We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 3 days in November

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 3 days in November

Hi, I spent three days in southern Tasmania and got a lot of good information from this message board so I wanted to share my experience. I arrived in the Hobart in late November and rented a car. I would definitely recommend renting a car for Tasmania. Other people at the hostel took some tours but there's so much to see and do that having flexibility is key. I stayed at Narrara's which was a nice, quiet hostel. This isn't the place to go if you're trying to party, but I think more people are in Hobart for the sites than the night life. The owner, Mo, was very friendly and has done a great job with the place. It was clean, comfortable, and Mo does a great job making everyone feel like home. My first day out I drove to Port Arthur but made a stop at the Devil Conservation park on the way. I was looking forward to the devils, but I was very pleasantly surprised by what the park had to offer, especially if you show up before 10 am. There's not a huge abundance of animals but there were three areas with devils with feedings at 10 and 11 with some in the afternoon. They also had birds and a fairly large area with kangaroos and wallabies. By comparison, this was much better than the two other wildlife parks I had been to in Australia. After the 11 am devil feeding(which I am certainly happy I witnessed) is a small bird show. Nothing too spectacular but still some impressive animals and worth seeing if you're there. Port Arthur was also a good site and a good value as you get a tour and a cruise tour. Not much I can say here except for people should just experience it for themselves. After I went back i walked around and ate at the pier. The area was nice and seems like it gets busy when people get off work.

My second day I went to the Tahune Airwalk. Another beautiful day and the drive was awesome. There are plenty of walking routes in and around the airwalk area and they're all pretty good, especially if you get there early and beat the crowds. If you enjoy nature and are satisfied walking around and just listening to the water and animals, this is a good place. I have an extreme fear of heights and although it was a little trying at times, the views from all over the airwalk are well worth the effort. On the way back to Hobart I decided to stop at Mt. Wellington. Originally I hadn't planned this but I saw the sign and made a left. Another good decision. The drive up is excellent and not very difficult. Given more time I would have liked to stop at one of the lower stops and climbed to the top but I didn't know how long that would take so I drove it. The road goes all the way to the summit and when the clouds move out you can see Hobart and beyond. I think it was 5200 meters high and at the top they have a nice center to explain the history behind the building of the road. I think they did a good job with the whole thing.

On the last day I walked around for a bit to enjoy the scenery and then took a tour of the Cascade brewery. If you enjoy beer or are interested in the history of the brewery it's a good tour. I suggest you make reservations two days ahead as i called a day early and the 11 am tour was booked. Well worth the time and one of the better things to do in close proximity to the city.

Overall, I thought the areas I saw in Tasmania were fantastic and my time there was some of the most relaxing I had my whole trip. Coming from overseas and on a limited time table, I was hesitant about making the trip there but the people on this forum spoke very highly of it and it didn't let me down. Two things I would do differently next time: 1) I would rent a 4wd. I was by myself so it wasn't economically viable, but if I was sharing the costs it would have been more than worth it to drive through the mountains into some nice remote areas. 2) I would have bought some fresh fish from the boats at the pier and cooked it on my own at the hostel. I'm not the greatest cook so it probably would've served me better to buy a lot for everyone and have someone else cook it for me, but either way it would've been fantastic. I did get some seafood and it was good, but the fresh catch looked very good. I think I spent enough time in Hobart, but I believe a week or two to see all of Tasmania would have been perfect. I didn't have the option this time, but now I know, and I would love to spend a few weeks exploring this beautiful area. This might have been rambling notes but I hope it helps at least 1 person. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks again for everyone's help preparing my trip and enjoy the rest of your summer.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,589 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 3 days in November

A good trip report, jmille, and I think you picked the right things to see in your brief trip. Port Arthur, devils, Tahune, the brewery and Salamanca is the right mix for three days in Hobart.

It would be good if you had time to come back again to see more of the state.

Luigi

PS I think Mount Wellington is about 1270 metres. In Oz we can only dream of 5200 metre high mountains!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 3 days in November

Ha, my fault. I knew the sign said #,200, but I guess I overestimated that #. It was high, though, and pretty cool.

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 3 days in November

TThanks for the report jmille6. Obviously your TA research turned up trumps and you had an enjoyable few days. Hope you get the opportunity to return someday. Hubby & I are returning in late april for our 4th trip. This time we are taking two other first timer couples. Probably 12day trip, and hoping to enjoy some autumn colours whilst touring arouns and doing some of the wilderness walks.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,431 posts
1,569 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 3 days in November

Excellent Trip Report jmille and thanks for sharing.....I enjoyed reading it.

I agree 4WD's are always handy in Australia and we now use them ALL the time as there is nothing worse than wishing you could drive down that road and its not suitable for your hire car or you run a risk - so you don't.....

Ditto on the seafood too.....nothing better than fresh cooked fish brought from one of the fishing boats.

Merry Christmas !

EM.

5. Re: Trip Report 3 days in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2010, 05:17