We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Maytrip Part 2 (very long)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
212 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Our Maytrip Part 2 (very long)

Okay so we woke to snow,fantastic,it was so great to be able to wake Arran at daylight to see the snow falling. After breaky it was a mad rush of excitement to get dressed for outside play,the snow was deep enough to make a couple of snowmen and have snowball fights on the verandah. After packing we decided to play it safe and take the bus into the park for whatever we could do, it was still occasionally snowing and the ground was very wet from the rain earlier. We got off at Dove Lake ,catching glimpses of Cradle in the clouds.After beginning the walk to the boatshed we had to turn back as the track was under a foot of water and hubby did not have completely waterproof shoes(cold on the toes). We ended up almost halfway round before deciding that was probably enough considering the weather. It was different to view the Boatshed so often photograghed with water at least a third of the way up the walls. They had had alot of rain. It was quite amusing to be at the cafe afterwards lining up for a warming hot drink when some people at a table near us thanked us for making the snowmen back at the Highlanders cottage. They must have been watching us mad Queenslanders earlier that morning. Time to say goodbye to Cradle vowing to return in the future and spend a couple of days exploring its beauty. Next stop Zeehan for lunch,and a break. Exploring the West Coast Pioneers Museum was a hit for both hubby the engineer and my train loving son. It housed a fantastic collection of rocks and minerals, out of action locomotives kids can climb on,mining memorabelia,and an old courthouse/policestation to explore. As time was once again getting on we headed topwards Strahan and our beds at Kittys Place. Despite some of the reports I'd read re Kittys Place we thought it was comfortable, the takeaway over the road served good cheap food(massive burgers). After a very rewarding day we went to bed looking forward to what tomorow would bring...

Day 4.Six o'clock in the morning our boy woke us to say "Yeah today we go on the boat ride"...Maybe thats what we'd planned,sometimes our own plans are thwarted. Less than a minute after greeting us he was throwing up! My illness a few days earlier was contageous. Needless to say we didn't do the cruise that day,World Heritage Cruises kindly allowed us to move the trip to the next day. You can imagine what we did all day,just a note there does not seem to be a chemist in Strahan(at least I couldn't find it) thankfully I had taken suitable meds to help. While he slept I did manage to get out a bit and see a little of Strahan.

Day 5.World Heritage Cruise second attempt! We were very fortunate and had beautiful weather, the water really was like glass the whole day. As the day was so beautiful we were glad to have a window table which stayed clear all day.The scenery was breathtaking, food was great(It was really good to have a buffet of salads where the salads were not dripping in sauces)and commentary very knowledgeable. Arran was a bit quiet all day and didn't really want to walk on Sarah Island.It was also a bit of a challenge explaining that not all convicts were really bad people.

After arriving back to Strahan we had a drive ahead of us. We stopped at the petrol station hoping to top up before we left,alas they had no petrol left,we had half a tank and thought we'd find somewhere else on the way. Originally this day was supposed to have been heading up to Strathgordon,revised plans were to stop at Hamilton. Leaving as quickly as possible we drove through Queenstown,which was quite beautiful in its own way, with the afternoon sun highlighting the colours on the hills. This contrasted strikingly with the blue sky(great photos).Onward we went hoping to catch the Wall in The Wilderness before it shut at 5. We made it there at 5mins to 5. I raced to the door and asked if I could have a very quick look,for which I would willingly pay. The very short and rude answer I recieved was a blunt no explanation "No". We were very unimpressed by the lady there,needless to say I won't recommend them.Instead we headed back to Lake St Clair as it was almost sunset and hubby wanted tpo make it up to me. The Lake here was gorgeous, the water was still and glass like. It is the natural beauty I will remember Tassie for. Anyway after the sunset we continued on. Still no open petrol stations..Coming along a windy road down the hill,in the dark, hubby kindly informs me we may have another slight complication,the petrol light has come on...relief in sight the sign for Tarraleah says fuel available so we think we are alright.Instead of driving all over the town looking for the station I suggest we pull into the pub they will point us in the right direction.Not to be, the town no longer sells it. Thankfully we have top cover for roadside assistance,the nearest petrol was in New Norfolk 100kms away. Thankfully we were able to stop here at the pub have dinner in the warmth and await our petrol. It would have been horrible if we got stuck on the roadside in the cold. Be warned never assume petrol will be available easily. The guy at the pub did say we were not the first to be caught out. After a very long and eventful day we were so glad to arrive at Kellehers Cottage in Hamilton. This was an amazing convict built cottage,it still had the original stone floor in the kitchen very unevenly worn away since it was built in 1835. My hubby is 6'3 and had to bend to get through every doorway as they were built to convict hight. It was such a beautiful authentic, yet comfortable cottage to stay in.I feel quite honoured to have been allowed to sleep there. Anyway that ended a very eventful day,we slept very well that night..More to come...

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Maytrip Part 2 (very long)

Another informative interesting report. What a shame about the Wall in the Wilderness!. I would not have asked, just paid up and entered! It is really a great piece of woodworking.

But rudeness is not to be tolerated.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Maytrip Part 2 (very long)

Sorry about the illnesses and other hassles :-(

Brisbane
Level Contributor
212 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Maytrip Part 2 (very long)

HI Mcknee,actually we don't get too upset about things like that,it actually adds colour to a holiday(ok so maybe we could have done without illness,6 hours of a 5 year throwing up frequently is not nice).They say its difficulties that help you to remember things, I don't think I will ever forget the town of Terraleah(before that day I didn't even know it existed).At least although we had prepaid for the cruise they were willing to change our day. We were extremely blessed when it came to weather,snow at the right time beautiful still days,and there was a distinct lack of crowds wherever we went.We were totally enthralled by the natural beauty we saw there.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Maytrip Part 2 (very long)

So pleased that it snowed for you!

I agree, these things that happen on holiday just add to it, positive or not. All adds to the experience!

Looking forward to part III

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Maytrip Part 2 (very long)

Excuse the late reply, but I have just read your reports. Has the third one been done yet? Did I miss it? Our last trip (3rd actually) was august last year and we also had snow at Cradle, so it is interesting that you experienced it in May. We are hopefully planning our next trip back in Autumn, possibly next year, so the month of May, could be the right time to go. Sorry to hear that you missed "Wall in the wildeness", you will definitly have to go back. Glad you enjoyed the Zeehan museum. On each trip we have spent hours there. WOw, you were lucky with your petrol situation. Did you by any chance see the long haired cattle with long horns at Tarraleah ( I've temp forgotten what they are called). Sounds like you had en enjoyeble trip. Have enjoyed youor reports.

Cheers

6. Re: Our Maytrip Part 2 (very long)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2010, 06:17