good shops, cafes, little quirky bits of Hobart culture that I should try?

Thanks for your help!

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hobart at 9pm?

Hi Maddy,

Thought one of the locals may have responded to you query. Though I can't not help directly, you could do a search through this forum for some specfic topics, and see what comes up. Precious queries on similar subject may arise.

You could also check out ( f you have not already) www.discovertasmania.com.au This is a mine of info, with lots of links. May give you some leads. I am presuming that you may be on foot, or will you have a hire car? There is lots to do around hobart, museums, gardens, walks etc. I personnaly have only walked around the salamanca area, and there are some nice ( yet expensive) shops and cafe's down there ( it is by the water).

Hope this helps and that someone else adds more localised info.

Hope you are doing other parts of tassie also. I've been down there three times over the past 10years. You'll enjoy it. Cheers.

Hobart
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hobart at 9pm?

I agree with flossy that the Salamanca area, including Salamanca Square, has some interesting shops and good cafes, and it's probably the best chance for a decent meal on the Tuesday night.

For shopping with a bit a difference try:

- Criterian St

- The Bank Arcade

- Liverpool St, south of Murray St

- Elizabeth St, northwest of Liverpool St

- Store, near the crn of Murray and MacQuarie

Quirky bits:

- The Cat & Fiddle clock

- a tour of the underground rivulet

Good cafes:

Salamanca

- Machine

- Tricycle

- Retro

City

- Kafe Kara

- Zest

- Dev'Lish

I hope that helps!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hobart at 9pm?

Hi, along Salamanca terrace is Maldinis

http://www.salamanca.com.au/maldini/

Nice atmosphere, especially if you are on your own. Princess Mary eats there too!! :)

Food pleasant, nice italian atmosphere.

Lots of nice places up Elizabeth Street, but you'd need to get a taxi or drive there. I guess it depends where you are staying.

australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hobart at 9pm?

I don't think you will find too much open at 9pm on a Tuesday night especially now that daylight savings has finished and the weather is cooling down.

If you like good quality seafood visit Mures on the docks. They have a bistro style eatery downstairs where the food is reasonably priced and they also sell some good Tassie beers and wines. They also have an ice cream parlour. You can sit and watch them prepare the fish or oysters and if you are lucky you will see them unload one of their boats at the dock. I am not a fish lover but I love the fresh Blue Eye battered, it is so sweet.

Richmond is a short drive out of Hobart and I love to wander around this quaint village and visit the art gallery. I think it is called Saddlers Court.

If you are confined to the city then Salamanca, with or without its markets is also very interesting.

You could take a cab and go on a tour of the oldest brewery in Australia, Cascade Brewery in South Hobart, it is also very interesting.

Have fun!!

Fremont, CA
Level Contributor
436 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hobart at 9pm?

Just got back & second the motion for Maldinis. We also enjoyed Rockwall at the end of Salamanca Place next to Ball & Chain - a bit more upscale, with an unusual layout of long dark modern style bar in front opening to restaurant area, with an enclosed area with a couple of tables right up against the rock wall face.

Also had a good breakfast at Jackman & McRoss (?) on Hampden Road - good view from across the street, busy cafe with in/out seating.

Working on trip reports! We had a great time in Oz - thanks everyone, especially DE.

CBD does seem to close early, so Salamanca Place may be where the action is.

Hobart
Level Contributor
461 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hobart at 9pm?

If you do go to Salamanca be sure to try and score some gelato from cargo

their peppermint choc chip is divine!!

7. Re: Hobart at 9pm?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 12:33