We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To go or not to go?

oxfordshire
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
To go or not to go?

Hello! Can anyone give my husband and I some advice? We have a month's honeymoon planned in December and we are flying into Melbourne for a few days to see friends, we then have about two weeks and have booked flights to tasmania and Aukland. However,alot of people are saying not to bother going to tas and use the extra time to do some exploring on south island NZ. We are going to beach/relax/ sightseeing and are not into white knuckle adventure that NZ is renowned for.......any advice welcome. thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,142 posts
1,406 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To go or not to go?

Tasmania in December will be lovely, its slightly cooler than our other states which can be really hot. You don't want to be moving all the time when on holidays plus you lose time by flying to and fro from airports.

For Auckland click on the thread below for additional info which you may find helpful.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17750-Four_day…

Don't forget Australia has the best beaches in the world...

Cheers,

EM ☺

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To go or not to go?

Dohbum, Whoever is saying not to go to Tasmania hasn't been there themselves. It's a beautiful blend of Australia's intact convict-era history (Two thirds of Australia's listed 19th century architecture, for example), with our largest expanse of temperate wilderness forests.

The must-see sights include Port Arthur, Hobart docks and Salamanca, Strahan, Cradle Mountain and historic Launceston.

It is the place for self-indulgent enjoyment with superb B&Bs, fine fresh foods, excellent wines and great sites to see.

Do it; you won't regret it. As a start point, look at www.discovertasmania.com

Luigi

Sydney
Level Contributor
354 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: To go or not to go?

I would love to go to Tasmania it is on my wish list along with NZ. you have the time so enjoy both here some thing you could enjoy while there. go and enjoy

www.puretasmania.com.au/home.html…

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To go or not to go?

The Federal Hotels Group's puretasmania website mentioned by Frankie30 has some helpful ideas and locations, but you can probably find more variety and economy on the Tassie government websites or here on TA.

Luigi

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To go or not to go?

As you will be so close to Tassie, you would be sorry to have missed out on some spectacular sights IF you decide not to go. But after travelling half way around the world, you would enjoy the weather in Tassie compared to other states(as mentioned). The official Tassie tourism site is well worth looking at. It is full in info. www.discovertasmania.com.au.Honeymooning in Tassie would be wonderful. Quietly sitting on a verandah of a B&B somehwere, either looking over the coastline or into wilderness, sipping on a glass of wine, with a plate of local produce would be a wonderful unwinding time for both of you, after all the excitment of previous months. I am planning my fourth trip to tassie as there is lots to see. Read some of the TA reviews, and decide for yourself--YES, YES Tassie here we come?? If you have boked flights already, which airport and how l ong would you actually have in Tassie?

Cheers

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To go or not to go?

Congrats on your honeymoon and welcome to the forum. You have 1 month, you fly Melbourne, stay a "few"days with friends and have 2 weeks from there. Am I right? You still have time left....do you mean a few days in Melbourne, 1 week Tassie, 1 week NI and what to do for the rest of your time? Sorry, I don't understand. Maybe put your tentative schedule on the forum.

Tet

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
562 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To go or not to go?

I spent two weeks in Tasmania out of a ten week trip to Australia last autumn, and wondered before I arrived there whether I had overestimated how much time I should devote to such a (relatively) small part of the country. How glad I was that I had that much time to explore such a beautiful island - I think in retrospect it was my favourite part of the country - and not because parts of it bore a certain resemblance to parts of the countryside 'back home' - simply because it is scenically stunning, has some of the most historic small towns in Australia, has very 'accessible' wildlife, and is generally green, temperate and the pace of life generally is just that bit gentler. I would wholeheartedly recommend a few days there to anyone visiting Australia; it truly is very different to anywhere else you will visit.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To go or not to go?

We may sound a bit biased, but Tasmania truly is one of the best places in the world. I'm sure that you would have a fabulous honeymoon in the state, December is a great time to visit. There are many romantic resorts that you could stay at, or perhaps stay in one of the cities or larger towns. Whatever you choose and do, your honeymoon will be a memorable one!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To go or not to go?

As others have said, Tasmania is a wonderful honeymoon destination. Our favourite accommodation is Blackwood Park Cottages at Mole Creek.

www.blackwoodparkcottages.com

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g504310-d775404…

Also, it may help to read TA trip reports. This is a beauty:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255096-i887-k2546…

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To go or not to go?

Why not go to Sydney for some great beaches? Tasmania is beautiful with spectacular scenery and history but it can still be cool in December and if you are coming from a UK winter maybe you want some sun?

Regards

Suzi