We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring TAS with teens-what to do?

country nsw
4 posts
Save Topic
Touring TAS with teens-what to do?

I am planning a trip for the family. Hoping to go in July 2010. We would be travelling by car. The kids are 15 and 12.

Our trips are usually jump in the car and go, real spur of the moment. I would like to do an itinerary for a change.

We do alot of driving so distance isnt an issue nor is winding roads and trucks.

What things/sights are a must?

I am planning on a 10 day trip and staying in relatively cheap accomodation like park cabins.Wouldnt mind a few nights in flasher accomodation if someone can suggest somewhere exceptional.

I am really looking forward to it now I have put it in writing. Hope someone can help.Thanks.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring TAS with teens-what to do?

Hi there - I would do a modification of what you normally do, so in Tas pick a couple of bases from which you can do easy day trips. While Tassie 'looks' small, there is in fact a lot to do if you click it off in day trips rather than the big marathon car trip which teens usually hate.

If you are coming across on the ferry, then that is a great journey in itself 'coz there is nothing like it in the rest of Oz! When you get to Devonport you can do hub and spoke stuff from there. But if you fly into Launceston or Hobart then they become natural day-trip points.

Things to look up (for teens) are Cataract Gorge and Hollybank Treetops Adventure near LST, and Tahune AirWalk and Eagle Hang Gliding (cable) out of Hobart / for everyone Port Arthur, and on the East Coast the walks up around the Freycinet Peninsula. Over at the West Coast the heritage railway, and up north Cradle Mountain, the Nut and of course Dismal Swamp. Good casual food everywhere and some special places to eat too.

Half the enjoyment is the process you have started - the planning!!

Enjoy

Edited: 16 December 2009, 06:56
country nsw
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring TAS with teens-what to do?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I think that is a great idea, the hub/spoke thing. Our kids think a holiday is getting in the car and driving.They are excellent travellers but I think it will be a special trip to remember with planning.

I will look into those places you suggested. They sound exactly like the types of things we all like.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,602 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring TAS with teens-what to do?

RMRayan, Welcome to TA forums!

Take a look at the Top Question in the upper right of this page titled "I've got limited time. How much can I see?" It gives few examples of circular tours around the island. Ten days is long enough to do a full circle that touches all the edges of Tassie - you just need to tailor it to suit your interests.

I'm with gtasoz on the sort of things that teenagers might like. Hollybank near Launceston is not cheap, but would be great fun. The Tahune Airwalk in the Huon Valley south west of Hobart would also be a winner. I'd also recommend one of the fast RIB boat tours around Bruny Island or the Tasman Peninsula (take a look at the cruise options in the "One Day in Hobart" question on the Hobart forum page. Unfortunately, adventure activities are not cheap, but you should be able to save a bit with self-catering accommodation.

You won't have problems finding cabin-style accommodation. Take a look at Cosy Cabins as a start point. They've got cabins all over www.discoveryholidayparks.com.au/results.php…

The must sees are Hobart (especially on a Saturday for Salamanca Markets), Huon Valley, Port Arthur, Freycinet, Launceston, Cradle Mountain, Strahan. Add the highway features like Ross and Oatlands, Richmond and maybe the Western Explorer Road and you've got the makings of a great circle trip.

Are you flying in or coming on the ferry?

Hope this all helps,

Luigi,

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring TAS with teens-what to do?

Hi rmrayan, welcome to TA.

You will get some wonderful feedback from the reagulars and obviously not so regulars, like gtasoz. July will be very cool. So you need to allow for this also, just incase there may be snow somewhere. I am planning our fourth trip back, which willbe in April. Previous trips have been in Month of feb, and august last year. At this stage, take in any suggestions, so plenty of reaserch and make notes. Price activites and get an idea of budget. We have always stayed in cabins, and some of them are 4 star. Tassie has something different around every corner even though it is small. The landscape, and weather is so different everywhere. Food is delicious, though some of the more favourable ones won't be in season when you plan to travel. Further ideas of your families interests will also help make suggestions, and as already queried, how you are arriving and where you intend to start your trip. Cheers for now

country nsw
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring TAS with teens-what to do?

We will be going by ferry. Taking our own car. We love the cold (actually prefer it unless I am at the beach wanting a swim lol)

We like outdoorsy things, Scenery and adventure. I like antique shops and old buildings with history.

Our trip will be during the school holidays which is probably a mistake but I dont want the kids having too much time off school.

Thanks so much for the suggestions already.

If anyone has names of exceptional places they have stayed I would love to hear about them. Might have to start booking them if they are really popular.

July will be here before I know it.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
444 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Touring TAS with teens-what to do?

Hi Rmrayan

July won't be school holidays in Tassie so your timing is perfect.

Lani

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Touring TAS with teens-what to do?

You could visit the caves at Mole Creek:

www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=3530

While there, stay at beautiful Blackwood Park Cottages:

http://www.blackwoodparkcottages.com/

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,602 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Touring TAS with teens-what to do?

Probably the next step in the planning process is to work out what attractions you want to see and therefore the route you need to follow and the locations you need to stay. A map is helpful.

Then you could decide how many places lend themselves to the cabin-style accommodation and how many you want to spluge on.

I think you will get good suggestions on "splurge" accommodation once you know what places you want to stay.

Luigi

country nsw
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Touring TAS with teens-what to do?

I know I should look this up but I thought I would ask here.

What is the weather usually like in July. I dont mind cold at all but too much rain can ruin a holiday.

We went to Queensland a few years back and it rained for the whole fortnight , literally. It was sunny the day we arrived and that was it. We had to do theme parks in the rain.

Obviously its winter and it will rain but how much is normal?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,602 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Touring TAS with teens-what to do?

This site gives a useful synopsis and has a link to the BOM weather data as well: discovertasmania.com/about_tasmania/climate

The message is that it'll be very wet on tyhe west coast and less so on the east coast. Tasmania has generally wet winters. And it's cold! Bring suitable clothing.

Luigi