We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Tasmania Itinerary in August 2009

gluttonchoo
4 posts
Save Topic
Help with Tasmania Itinerary in August 2009

Hi mates!

I am intending to visit Tasmania with my girlfriend from Melbourne as a short getaway for 4 days 3 nights. Due to my busy work schedule, I did not have much time to research on the itinerary. Any ideas how I can spend my time in Tasmania this coming August? If the road conditions are not dangerous, I would like to drive. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Tasmania Itinerary in August 2009

Hi there gluttonchoo and welcome to TA!

3 nights in Tasmania sounds like a great getaway. Have you already booked flights or the Spirit of Tasmania to get here? Where you are arriving in the state will depend on what area of the state we can give advice on. Also, what are your interests? Are you looking at doing some short walks in the wilderness or do you prefer galleries, museums etc? If you can provide some more information then we will be able to assist you better.

Also, do you require accommodation? If so, are you looking for something romantic, a B&B?

In terms of driving, the roads are generally not dangerous, but can be quite slippery/icy at this time of year first thing in the morning and of an evening in some areas. As long as you are aware of the road conditions and take precautions then you should be ok. You could either bring your own car over on the Spririt of Tasmania or rent a car from one of the airports. Having a car will give you more flexibility as to what you can see and where you can stay.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Cheers,

gluttonchoo
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Tasmania Itinerary in August 2009

Hey Redpanda! Thank you for your swift reply to my thread!

We should be going over to Tassie this early August, and we have not booked my air tickets though. We are still not sure whether we should fly to Launston or Hobart. That will depend on the places of interests that we would like to visit. Regarding car rentals, We would prefer to rent a car at Tassie itself.

Interests wise, we would prefer the nature, but not too rough an adventure though. Perhaps, a day trek that allows good sight seeing. I heard of freycinet or wine glass bay (I am not sure if I am right). Are they accessible and feasible to explore in winter August? To sum up, maybe the itinerary could include an exploration of the rustic charm of Tassie towns plus a drive to a natural park for a day trek there?

Accommodation wise, we would prefer to stay on the thrifty side. No need hotel or B&Bs, just a comfortable 2 person room will do.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your help!

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Tasmania Itinerary in August 2009

hi again

if you are interesting in visiting Freycinet National Park (Wineglass Bay is there), you are better off to fly into Hobart, as it is closer. It will be a full day trip from Hobart though due to the distance and the amount of things to see and do there. Even in August you should be able to enjoy what Freycinet has to offer. Check out their website for full details

www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=3363

You will need a Parks Pass to get into the park as well, these can be bought on the day from the visitors centre. The drive to Freycinet is quite nice, and there is plenty to see and do along the way. The town of Swansea is good to visit, as is Kates Berry Farm just south of the town.

As for a rental car, you can either pre-book on the internet or over the phone, or just get one from the airport when you arrive.

Richmond, north of Hobart, is a lovely old town that you should visit.

Since you will most likely have a car, a drive to the top of Mt Wellington is a must for spectacular views of the Hobart area (on a clear day of course!). There will most likely be snow this time of year! The road will be closed though if it is icy and dangerous.

As for somewhere to stay, the Fountainside gets consistently good reviews. Have a look at the ratings of hotels on Trip Advisor, also have a look at the Tasmanian tourism website for more info

www.discovertasmania.com.au

Cheers,

London, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Tasmania Itinerary in August 2009

hey mate

it depends what are you after

i did cradlle mountain, and drove there, roads are fine, just careful at night with animals...so many dead in the road

here is my account of it

…blogspot.com/2009/06/why-cant-i-take-on-kni…

gluttonchoo
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Tasmania Itinerary in August 2009

Woah, sounds great!

I am thinking of extending my stay in Tasmania to 5 Days 4 Nights! After reading through the threads in the forum, I am thinking of driving down from Launceston to Hobart along the east coast. Places I intending to stop along the way are St Helens to visit Bay of Fires, Coles Bay to visit Freycinet and Swansea, and finally to Port Arthur then to Hobart. Will this itinerary fit into 5 days?

Next, what time does the sky darken in Tasmania during winter? Will it still be safe drive after sunset, especially so for the winding roads of the east coasts? Normally, what time do people start heading for the roads in the morning?

I am currently considering to rent a car from rentnewcars.com.au as they offer me the lowest price. Anyone has a review or comment on this company?

I am thinking of renting Hyundai Getz 1.3L Manual Transmission. Will this car be powerful enough to run on the east coast of Tasmania? And, if there are Tassie drivers here, how much will it roughly cost for my drive from Launceston to Hobart along the east coasts?

Thank you very much mates! Really appreciate the help!

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Tasmania Itinerary in August 2009

5 nights should be ok to squeeze in all the sights along the east coast from Launceston and get to Hobart in time for your flight. You probably wont have much time left over to have a look around Hobart at the end, just to let you know.

In August, it gets dark around 5.30. You should be ok driving after dark, just remember to slow down and drive to the conditions. Wildlife are about at dawn and dusk, if you are aware of this you should be fine. Lots of Tasmanians own Hyundai Getz's, so it shouldnt be a problem on the roads here, and will be quite cost effective.

Never heard of that car rental company, hopefully someone else can provide feedback for you.

Cheers,

gluttonchoo
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Tasmania Itinerary in August 2009

Yup I just tried to plan my trip and realise I wouldn't have much time touring Hobart. It will just be a touch and go affair. Perhaps, I should reconsider such a ambitious itinerary.

Back to car rental, anyone heard of AAA car rental in Hobart? Any comments or reviews?

Thanks loads!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,602 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Tasmania Itinerary in August 2009

I agree with RedPanda. You've got the makings of a good, achievable trip in five days.

Take a look at the many threads on "cheapest available" car rentals. They're pretty consistent. It's a fact of life that you get what you pay for.

Fuel-wise, it won't cost much. Your trip is no more than 600 kilometres, and at about 8 litres per hundred kilometres and $1.25 per litre, it should cost no more than $60 for five days of fuel. Drive carefully and it'll cost leass,pecially in a small car.

The only part of your trip that I would be concerned about travelling at night is the 60 kilometres closest to Port Arthur on the way to Hobart. The rest is OK. However, if you drive at night, you miss the scenery and everything is closed!

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Tasmania Itinerary in August 2009

We took our third trip to Tassie last August for about 13 days. It was great. As you only have around 5 days it will be difficult to see all the wonderous things that it has to offer. But your idea to drive from Launceston to Hobart is fine. Please remember that the weather will most probably be quite chilly, though the east coast will be the warmest.

(We actually experienced snow at Dove Lake at Cradle, where we stayed 2 nights, and there was snow on Mt Wellington (Hobart). Be flexible with layering for clothing as winds can be very chilly. Beanie/hat & scarf should definitely be packed, and perhaps gloves.

Re hire car- we have always gone with a national- eg Hertz or Avis. Don't forget that apart from the car cost there are insuranes etc, and what they offer you for protection that adds to the cost. So be wary of what any company offers and understand the fine print of contract. We have always collected and delivered hire car back to the airport. Re accommodation- on our trip, we went with the flow, and just found somewhere to stay each night, depending on where our daily driving took us. Mostly stayed in Cabins at Caravan parks. They were exceptional inside re decor, layout, clean, comfortable and good price. (you could always read my trip reports from last year)

Cheers

10. Re: Help with Tasmania Itinerary in August 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2010, 05:17