We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campervan parking - towns and attractions

Brisbane
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Campervan parking - towns and attractions

Hi everyone,

We are planning to visit in mid-October for 3 weeks and will be flying in to Hobart, travelling around Tassie in a campervan and ending at Hobart. We will be travelling with our two young children (3 and 5). We are currently making up an itinerary and no doubt will be back with further questions, however my initial question is regarding the campervan itself.

I have read that the roads in Tasmania are generally quite good, so my question is more to do with parking at towns and attractions. We have never driven a large camper (5 berth) but don't anticipate too much trouble with the actual driving, just finding somewhere to park the monolith when we want to get out and walk!

Is Tasmania used to campervans and is parking them much of an issue?

Thanks

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Campervan parking - towns and attractions

Tasmania is certainly used to campervans on the roads: our main tourist clientelle is grey nomads.

Is it a problem to park them? Yes, except in the smaller villages. It is a real problem in the cities if it's your only means of transport. It's worthwhile working out where you're going to stay and then taking a look at the public transport options (busses), especially in Hobart and Launceston.

Love to help with further questions as you develop an itinerary,

Luigi

Tasmania
Level Contributor
444 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campervan parking - towns and attractions

Hi SalamderBris

Some towns in Tasmania are actually accredited as Motorhome Friendly Towns and provide options for parking - George Town is certainly one of those. I couldn't name them all but I'm guessing, as Luigi suggests, that it's mostly the smaller towns. Parking out of the centre and using public transport is certainly a good option. In Launceston you could park at Inveresk where there is a bit of space, and take advantage of the free Tiger Bus service, which does a loop around the cbd and back again. You will still have to pay for the parking.

Lani

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Campervan parking - towns and attractions

The smaller towns are fine and as Lani has said many are designated as Motorhome friendly towns.Latrobe where I was based has a good area just off the main street.Has facilities including for pump outs.

The major problem will be the cities.And I include Devonport and Burnie here.All car parks are Pay Parking.Yes even Maccas and the Tourist bureaus.It to me is one of the crazy things as tourism is obviously important to the local economy.

As far as i can recall all attractions have designated parking for caravans and motorhomes.I cant recall one in the North west that doesn't.

October should be great.Enjoy.

Austins Ferry
Level Contributor
146 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Campervan parking - towns and attractions

Public transport is a great idea in Hobart(would be too hard to park), we live 17klm north of Hobart and there is a caravan park not far from us. We often see people at the bus stop at there front entrance, and New Years Eve we always get the bus home and 3/4 of the people on there are heading to the caravan park. Saturday mornings there are always lots waiting for the bus, we always assume there off to Salamanca Market. You could comfortably walk to the Cadbury Factory ( might need a pram on the way back for your 3year old) and right next door is Moorilla Winery, my hubby isn't keen on the food(large plate with a small amount of food) but I like it and there fine with small kids.

caravanparkstasmania.com/treasure-island-car…

http://www.moorilla.com.au/

Brisbane
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Campervan parking - towns and attractions

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my question!

So in general, driving in a campervan around Tassie shouldn't be much of an issue, however finding parking in the biggest towns will require some planning. I will do some checking into public transport in the towns we will be visiting as suggested.

I am a little surprised that the car parks are pay parking, particularly at the tourist bureaus!!

I have spent most of this evening working out an itinerary for our 3 weeks, and I've probably packed too much in per day! I'm up to Day 15 at Tahune (we will be travelling counter-clockwise around Tassie) and I still haven't worked out how fit in the Heritage Highway. Back to the map...!

Thanks again everyone, much appreciated!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Campervan parking - towns and attractions

Hmmm.. If it weren't pay parking, wouldn't that part of the city be choked all day with campervans?

Luigi

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Campervan parking - towns and attractions

But Luigi Norman Ross,Spotlight carparks etc are pay parking.Not here on the Sunshine coast and we get our fair share of the Grey nomads in their campervans during winter but the car parks cope.

As for the tourist bureaus-why not 20-30 minute parking?Works everywhere else.It really is the one thing that gets to me about Tasmania.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Campervan parking - towns and attractions

Both Harvey Norman and Spotlight in Launceston have free parking for their customers - in huge car parks where everyone else must pay. That copes with both needs: the need to provide free parking for genuine customers; and the need to deter all-day free-loaders taking customers' parking.

Of course I see a need to encourage tourists, but how do you deter the all-day free-loaders?

And, there's a 15 minute, campervan-size parking spot right outside Launceston Tourist Info Centre that almost never has anyone in it! Puzzle me that one!

Luigi

Edited: 26 May 2010, 00:04
Brisbane
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Campervan parking - towns and attractions

So is there anywhere in Launceston (for instance) where they prefer you park your campervans? A dedicated parking area that is large enough for their size but doesn't clog up parking for regular cars?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Campervan parking - towns and attractions

Yes, there's a huge parking lot (pay) in front of the Queen Victoria Museum at Inveresk - just across the river from the CBD. And there's a FREE bus into the city from there. http://www.metrotas.com.au/timetables/view/97

Luigi