We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 Days in June Revised

Mundaring, Western...
Level Contributor
55 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
9 Days in June Revised

I would appreciate any comments on our revised itinerary.

My husband has been to Tasmania twice before, this will be my first visit.

We are now planning to fly into Hobart on Thursday 3rd June.

(one day earlier)

Friday 4th June sales calls to clients plus a little sightseeing.

Saturday 5th June visit the Salamanca Market then travel to Strahan via Queenstown. Would we be better staying in Strahan or Queenstown?

Sunday 6th June West Coast Wilderness Railway and or River Cruise.

Monday 7th June Drive to Cradle Mountain

Tuesday 8th June Cradle Mountain (The Waldheim Alpine Spa, Tasmanian Devil Sanctuary, explore)

Wednesday 9th June Drive to Burnie (sales call) then Devonport (sales call) staying in Devonport

Thursday 10th June Devonport to George Town (sales call) then Mooney (sales call) then Launceston (sales call)

Friday11th June Launceston (sales call) explore

Saturday 12th June Drive to Hobart

Sunday 13th June Hobart to Perth.

We only have one client to visit in Burnie, Devonport, George Town and Mooney taking up aprox 1 hour each

I am wondering if we need to spend two nights in Strahan or just one and after the train ride go straight to Cradle Mountain or should we stop for night somewhere between Launceston and Hobart on the Saturday and then drive to Hobart to catch our late flight home. Either way would give us one day to explore somewhere between Launceston to Hobart. What would you suggest we could see on the way or are we trying to do too much?

Hopefully we will be back again in 6 months and can see more of the country then.

Looking forward to any suggestions.

Warm Regards

Jenni

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 Days in June Revised

Hi Jenni,

Itinerary looks good considering you have clients to see along the way. This obviously is helping you with reason to travel to certainplaces. I just have a query. I gather that you must be flying out of Launceston, seeing as you are driving back from Hobart to Perth? If this is the case, even though driving to hobart is do-able ( once again presuming you are driving down the middle, )Why go all the way to hobart, just for the day? IF you are departing from Launceston, and are coming back in 6 months, leave hobart to then, and concentrate on the NW cnr. rather than drive to hobart you could do a loop towards St Helen's down the coast abit either to St Mary's or further down to Bicheno, then head across towards Capbell town, and up to Launceston.

IF you are departing from Hobart then that is a different story! Perhaps I am missreading your itinerary!.

Cheers

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 Days in June Revised

Hi Jenni,

just call me an idiot. Of course, you are departing hobart to go to Perth WA! Opps, sorry I totally misread your writing. It is quite a pretty drive down the middle from Launcston towards Campbell town, and on to Hobart. Once again depending on your sighseeing, you could stay At Richmond for the night, as I think it is only about 25mins from the Airport. Lots to see around that area, oldest bridge etc. But hopefully some of the other locals (which I am not) may give you other comments. I am also planning our 4th return trip for late April, taking with us 2 first timer couples. Looking forwards to it. don't forget, June will very cool!.

Cheers

Mundaring, Western...
Level Contributor
55 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 Days in June Revised

Hi Flossy52,

Thanks for your comments. Yes we are flying into Hobart and have to fly out of Hobart back to Perth. With our family business we are lucky enough to be able to travel together and explore combining business with pleasure.

I thought if we drive down the middle back to Hobart this time, next time we visit we could do the other side. I will have a look at Richmond for our last night. Neither of us like big cities and prefer the smaller rural towns.

From your experience do you think we need two nights in Strahan or would one night be enough considering we plan to do the Train trip?

Regards

Jenni

Mundaring, Western...
Level Contributor
55 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 Days in June Revised

Woops I forgot to mention we spent between Christmas and New Years in Edinburgh, Scotland and loved the cold, snowy weather. I dont think we will have a problem and we still have our thermals :)

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,109 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 Days in June Revised

Your plan is looking far more clear at this stage. I'm afraid I still have no idea where Mooney is and you're going to have to give me a bigger hint. Is it the name of a business, or something?

Regarding Strahan v Queenstown, Strahan is far more scenic, but also quite expensive. Queenstown is a frontier mining town with some cheap motels. I'd choose Strahan if you're intent on sight-seeing. Driving through Queenstown is enough. I recommend Risby Cove for dinner in Strahan.

You could spend two nights in Strahan and do both the cruise and thje train. You'd still have time to drive to Cradle in the afternoon after either, so long as you drive from Strahan via Zeehan and not Queenstown.

It's 4.5 hours from Cradle to Hobart, so I'd recommend splitting that somewhere. Launceston is about half way. the Midland Highway (also called the Heritage Highway) from launceston to Hobart has some delightful small, convict-era villages including Ross and Oatlands. Launceston has the largest collection of 19th century architecture in Australia and is worth the visit. Try the guided historic walking tour: 1842.com.au/launceston_historic_walks.html

Luigi

Edited: 07 April 2010, 00:09
Tasmania
Level Contributor
444 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 Days in June Revised

I too am wondering where Mooney is...

Lani

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 Days in June Revised

Hi again Jenni,

We stayed at strahan about 12 years ago, and I agree with Lugi that it is more expensive than queenstown. But if you research there obviously are reasonably priced units/cabins etc. Definitely 2 nights IF you do the cruise, or only the 1 for the train. BUT, either way with the train ride, you are bused back to the original town where you came from. We intend to stay at Queenstown ( even though it is luna type of landscape). Very individual and unique landscape from the norm. I have also been told the train ride from Queenstown end is better than the other. But, everyones opinion is different. I certainly agree that if you stayed at strahan, head to cradle via Zeehan. Whether your stay in that area is 1 or 2 nights may also depend on weather. The cruise may not be nice if inclement weather. It also is much colder on that side of tassie. I gather you are having 2 days around, cradle! You might be lucky to experience snow, but it may be too early in the season. On way to queenstown don't forget to see the "Wall in the wilderness" near Derwent. This is a must!

I too wondered where Mooney was. Can't locate it during any searches around tassie?

Cheers

8. Re: 9 Days in June Revised

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2010, 05:18